Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Dr McCaffery 0.75mm roller use daily  (Read 13694 times)

simon17777

Dr McCaffery 0.75mm roller use daily
« on: March 28, 2010, 02:30:26 PM »
Hi

Dr Mccaffery recommend her patients to use their skin roller 0.75mm daily to treat atrophic acne scars. I thought collagen needs time to grow. Here is their quote "Needling will not destroy newly formed collagen, the production of collagen via needling is a cumulative process, the result of dermal injury." What do you think of this?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 04:30:13 PM »
In the link to Dr. Fernandes  you posted in the other thread, Dr. Fernandes disagrees with Dr. McCaffery because he says that the minimum interval for 1 mm rollers is one week. This implies that the minimum interval for 0.75 mm needles must be at least more than a couple of days.

So Dr. Des Fernandes and Dr. Phillipa McCaffery are in disagreement.

It gets even more interesting: The patent holder of the Original Dermaroller™ disagrees with both Dr. Fernandes and Dr. McCaffery, because the patent holders advise very much longer treatment intervals.

The Original Dermaroller™ patent holders say that a 0.2 mm roller can only be used two to three times a week. So they would strongly advise against Dr. McCaffery's practice.

We were aware of all this conflicting advice, and based on that conflicting advice and what we learned from the most recent published studies, we came to advise what we do at the moment.

And not even comparing their "before and after" pictures will help - they all have those and they all look impressive..

I want to add that it is not in our financial interest to advise a long pause between rolling sessions - we would sell several times more rollers (they would blunt faster) if people would roll with much shorter intervals. So our advice is based on literature research - not commercial motives.

simon17777

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 03:41:10 AM »
I would like to read up on these new published literature.

Could you please give post the links so I can take a look at them?

Also, how long should I wait between for a 0.5mm, a 1.0mm, a 1.5mm, or a 2.0mm dermaroller?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 02:57:24 PM »
Please read my forum posting about inflammation:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/How-long-does-the-inflammation-stage-lasts-after-rolling-with-long-needles

• 0.20 mm : Up to 4 times a week

• 0.5 mm:  twice a week (three times a week if you roll thick skin)

• 1 mm: Once in 10-14 days

• 1.5 mm: Once in 3-4 weeks

• 2 mm: Once in 5 weeks

(These recommendations are also to be found in our dermarolling instructions PDF and on our sales page)

But it also depends where you roll. Skin thickness is not the same all over the body. The thickest skin is on the soles of the feet, palms of the hands and on the back. If you for ex. roll the stretchmarks on your back with a 1 mm roller, you'll hardly notice it. If you rolled your upper eyelid with the same roller (but the upper eyelid area must NOT be rolled!), you would hit your eye because the skin is very thin there. I just want to explain you that it is difficult to give ideal general recommendations on rolling frequency or needle length.

There is not enough data to be certain about the optimal interval between dermarolling sessions for various needle lengths and various skin problems. We prefer to stay on the safe side with our recommendations. No damage can be done by rolling less frequently and rolling a few days sooner or some days later is not going to make much of a difference in your results.

There aren't many ways to rejuvenate or remodel skin. One of the best methods is to cause mild skin damage.  Our body will renew/remodel the skin by fixing that damage.

That is one of the principles of dermarolling.

That is also the principle behind most laser rejuvenation treatments. Laser either evaporates the entire top layer of the skin or it evaporates only fractions of the skin (Fraxel laser).

Have a look how it works, it's interesting:

https://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHvRZ-LPhW8&feature=related

With magnification:

https://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntyz4M2Ybf8&NR=1

A dermaroller makes tiny holes mechanically, whilst a fractional laser makes tiny holes thermically. But in principle it is the same. The holes made by a fractional laser are not deeper than that of a long-needled dermaroller.  I have never heard a "Fraxel" surgeon recommending the procedure to be performed daily or weekly or even bi-weekly. The treatments are usually spaced out weeks apart and the patients will be informed that collagen production will continue many months after treatment.

Another way how to cause damage to the skin is acid peels. Contrary to a dermaroller, acid peels remove the entire top layer or layers of the skin so it is not the same.

Nevertheless, nobody recommends doing acid peels very frequently, especially not the deep ones.

So far, skin regeneration methods follow this pattern:

Cause damage – let it completely heal and regenerate – wait – cause damage – let it completely heal and regenerate – wait – cause damage, etc.

Katarina

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 06:39:34 PM »
I agree it's better to be on the safe side ... if I were to roll just once with lets say a 1.5mm roller, how long afterwards would my body be producing new collagen ... I understand your previous statement - There is not enough data to be certain about the optimal interval between dermarolling sessions for various needle lengths and various skin problems

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »
We are basically cheating the body by dermarolling. We cause tiny skin micro-injuries by rolling. Our body immediately starts to fix the damage and thus we trick it into producing new skin.

Collagen production starts very quickly but eventually those initial types of collagen are replaced by different types of collagen.

Wound healing has several phases: Hemostasis + inflammation, then proliferation/reconstruction and finally maturation/remodeling.

In the maturation stage, the collagen is replaced by a stronger form of collagen and its pattern is rearranged, the wound continues to contract.

Maturation can take several months.

If you roll every month for example, the effect is cumulative.

Nevertheless our skin continues to age, it continues to be damaged by sun exposure etc., A roller can't stop aging or block the sun damage.

The texture and quality of our skin is largely determined by genetic factors. If your skin has large pores, you cannot expect that a dermaroller will turn it into an even, peachy, perfect complexion.