Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: 1.5 mm roller and discoloration?  (Read 7747 times)

kbananas

• Forum member
1.5 mm roller and discoloration?
« on: June 29, 2013, 08:14:08 AM »
Hi,

I want to roll old white stretch marks on my stomach and sides with a 1.5 mm derma roller. My stretch marks are about 8 years old. They are fairly thin but are indented and shiny. My concern is that using the derma roller will cause discoloration of the normal skin around my stretch marks. Does this happen?

Is it better to use just a 1-line derma roller instead of an 8-line one because it is more narrow and could help me avoid any pricking of the normal, not stretch marked skin? Does this pricking harm the regular skin? Would using only a 1-line roller be as effective as a regular 8-line?

Additionally, I am wondering what creams or products you think are best for my marks?

Any advice is appreciated!

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Re: 1.5 mm roller and discoloration?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 06:22:14 PM »
You should combine your dermaroller with a more targeted instrument such as a 1.5 mm dermastamp or the single needle. If you are prone to pigmentations, buy the single needle and precisely target just the stretch marks.

There is no other way to find out how your skin reacts to dermarolling than trying it on a small area of skin.

Also buy our 0.1% Tretinoin cream. Follow more or less the routine I describe here:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/stretch-marks-from-pregnancy/

Pricking does not harm the regular skin.

Hyperpigmentation can occur if you are really very prone to hyperpigmentations.

I will paste here my reply from another forum thread concerning pigmentations:

Sometimes, it is residual inflammation. Try this: buy a non steroidal anti-inflammatory such as Nurofen rapid capsules (it contains liquid ibuprofen). For sale in pharmacies (OTC). Prick the capsule and apply some of it at least twice a day on the pigmentation. It may sting.

And sometimes it is overproduced melanin pigment. Melanin is skin pigment that is normally present in the skin but unfortunately the skin often reacts to skin injuries by overproducing the pigment. Even very small skin disturbances, like a bug bite, can in some individuals result in the overproduction of melanin in that spot. What helps then is Tyrosinase inhibitors such as hydroquinone. They inhibit the enzyme that converts tyrosine to melanin. They do not remove existing melanin, they only prevent formation of excessive melanin in the future so you have to use them long term.

It can also be a combination of residual inflammation and melanin overproduction.

What sometimes helps (in both cases) are products that speed up the turnover of the skin - microneedling, acid peels, Tretinoin cream etc.

beaglemaster

• Forum member
Re: 1.5 mm roller and discoloration?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 07:55:05 PM »
My concern is that using the derma roller will cause discoloration of the normal skin around my stretch marks. Does this happen?

That's exactly what happened to me, even though I was very careful not to over do it. Had to stop for a few months to allow the surrounding skin to return to normal. Then I began again with the one line roller and single needle. I will not use the broader derma roller again, because of my experience of discoloring the surrounding skin.

Good luck!