Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Can I use a Dermaroller on this area under the eye?  (Read 68296 times)

Chrystal

Can I use a Dermaroller on this area under the eye?
« on: January 04, 2011, 07:51:27 PM »
Hi,

I have 2 or 3 lines directly underneath each of my eyes and I would like to reduce them, if possible.

I was wondering if I could use a dermaroller in that specific area? (photo of one of my eyes below - please excuse the Milia)

Also is it ok to use Retin-A cream in that area? (where the red arrows are pointing to).

I do own and have used dermarollers, but only for stretch marks on the body. I've never used a dermaroller (or Retin-A) on my face.

I appreciate any help, thanks

kakalakingma

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 09:13:34 PM »
Hi Chrystal,

I have pulled up 3 threads that talks about derma rolling around the eye. In sum, you are safest with 0.25-0.5mm needle in length. Make sure you pull the skin down under the eye before you roll to avoid rolling on the bone. I don't know how long or many treatments it will take for those lines to go away. But you can bet on "better result" if you incorporate your derma rolling session(s) with a collagen building skin care regimen that includes, alpha hydroxy acids, retinoid (like Sarah's A-ret), copper peptide (like Sarah's copper mask), vitamin C (you can make your own cheaply), and SUNSCREEN! Your effort will end up in ruins if you forget sunscreen. I am not aware of adverse effects on of application of these topicals around the eyes. What is good for the face has to be good for skin around he eye, just be careful when you apply them to avoid contact with the eye. Plus, you're best bet is on derma roller because of the various length availability AND versatility on contouring while you roll. By the way, kudos for posting up picture. People would like to see the issues, too.

Thread 1 : Different needle lengths used in mixed rolling schedule

Thread 2 : The same roller for collagen boosting on face & neck, and for around eyes and lips?

Thread 3 : Dermarolling around the eyes

I found a youtube video demonstrating microneedling around the eye

The woman looks all red. I wonder if she is in pain. Watch out for pressure!

[video=youtube;BNqDhW2p5RY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNqDhW2p5RY[/video]

Best wishes

PS: best way to get your answer sometimes is doing a search on the forum to see if your questions have been answer already. However, I don't blame you this time if you cannot find any results when you search "eyes" or "derma rolling under eyes"-- I didn't get any. I had to search the whole forum looking at titles for match and clues. Just saying!

[Update: I think because the eye area is tricky, your best bet for milia removal is at the aesthetician place of dermatologist. Either should have special tool that quickly and painless remove them. But first, you can try for a month or so softening and breaking down the keratin with a gentle daily exfoliant of 1-2% salicylic acid. I am not going to recommend scrub, personally. Don't do that.]

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 08:20:45 AM »
No you cannot due to a risk of eyeball injury.

When you put your finger under your eye, you'll feel a bone. Do not roll closer to your eye than where that bone is. When you roll under the eyes, pull/stretch your skin downwards from the eye with your other hand and roll it with the other.

Do not roll/needle inside the red area. (Plastic surgeons can do that safely - not us "home rollers"..)

I am not sure for what reason you want to roll there but the lines you are pointing at with red arrows are not wrinkles. These are natural creases.

Even babies have them:

Attached files    

Chrystal

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 10:10:39 AM »
Thank you kakalakingma and SarahVaughter for your help and advice, I really appreciate it

If I roll my eyes I will be sure to pull the skin down. Also a friend of mine would like to roll her eyes (and face) too - she has more lines all around the eye area, so this advice will come in very handy, thank you.

@SarahVaughter - It's just I've noticed they seem to be getting longer (going further out to outer corner of eye) and I thought I could perhaps reduce them again. Maybe I am worrying over nothing, but just thought I would ask first to see if it was possible.

@kakalakingma - I've had the Milia so long now and do dislike it. I'd like to give the salicylic acid a try, but I don't really know much about all this, sorry. Can I dilute it to lower the %? The lowest % I could find was '5% Salicylic Acid Mild Peel' from an online shop.

kakalakingma

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 10:25:21 AM »
You could always dilute acid to lower the strength. I think there is a formula online on how to dilute acid....something MV = MV. LOL. You want to ask Sarah on this diluting thing. OR, you can just purchase a 1% OR 2% buffered salicylic product. Paula's Choice is a skin care line that sells a wide variety of salicylic acid products that can be tailored to your specific skin type. If you have oil to very oily skin, you should pick the (1% or 2%) gel or 2% liquid. If you have dry skin and prefer something more emollient, she also sells a lotion formula. If you prefer drugstore brand, you might like Neutrogena Acne Stress Control 3-in-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment, with the drawbacks such as fragrance and coloring additives. If you are curious, all the of these products are pH adjusted to permit exfoliation.

If you are allergic to aspirin, then you might want to look into 8%-10% AHA. Affordable range of AHA and pH adjusted products are from Alpha Hydrox.

If none of these products work to heal your milia problem, your last resort is getting it professional removed, either from a licensed esthetician or board certified dermatologist you trust. I wouldn't recommend you buy those chemical peel at-home kit to peel your eyes! Please don't consider that at all.

Best wishes!

Update: I totally forgot to say that is one adorable look baby!!! baby cheeks!!!!]

Chrystal

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 01:20:59 PM »
Brilliant! thank you for your help kakalakingma, much appreciated

I just checked out the Paulas choice website and see they do international and they have a UK website, so I'm able to get the products here. I think I'll start there, thanks again for all your help :D