Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Can dermarolling cause fine lines?  (Read 6139 times)

rougegorge

• Forum member
Can dermarolling cause fine lines?
« on: April 07, 2013, 12:03:40 PM »
Hi!

I am a 28 year old female. I have recently used a 1,5 mm dermastamp on my forehead in an attempt to reduce mild acne scarring and a few fine lines. I also used vitamin c serum and Infadolan. I only had one needling session, three weeks ago.
To my utter disappointement, the part of my forehead where I have used the dermastamp is now covered with tiny fine lines. Needless to say I am devastated. The surrounding skin has remained unchanged.
Is there any hope for my skin to heal? I just don't understand what has happened.

I would like to add that I have used the dermastamp on other parts of my face with no problems.

Thanks

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Re: Can dermarolling cause fine lines?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 05:49:34 PM »
I am very surprised and to be honest I do not understand what happened. I know this effect happens often with Tretinoin cream, due to its initial drying effect. I wrote in another forum posting:

"Initially, Tretinoin makes skin dry.  Wrinkles and lines are more visible on dry skin and that is why it may seem in some cases that Tretinoin worsened wrinkles but it did not.  Long term, Tretinoin improves wrinkles."

Have you been by chance using anything that dries the skin?

Dermarolling also dries the skin but this effect usually lasts only a few days after dermarolling when the skin is being renewed and the skin is also rough and tender.

Vit. C rarely also may cause dryness in some individuals.

The processes in the skin that were started by dermarolling have not yet been completed in three weeks so the skin will still be changing.

rougegorge

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 07:41:52 PM »
Thank you so much for your reply.

No I haven't been using anything that dries the skin. I did use Tretinoin as a teenager about ten years ago and unfortunately was not well informed by my dermatologist on how to use it properly. I spent several summers sunbathing on the mediterranean coast with it on my forehead. I think this has done terrible damage to my skin and I'm wondering wether the needling has brought all of it up to the surface?

I'm really worried that I've broken the collagen in my skin. Is that even possible?

I think I'm just going to have to wait and see what happens during the next few weeks. Should I go on using Infadolan?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 04:42:50 PM »
Yes, you should continue with Infadolan and hopefully the skin texture will gradually improve. I do not understand why it happened on your forehead but not on those other areas where you also used a dermastamp.

The problem is that UV radiation damages collagen and it can damage DNA but at the same time it is crucial for our health because sunshine is by far our most effective source of vit. D, which forms in the skin upon sun exposure.

Vit. D is very important for many reasons including proper functioning of our immune system - crucial to remain healthy. Many recent studies showed that vit. D even plays a role in cancer prevention.

Do not excessively sunbathe but do not completely shelter yourself from the sun.  Every now and then, expose yourself for about 15 minutes to the sun with enough of exposed skin to get sufficient vit. D.

If you have dark skin, you need to stay about three times longer in the sun, as dark skin contains more melanin pigment which is a natural UV filter.

Thirty minutes of full-body sun exposure causes the synthesis of 10,000 to 20,000 IU vitamin D. Taking such amounts in supplements would be toxic - for a reason not fully understood. The levels are not toxic if trigger by sun exposure. Oral supplementation of vit. D is a very poor substitute for sun exposure. Vit. D, a hormone, really is intended to be created in our skin, not absorbed by our digestive system.