Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: How to get rid of blackheads  (Read 7483 times)

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
How to get rid of blackheads
« on: December 22, 2010, 05:11:29 PM »
Multiple approaches are necessary.

The best would be to use a 0.5 mm roller. Dermarolling speeds up the skin's turnover and that should help keeping the pores clean even though it cannot completely solve this problem.

One of the best substances to clean pores is salicylic acid because this beta hydroxy acid penetrates the pores and cleans them. Repeated and regular use is necessary.

A-Ret should also help but initially it may make acne or blackheads worse (it pushes them up). You have to be patient and continue.

Exfoliate the skin with baking soda. Wet your face, put baking soda on your face and gently massage with your fingers.

Or try this:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/Oil-cleansing-method-to-get-rid-of-blackheadsp/a>

kakalakingma

How to get rid of blackheads
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 02:02:21 AM »
Here is my testimony for salicylic acid and Tretinoin:

I have tried salicylic products with alcohol from Neutrogena, Clean and Clear, Clearsil, and Oxy. Result - nothing but occasional burning when I wipe with the cotton pad to hard with the alcohol. My oil looks good a little while. but that's it. [Update: plus, I have heard that alcohol can increase oil production by irritating and over drying the skin.]

I have tried salicylic acid products without alcohol from Neutrogena and Paula's Choice. Result - nothing on blackheads. But it is gentle and helps exfoliate my skin. [Update: plus, it smooths out my skin]

I have tried 0.05% and 0.1% Tretinoin for more than a year now. Result - nothing on blackheads. smoother more radiant skin..help a little with scars...sometime I use too often or too much and I develop peeling and itching sensation. [Update: plus, it firms my skin, making my forehead lines less and less visible]

I think my hormones outweights the acids of tretinoin and salicylic acid. I don't know. I only get temporary relieve from Biore Strips. T_T. I think I am the sever case of oily skin. I need accutane. LOl

Also, it is interesting that you suggest baking soda as an exfoliant. According, Paula Begoun, owner of Paula's Choice line of product, she used to recommend to her followers to use baking soda as a cheap exfoliant:

"...

Baking soda (aka sodium bicarbonate) falls under the category of physical exfoliants, and what makes it especially effective is that it is a fine, yet hard powder, making it highly effective at removing the dead skin cells without causing excessive irritation. Chemically speaking, baking soda is acid neutral, and acts a mild buffer which means that it has the ability to neutralize other substances it comes in contact with that are acidic (like vinegar) or basic (like soap). Many people also believe that baking soda has cleaning properties; however, scientific evidence has shown that this is due to baking soda’s physically abrasive nature, and it is not an effective anti-microbial agent.

Exfoliating with baking soda

To reap the benefits of exfoliating with baking soda, add a teaspoon of the powder to your facial cleanser, mix well, and massage into skin like you would with a commercial exfoliant. Do this 2-3 times a week or as per your regular exfoliation routine. If you notice that your skin is red or irritated afterwards, try putting in less baking soda and use the treatment at night so that your skin has a chance to get back to normal while you sleep. Remember to always moisturize afterwards!

Baking soda as an acne treatment

While there are numerous testimonials in which people claim that baking soda cleared up their acne when nothing else helped, please remember to take these statements with a grain of salt. We don’t know what else that person had changed in their skin regimen; it’s possible that besides using baking soda they also started drinking more water, switched their cleanser or moisturizer, or maybe even changed the number of times they cleanse their skin per day. Seasonal changes and stress levels also have a very strong impact on how much and how noticeable your acne may be. However, there is some evidence that baking soda may be beneficial in treating acne since just the exfoliating properties of baking soda alone lead to an increased skin cell turnover rate making your acne look less noticeable. Plus, baking soda’s neutralizing properties maybe reduce redness of the skin also reducing the appearance of acne. If you want to try using baking soda as an acne treatment, my recommendation is to use one teaspoon of it in your cleanser at night to exfoliate your skin, as well as make a thicker paste of just baking soda and water and apply it to the acne as a mask for 5-10 minutes or overnight (beware, when it dries the mixture will crumble so you might up wake up to a messy pillow).

In summary, all signs point to baking soda being an excellent and cheap physical exfoliant. It is ph neutral and a fine powder, which means that it will be gentle on your skin. "
(indirect LINK)

However, funny thing is that she changed her stance in her 7th edition book of Don't Go to The Cosmetics Counter Without Me: "I no longer recommend mixing baking soda with your cleanser because of its alkaline pH and the potential issues that may have for the skin." (indirect LINK)

Wikipedia states pH of baking soda is 8.