Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Age to start for aging prevention/dermarolling with urticaria pigmentosa?  (Read 8632 times)

lillyish

• Forum member
I'm 29 with few signs of aging. I do have stretchmarks and a lot of acne and am thinking about dermarolling for those issues. I was also wondering if it's appropriate to dermaroll to prevent signs of aging? If so, what would the protocol be for that - the same as for reversing the signs of aging?

Also, I have urticaria pigmentosa. My skin isn't very reactive, but I do have a lot of spots that are associated with hive formation and my skin does produce hives/subsequent spots in response to long-term moderate-severe irritation/damage. (Though I don't get hives/spots from scratches or puncture wounds.) I would test dermarolling on a small area to make sure, but do you happen to know if dermarolling with urticaria pigmentosa is completely contraindicated? (From what I've read, getting tattoos is advised against, but a lot of people with urticaria pigmentosa are able to get tattoos without problems, if that's helpful information.)

Lastly, for testing the effects of dermarolling, can I use a dermastamp (to hopefully save money) or single needles? (Making sure to create a similar amount of punctures as rolling would cause.)

Thank you so much! This website and forum is wonderful!

lillyish

• Forum member
Okay, I did search before asking about using dermarolling for aging prevention, but apparently not well enough, because today I found a thread with an answer (1 mm on neck/etc every 10-14 days). Sorry about that.

I do have a quick related question, though: in that thread (https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/best-routine-for-young-skin/msg3044/#msg3044) you said that later the poster could use a 1.5 mm instead of the 1 mm. When would that be, approximately? And does that advice apply to the face as well?

Another quick question, I'm afraid: if I'm already going to be using 1.5 mm on stretchmarks, should I just go ahead and use it on my neck/etc for prevention? My skin has been thinning with age, especially on my chest (very visible veins), though, so would 1 mm be better for now?

Thank you so much. I promise I will be a loyal customer in return for your time and advice. I'm sorry this post ended up adding more questions, I was intending it to do the opposite!

It occurred to me that you might need more information about my intentions. I have some discoloration on my forearms, a little on my face (seems to be melasma, though), acne on my face, thinning skin especially on my chest and inner upper and lower arms, thin stretchmarks in multiple places on my body, and increased drying of the skin on my neck and upper chest. And those urticaria pigmentosa spots all over, especially on my hands, arms, and legs. I'd like to reverse what I can and maintain my skin as well as possible as I get older.

Thank you again.

lillyish

• Forum member
Ack, I'm sorry, something else occurred to me: I use Differin .3% on my face and that keeps the acne mostly under control. Can I keep using that instead of tretinoin, or should I switch (or use both)?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Thank you for your praise!

Due to your urticaria pigmentosa, you should not risk the regular dermarolling of your entire face, you should spot-treat just the wrinkles and the stretch marks with a dermastamp and/or the single needles and each time, treat only a small area (at least until you know that mcironeedling is OK for you).

Dermarolling and any other type of mcironeedling (stamping, needling with the single needle) triggers short lasting inflammation and that could theoretically worsen your urticaria pigmentosa.

For stretch marks, buy a 1.5 mm dermastamp with 35 needles and a Tretinoin cream. Follow more or less the routine that is described in this forum thread but without dermarolling and without vit. C:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/Stretch-Marks-individual-needling

Tretinoin is acidic and it could theoretically also trigger urticaria pigmentosa flares so try it on a small area first.

In your case, ignore our instructions about dry brushing or exfoliating with fine salt. Any kind of skin irritation should be avoided.

Regarding wrinkles, the size guide is here (choose a dermastamp and the single needles only):

https://http://dermaroller.owndoc.com/dermaroller-instructions.pdf

lillyish

• Forum member
Thank you so much! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. And thank you very much too for your article about the psychological effects of stretch marks. I plan to print it so I can re-read it when my perspective gets too focused on being physically perfect instead of being healthy and happy. I'm so glad I found your website!

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
I will answer the rest of your questions later.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
if I'm already going to be using 1.5 mm on stretchmarks, should I just go ahead and use it on my neck/etc for prevention?

Your case is specific due to your condition so you should only start using dermarollers after a long time of using a dermastamp and when you are absolutely sure microneedling does not worsen your condition.

I have some discoloration on my forearms, a little on my face (seems to be melasma, though),

You could try hydroquinone cream for your Melasma but I am not sure whether it could worsen your urticaria pigmentosa.

Tretinoin cream or your Differin should help discolorations.

Dermarolling speeds up the turnover of the skin and that helps diminishing pigmentations.

acne on my face,

A 1.5 mm dermastamp.

thinning skin especially on my chest and inner upper and lower arms,

Start with a regular 1 mm dermaroller and later you can go for 1.5 mm size. The same for your neck.

thin stretchmarks in multiple places on my body,

I have already answered that in my previous posting.

and increased drying of the skin on my neck and upper chest

Apply oils. Oils are the best moisturizers because they prevent the evaporation of water from the skin. Dry skin is a result of an impaired skin barrier that prevents water evaporation from the skin. Sprinkle a cotton pad with tap water, add almond oil or other oil and apply it on your skin.

Ack, I'm sorry, something else occurred to me: I use Differin .3% on my face and that keeps the acne mostly under control. Can I keep using that instead of tretinoin, or should I switch (or use both)?

Use Differin. It would be superfluous to use Tretinoin when you have Differin, since it is a similar retinoid.

lillyish

• Forum member
Thank you so much!