Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Making Vitamin C , should i use glycerin?  (Read 7063 times)

tone

Making Vitamin C , should i use glycerin?
« on: October 17, 2010, 09:45:08 PM »
hey sarah, i read youre instructions on how to make my own vit c.....however i also looked at other sites and they mention using glycerin as well as L ascorbic acid....

here are the instructions

Place 1/4 tsp. of L ascorbic acid in a small glass container.

Add 1 tsp. distilled water and mix with a glass stirrer. Stir the mixture until you're sure the L ascorbic acid is completely dissolved into the water.

Stir in 1 tsp. glycerin and blend well.

Put the vitamin C serum in a small, dark colored, sealable jar.

Apply the vitamin C serum every night before bed to start with. If your skin tolerates the vitamin C, gradually increase the usage to twice daily.

also do i boil the water?

and do i have to keep the vit c refrigerated?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 05:15:26 AM »
Concerning glycerin, please read my previous posting (3rd question):

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/Questions-about-the-Vitamin-C-crystals-(serum)u/a>

The water should not be boiling, just hot. There is no need to sterilize the water because vit. C is a preservative. The vit. C we sell is powdered so it dissolves easily, with some vigorous stirring, in lukewarm water. It is not true though, that boiling water or heat in general destroys vitamin C. Even French fries still contain about half their original vit. C content. What destroys vit. C is food enzymes at about double room temperature, about the human body temperature and a bit above (I make this analogy to avoid looking up the exact figures and stating them in Celcius and Fahrenheit ;-)

You should keep it in the fridge. If you have a container that is perfectly airtight and dark and you make a new serum every approximately 10 days, you can keep it outside the fridge but it is not recommended, because there may be some bacterial growth in standing water after so many days, even though vit. C is a preservative. And there is some long-term degradation of the vit. C due to oxidation, which is less at lower temps.

Zelda

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 03:39:28 AM »
is it best to apply with a cotton bud?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 04:42:02 AM »
You can apply it how you prefer, even with your bare hands, after having washed your hands.