Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: frequency of treatments and results  (Read 9277 times)

tedmosby

frequency of treatments and results
« on: June 26, 2010, 09:48:21 AM »
i often read 2-3 treatments with the dermaroller are enough to get results for acne scars.

but what happens if you roll more often (of course with the break of 5-6 weeks between sessions).

so, my concern is: are there any kind of side effects of too  many dermarolling sessions.

i also see on the internet in the before and after pictures that people achieve pretty quickly good results.

i have the feeling about myself that my face did not change a lot since i have been rolling a couple times.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 04:58:49 PM »
Hi Ted,

It's true that one can find enthousiastic reports of improvement after a few rolling sessions, but often that's because the mild swelling associated with rolling can give a better appearance. A few sessions over some months definitely is not enough to get results because the remodelling process takes months to finish. That means that only your first rolling session has "matured", and often a dozen sessions are required for significant results.

Especially for acne scars we sell our specially designed single needle, allowing you to treat them intensively and deeply from various angles, crushing the scar tissue. If you haven't tried that yet, you should definitely start. We sell them cheaply in batches of five. Also, you could consider rolling with longer needle length.

Not everyone gets good results with dermarolling acne scars though. There is a percentage of people who just have bad luck (it could be a skin-genetical issue). And some people get quicker results than others.

There are no long-term side effects because the epidermis is not thinned by dermarolling. So you can roll dozens of times over years and nothing will happen - except, usually, the beneficial effects associated with microneedling. It's the same with laser treatment and dermabrasion for acne scars - there also is a percentage of people for which it doesn't work.

It may be hard to stay focused and keep going even though you see no benefits, but remember that improvement in microneedling is exponential. You often only see some improvement after say half a year or even more than that. But then things accelerate. You can compare it with compound interest. Stay the course. It's only once a month at most. Keep doing it and report back a year from now. There is no easy cure for acne scars but dermarolling acne scars does usually give worthwhile results, with patient persistence.

victorc

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 10:24:50 PM »
"Not everyone gets good results with dermarolling acne scars though. There is a percentage of people who just have bad luck (it could be a skin-genetical issue). And some people get quicker results than others."  

I gotta say, I'm afraid I'm one of those slow-poke result people. Been stabbing with the single needle and rolling with a 1.5mm roller at the end of every month (its about 4 to 5 weeks apart per roll) + daily copper peptide (except when 1 week before the roll, where I apply vit C) and still I don't see much improvement in my acne scars. I will keep trying for at least a year before making a fair assessment though.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 02:13:03 PM »
Here is a similar question by one of our customers, and my answer below:

Hi Sarah,

With the gear I've bought from your site, I've been following your regime as best I can, mainly to get rid of

medium depth skin pitting from acne in my twenties  ( in my forties now ).

I have used 1.5mm roller on cheeks & forehead once every 5 weeks. i've just done my third

session. I use the vit. C and brush the skin regularly too.

I can't see any difference whatsoever even though lots of dramatic results seem to happen on

websites and pictures with people with far more severe acne than me in about 3 WEEKS ????

I do use roller quite firmly and I use the single needle on more obvious pitted areas

Can you suggest what I might be doing wrong ???

Regards

[deleted]

Hi [deleted],

From what you described, I don't think you are doing anything wrong, neither are you doing too little. You can try to single-needle more deeply and aggressively (up to quite some pinpoint bleeding).  You can aggressively needle every day or every second day - one scar at a time for example to avoid doing it all in one go and having whole face full of red spots.

Try to prick the scar from different angles and needle the edges as well.

Male skin is usually thicker than female skin. Do you get some pinpoint bleeding when you roll and single needle? If not, go deeper.

We have customers who reported improvement but only after many months of monthly needling! The scar remodeling after needling may take many month to be completed. So this is a long-term project, no miracles can be expected, in spite of what some websites may promise. Most vendors in this field will say anything to sell more rollers. You really need to be in this for the long haul to see results, but results eventually do materialize - in the majority of cases.

You could also try to apply Retin A directly after needling the scar. It will sting. You could even "needle" some Retin A straight into the scar. You must do a test patch on one scar to see how it will react.

Best regards,

Sarah

FINLEY

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 12:38:09 AM »
Does this mean I can single needle the couple of deep scars I have every 1-2 days, in between my 6 wk intervals of derma rolling my entire face with the 2 mm roller???

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 04:11:22 PM »
You should roll your entire face every 5-6 weeks with a roller (long needles) and in between you can needle the scars. But you should needle different scars every day (or whatever interval you choose). The same scar should be rolled and needled only once a month. Sorry if my previous posting was confusing. It concerned acne scars but it is valid for other types of scars as well.

What I meant by the above posting is that you can needle all your scars in one go but since needled skin sometimes remains red for several days you might not appreciate many red spots on your face, especially if you have to go to work or school. In that case, needle a different scar every day or every second day or whatever interval you choose to avoid showing too many red spots.

The same applies to stretch marks for example. You can needle them all in one go or needle one or several stretch marks every day or whatever interval you desire. However, do not needle the same stretch mark more than once a month.

You can roll several times a week with short needles (up to 0.25 mm for women and 0.5 mm for men) for product penetration in between your monthly sessions with long needles or needling.