Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Iodine + Dermarolling  (Read 11710 times)

SeekLearn

• Forum member
Iodine + Dermarolling
« on: August 22, 2013, 03:21:51 AM »
With the aid of David M. Derry's scar regeneration documentation, I successfully improved the appearance of my 8-month-old hypertrophic road-rash scar (located on anterior of forearm) in 24 days using only topical treatments of Lugol's 5% Iodine solution. I recently took a break so that I could adequately assess any progress that was made. It's almost impossible to tell what the scar looks like when it is saturated with iodine and peeling skin. I've included a before picture and a very recent picture of what my scar presently looks like.

As you can see, the scar has made a clear transformation. I believe the discoloration surrounding the scar in the recent picture is from a combination of inflammation/apoptosis/iodine staining -- it is gradually fading. It's hard to see in the pictures, but there is thinner scarring surrounding the larger scar tissue, which is why I was painting those areas. I am about to begin treatment again, but I would also like to incorporate the use of a dermaroller to see how it impacts the regeneration of the scar. From what I understand, dermarolling breaks down the excess collagen to allow for softening/flattening of the scar. In theory, iodine is supposed to be capable of actually regenerating scar tissue back to normal tissue. My use of a dermaroller to break down the excess collagen might seem excessive when you consider the regeneration theory, however, presently, my progress only supports that iodine can improve the appearance of scars, not fully regenerate them. What I am sure of is that it will help the iodine penetrate deeper, and perhaps the damaged tissue response will speed up the regeneration process.

I would appreciate any feedback on how I should approach dermarolling based on the type and present condition of my hypertrophic scar. I expect to continue the documentation of my treatments in blog format since there is limited photographic documentation of treating scars with iodine. If dermarolling can be beneficial to iodine treatment, it would benefit anyone treating scars for me to find out.

SeekLearn

• Forum member
Re: Iodine + Dermarolling
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 03:34:29 AM »
I just realized that my caption under the after shot is phrased wrong. The second picture was not taken 24 days after stopping treatment, it was taken a few days after 24 consecutive days of treatment

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 06:52:01 AM »
I have written about the iodine method here:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/iodine-scar-reduction/msg258/#msg258

I will answer your questions later.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 01:55:56 PM »
discoloration surrounding the scar in the recent picture is from a combination of inflammation/apoptosis/iodine staining

I think you are right.

iodine can improve the appearance of scars, not fully regenerate them

Currently there is no method that can completely remove deep scars but there are methods to significantly improve their appearance.

From what I understand, dermarolling breaks down the excess collagen to allow for softening/flattening of the scar

In my reply #3 of this forum thread, there is explained why mcironeedling helps raised scars:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/needlingdermarolling-hypertrophic-scar/

I suggest buying a 1.5 mm dermastamp (not a dermaroller) with 35 needles and needle the scar every three weeks (without iodine). This should further improve the scar.

When the scar seems not to improve any more from dermastamping alone, start using iodine again. To enhance iodine penetration, do not fully insert the 1.5 mm needles but use just the tips of the needles to prick the scar. Apply iodine right after. Be careful and watch the scar every day so that it does not end up indented (indentation cased by apoptosis).

Please let us know your results.

SeekLearn

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 07:26:19 PM »
Thank you, Sarah, I appreciate your feedback and suggestions.

I will purchase a stamp and follow your suggested regimen. I will post again when further progress is made.