Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Less pain than thought and ? about using single needle,roller, & stamp together  (Read 5878 times)

hopeful

• Forum member
Hi!  Thank you Sarah for this wonderful forum!  I am brand new to rolling and wanted to assure others new to the process that it was far less painful than I thought.  I used a 1.5 dermastamp and 1.5 own doc roller in the same session, with only a brief application of Solarcaine that I washed off before starting to roll, and I was perfectly comfortable throughout.  I just placed my second order of a .5 own doc roller so I can roll up to 3 times a week in between my every 3 week session with the 1.5 roller and I also added a 1.5 3 line roller to make the eyes and above the lips easier to roll.  I also added in the single needles to help with a few acne scars that are pitted and full of white, stubborn scar tissue.  My question is can you ever derma stamp, derma roll, and single needle in the same session?  If so, in what order?  If not, how to space them out please?  I don't want to overdo and know it's important to let the skin heal, but I couldn't find any information that addressed using all 3 methods in a single session.  How many days should I wait with using the .5 dermaroller before I use the 1.5 one? 
I also soaked my instruments in 70% ethyl alcohol purchased from CVS for several hours before I came across a thread on the forum that showed the CVS brand contains acetone.  I raced to get the rollers out and rinsed them thoroughly but I am worried that I could have damaged the glue holding the needles  in the roller.  I inspected them and they seem fine and have since mixed up the chloramine T solution and cleaned them that way, but do you think the needles will be okay?  Thanks again, and I have taken before photos of the several deep acne scars and white scars I have on my face, so if I see improvement as I expect, I will post the after photos.  Thank you again Sarah for giving us hope!

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
The painfulness of dermaneedling is really individual as well as other factors such as how long the skin remains red, how much pinpoint bleeding there is, how much the skin peels afterward setc.

I am glad you found it bearable, even with long needles.

Solarcain products contain a low percentage of the numbing ingredient benzocaine or lidocaine and it likely helped a little.

Yes, you can use the single needle, the dermastamp and the dermarolling during the same session. It does not matter what you start with but for practical reasons it is better to start with the most targeted instrument and finish with the least targeted one. It means first needle, then stamp and then roll. The reason for this sequence is that if you fist roll, the entire area will become red and you will not be able to see and target precisely the scars or the wrinkles (or whatever is your goal) with the dermastamp or the single needle.

The general rule is, do not roll again if the skin is still red, dry, tender or swollen from a previous session.

I think you do not have to worry about the glue of the needles because the main ingredient of that product was ethanol and all the other ingredients except the main one are added in very small quantities.

To be honest, it did not cross my mind they would add acetone to rubbing alcohol because rubbing alcohol is intended for skin disinfection and there is no reason to add acetone.

I guess they added a little acetone to denature it (to make it impossible to drink).

Ethanol is usually denatured with isopropyl alcohol.

Rubbing alcohol usually contains ethanol or isopropyl alcohol or their mixture.

The only reason why a very high percentage of (not denatured) ethanol is regulated is to prevent it to be used for drinking and thus avoiding the very high taxation of alcohol that is normally levied for alcohol indented for consumption.

In other words, they have to still allow for example laboratories or hospitals to purchase a high percentage ethanol cheaply (without high added taxes) but they have to prevent that it is sold for consumption because alcohol for consumption is subjected to huge taxation.

This is the reason why it is so difficult to get ethanol that is not denatured by isopropyl, acetone etc.

Isopropyl alcohol is also a solvent but we found out that in percentages up to or around 50% there was no problem to use it for soaking the dermarolling instruments. Several of our customers soaked their dermarollers in 80% isopropyl alcohol and the roller glue disintegrated.

Thank you for documenting your dermaneedling experience!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 12:30:08 PM by SarahVaughter »

hopeful

• Forum member
Thank you so much Sarah for your quick and detailed response.  I appreciate all the information so much.  I am happy to know my stamp and roller are hopefully okay.
I did not experience much redness or peeling afterwards at all, so that may be due in part to my having used obagi products and retin a for the past 10 years.
I will probably be more aggressive with my next rolling session since I know I tolerated the first one well.  Thanks again and I already see that my scars look better even after 1 session and know that is probably because of inflammation but I am happy nonetheless.

Thank you Sarah!