Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Dermaroller pressure and rolling frequency - very confused  (Read 24819 times)

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Dermaroller pressure and rolling frequency - very confused
« on: April 13, 2010, 05:05:25 AM »
Hi Sarah,

I've contacted you before but I'm waiting for your stock of single needles to

arrive before I order.

This has got to be the most puzzling things for me - On so many sites they

recommend the derma rollers to be rolled on the face without causing

any bleeding so that you just get a tingly feeling - and it's not painful.

Then I go to youtube and all the films show firm rolling and excessive bleeding

Question - How much pressure do you use ?

Do you push roller in until skin sits against roller plastic so that needle is

in the skin by the depth of the needle - causing obvious pin point bleeding? Clearly painful though.

OR

Do you just run roller over skin causing tingling sensation? ( which most sites

advise and say you can do 3 times a week  ) Isn't this a waste of time?

One forum mentions that a girl pressed roller into skinn causing bleeding and was told she was doing

it wrong as it would be too painful.

I'M VERY CONFUSED as your site says for example use 1mm roller once every 2 weeks approx.

not 3 to 5 times in a week like other sites

I believe your way is the right way BUT

Hi Julian,

Skin is very tough because it is our protective layer. It is not easy to penetrate the skin, especially not with many needles in one go. You can make penetration easier if you soften the skin by taking a hot (steam-) bath prior to rolling. You should put moderate pressure on a dermaroller. Not too much and not too little. If you do not put any pressure on the roller then the needles only go superficially and you can roll more frequently. I would compare it to tooth brushing – too much pressure is not good and too little is not efficient..

The thickness of the skin (epidermis + dermis) is about 0.3 mm on the eyelids, 1.5 mm on the thigh, 1.8 mm on the back and over 2 mm at the soles of the feet.  It varies depending where on the body it is and it varies between individuals as well.  Furthermore, men usually have thicker skin than women. A 1.5 mm roller penetrates about 1.3 mm into the skin, when applied with sufficient pressure.

These varying skin thicknesses are responsible for the fact that some of our customers have pinpoint bleeding on the face with a 0.5 mm roller and some do not get any pinpoint bleeding with a 1.5 mm roller on the face, not even with a lot of pressure. That is why it is very difficult to give general recommendations concerning the needle length etc. - even assuming that all customers use the same rolling pressure.

The dermaroller's patent holder doesn’t produce dermarollers longer than 1.5 mm and they state that needles longer than 1.5 mm are contradicted. Their patients do not get faces full of blood, just occasional pinpoint bleeding. That is what you get with a 1.5 mm roller. You'll see more blood spots if your roll with 1.5 mm on thin skin such as that of the neck.

Studies showed that the collagen induced by rolling was not deposited deeper than 0.5 mm.

Some surgeons use dermarollers with 3 mm long needles (those "bloody" YouTube videos are from rolling with needles longer than 1.5 mm and they cause a bloodbath) but there is no evidence that those work better than 1.5 mm rollers. This is not our theory - this is what the Swiss dermatologists who patented the Original Dermaroller say on their own website. And they sell exclusively to clinics and other professionals. 3 mm rollers are unsuitable for home use since they carry the risk of infection and nerve damage. We think that those rollers are a marketing gimmick, intended to persuade people not to home-roll but to pay through the nose for a "bloody treatment" instead, because that would be somehow be "better".

Your goal is to produce collagen in the dermis. A 1.5 mm roller will reach the dermis. That is all you need. The epidermis has no blood supply. The dermis has irregular, small and relatively sparsely distributed capillaries in its upper part and a denser network of larger capillaries in its deeper part.  

We sell a 2 mm dermaroller for thick skin areas such as the stretchmarks on the back or the buttocks.

We also now sell a specially designed single needle for targeted intensive needling of specific skin problems such as acne scars, stretchmarks, surgical scars, wrinkles etc. You will get more pinpoint bleeding with this targeted needling, but the results are worth it.

Rolling with 1.5 mm needles triggers inflammation: https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/How-long-does-the-inflammation-stage-lasts-after-rolling-with-long-needles

There aren't many ways to rejuvenate or remodel skin. One of the best methods is to cause mild skin damage. Our body will renew/remodel the skin by fixing that damage.

That is one of the principles of dermarolling.

That is also the principle behind most laser rejuvenation treatments. A Laser either evaporates the entire top layer of the skin or it evaporates only fractions of the skin (Fraxel laser).

Fractional lasers can be set up for going superficially into the skin or going deep – to a maximum of 1.7 mm. The reason why there is almost no bleeding is because they make holes by thermic damage - evaporating the skin (Fraxel repair). That heat coagulates the capillaries and that’s why it doesn’t bleed. Have a look how fractional laser makes holes in the skin:

https://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHvRZ...eature=related  

Our general recommendations are always on the safe side.  If you are a male with thick skin you can roll more frequently.

The patent holders of the Dermaroller say that the smallest permissible interval to roll with long needles is six weeks. The longest needle length roller they manufacture is 1.5 mm and the longest needle length they sell to private individuals is 0.2 mm. So there is no concensus amongst experts, and our seemingly conservative interval guidelines are therefore considered liberal by their experts.

If you're a woman and you roll your neck then you should roll once every two weeks.  I am just trying to explain that it is impossible to give general recommendations that would ideally suit every single area of the skin, every single skin problem and every single individual. You have to adjust based on your unique situation and the general guidelines we supply.