Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Once dermarolling do i need to always apply sunscreen?  (Read 9451 times)

annie71

• Forum member
Once dermarolling do i need to always apply sunscreen?
« on: January 05, 2013, 08:41:21 AM »
I know it is advised to stay out of the sun for the first couple of days after doing dermarolling with a thickness of 1mm or more and then to apply suncreen.  Once one starts regularly dermarolling, say every 6 weeks, it is important to then always apply sunscreen, not just the few days after?

I'm not sure yet whether I want to use retin A but will and have used vitamin c.  Is it also important to use sunscreen daily when using vit c, even if applying at night, and only using vitamin c, not even dermarolling?

Many thanks in advance

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Re: Once dermarolling do i need to always apply sunscreen?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 06:06:52 AM »
Excessive sun exposure is the main reason of skin aging and you should protect your face with or without dermarolling.

If you are not prone to acne, have no hyperpigmentation or stretch marks or stubborn acne scars, there is no reason for using the A-Ret cream.

Vit. C application doesn’t make the skin more prone to sunburn so you do not have to use a sunscreen.  If you apply vit. C in the evening, wash it off in the morning.

IMPORTANT:

Do not completely shelter yourself from the sun. Sunshine is our most efficient source of vit. D, which forms in the skin upon sun exposure.

Vit. D is very important for many reasons, including the proper functioning of our immune system - crucial to remain healthy.

Do not excessively sunbathe but every now and then, expose yourself for about 15 minutes to the sun with lots of exposed skin to get enough vit. D.

If you have dark skin, you need to stay about three times longer in the sun as dark skin functions as a natural sun protection.

Consider vit. D supplementation during the winter months.

NbaFan

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 05:53:19 PM »
Do not excessively sunbathe but every now and then, expose yourself for about 15 minutes to the sun with lots of exposed skin to get enough vit. D.

You really mean, 15 min WITHOUT suncream? I have acne scars, broken capillaries and hyperpigmentation. And I thought its very important to avoid any kind of sun without suncream, so I was wrong?
Will broken capillaries and hyperpigmentation not get worse( more red) ?

mustardseed46

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 05:17:23 PM »
Supplementing with vitamin D3 is a perfectly good way of increasing your levels. Doing blood testing is wise to monitor it. A generally safe and effective amount to take is around 5000iu. Oil caps absorb better than tablets. Your probably young, but the older you get the less effective obtaining sufficient D3 levels via the suns rays is. This is something seldom talked about.
Also, you would want to use Tretinoin for more than just the benefits mentioned above.
Tretinoin will increase collagen synthesis and prevent skin aging by inhibiting MMPs like collagenase and elastase, enzymes that degrade support proteins in your skin. It will enhance hyaluronic acid synthesis that adds volume and hydration to firm skin. It will help repair the daily damage that gets thru your antioxidant serum and sunscreen. To say the least, that is something you want to be using. I've seen no evidence that starting Tretinoin as young as 25 or so is a bad thing.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 09:18:42 AM »
Yes, hyperpigmentations must be protected from sun exposure as much as possible and you should always apply sunscreen on your face but you can occasionally expose the skin elsewhere to get vit. D.

The problem is that UV radiation damages collagen and it can damage DNA but at the same time it is crucial for our health because sunshine is by far our most effective source of vit. D, which forms in the skin upon sun exposure.

Vit. D is very important for many reasons including proper functioning of our immune system - crucial to remain healthy. Many recent studies showed that vit. D even plays a role in cancer prevention.

Thirty minutes of full-body sun exposure causes the synthesis of 10,000 to 20,000 IU vitamin D. Taking such amounts in supplements would be toxic - for a reason not fully understood. The levels are not toxic if triggered by sun exposure. Oral supplementation of vit. D is is not a full substitute for sun exposure. Vit. D, a hormone, really is intended to be created in our skin, not absorbed by our digestive system. However, supplementation and food intake with vit. D is better than nothing, especially in winter time.

I am not advocating excessive sun exposure or sunbathing!  I am advocating very reasonable, occasional, 15 minutes lasting sun exposure.

You do not have to expose yourself very often. The half-life of vit. D is long - about 8 weeks. It means that the existing levels of vit. D in your body will halve every two months.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 12:09:00 PM by SarahVaughter »

NbaFan

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 11:16:44 AM »
Thanks Sarah. I really really appreciate your answer and its very kind of you to help us with your informations.

I am still a little confused.
So I have a little scarring ( nose and cheeks) broken capillaries and hyperpigmentations.

If I understand you correctly,(at max for 15mins and at least once in 2 months),  I can/should go out with just protecting my hyperpigmentation. Is that right?

mustardseed46

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 04:42:44 PM »
10,000 iu of D3 is most certainly not toxic. Not sure where you heard that. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this issue.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 04:53:48 PM »
I should have used the word "daily" for clarity. The daily upper limit is 4000 IU/day, as per Ross AC, Taylor CL, Yaktine AL Del Valle HB (2011). Dietary Reference Intakes for Calcium and Vitamin D. Washington, D.C: National Academies Press. p. 435. ISBN 0-309-16394-3.

So that is well below the 10,000-20,000 IU I said was toxic.

10.000 IU is indeed not an acutely toxic dose. Taking doses in the same order of magnitude (40,000 IU/day instead of my 10,000 to 20,000) orally has proven to be toxic after a few months.
If we take my upper quote for "toxicity", 20,000 IU, that's half of the dose that was found toxic in the studies. So my statement is correct, only not as an acute, but a chronic (daily) dose.

A US government website says that oral vit. D doses > 10,000 IU/day are toxic, vindicating my statement (except you are right that I should have used the word "daily"):

https://http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-HealthProfessional/

Long-term intakes above the UL increase the risk of adverse health effects [1] (Table 4). Most reports suggest a toxicity threshold for vitamin D of 10,000 to 40,000 IU/day and serum 25(OH)D levels of 500–600 nmol/L (200–240 ng/mL). While symptoms of toxicity are unlikely at daily intakes below 10,000 IU/day, the FNB pointed to emerging science from national survey data, observational studies, and clinical trials suggesting that even lower vitamin D intakes and serum 25(OH)D levels might have adverse health effects over time. The FNB concluded that serum 25(OH)D levels above approximately 125–150 nmol/L (50–60 ng/mL) should be avoided, as even lower serum levels (approximately 75–120 nmol/L or 30–48 ng/mL) are associated with increases in all-cause mortality, greater risk of cancer at some sites like the pancreas, greater risk of cardiovascular events, and more falls and fractures among the elderly. The FNB committee cited research which found that vitamin D intakes of 5,000 IU/day achieved serum 25(OH)D concentrations between 100–150 nmol/L (40–60 ng/mL), but no greater. Applying an uncertainty factor of 20% to this intake value gave a UL of 4,000 IU which the FNB applied to children aged 9 and older, with corresponding lower amounts for younger children.

Excessive sun exposure does not result in vitamin D toxicity because the sustained heat on the skin is thought to photodegrade previtamin D3 and vitamin D3 as it is formed [6]. In addition, thermal activation of previtamin D3 in the skin gives rise to various non-vitamin D forms that limit formation of vitamin D3 itself. Some vitamin D3 is also converted to nonactive forms [1]. Intakes of vitamin D from food that are high enough to cause toxicity are very unlikely. Toxicity is much more likely to occur from high intakes of dietary supplements containing vitamin D.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 05:14:14 PM by SarahVaughter »