Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Warning about rolling frequency  (Read 18068 times)

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Warning about rolling frequency
« on: January 24, 2010, 05:59:27 PM »
Derma-rollers.com gives extremely bad advice - they recommend rolling three times a week with a 1.5 mm ("Scientia") roller. This will do more damage than good because it will keep your skin in a state of permanent inflammation. Other sites even advise to roll 5 times a week with a 1.5 mm roller.

Their "endorsements" and "reviews" are hysterically positive and full of obvious untruths (stretchmarks virtually disappearing after one week, etc.) and do not appear genuine at all, but the main thing is that they make our advice look wrong, while they're giving dermarolling a bad name by doing harm to their customers.

They're a SE Asian company and surely won't be held accountable for damages. Judging from the way they set up their site (extremely search engine optimized and very commercial), they have more knowledge of commerce than of micro-needling. Feel free to buy their rollers, but do not use a 1.5 mm roller more than once every three weeks.

Please consider that if we would prioritize our sales volume over our customer's skin health, that we would also recommend multiple rollings a week with a 1.5 mm roller, as the roller will blunt 25 times faster and we would thus sell 25 times more rollers. 5 x a week vs. 1 x per 5 weeks is twenty-five times more profit.

If you roll three times a week with a 1.5 mm roller, your "results" will be due to a state of permanent swelling. When rolling with needles longer than 0.5 mm, rolling more frequently is certainly not better than rolling less frequently, on the contrary!

> Finally, Dr Philip Miller says you can dermaroller several times

> per week (5 or so) -- i saw your site recommended every 3-4 weeks (for the

> 1.5mm) --- why the discrepancy? I have many problems to solve and would

> like to dermaroll as much as is most quickly effective....

Collagen production is a very slow and long process. There are several complex, intermediary stages in collagen production. Collagen formation goes though long intermediate phases from Collagen III and finally Collagen I. When you roll your skin with any needles that reach the dermis, collagen production can certainly not be completed in three days. It hardly even has started after three days. Its actually not even completed in five weeks but at least the first stages are completed. You should not roll before the skin is completely healed from the previous rolling. If you roll every three days with long needles (such as 1.5 mm), your skin will be in a state of permanent inflammation and swelling. It will look great because your wrinkles will be less visible due to that swelling but don't confuse this effect with permanent results!

Its a deceiving, short-term "trick" and being in a permanent state of inflammation will damage your skin in the long term.

Permanent inflammation is not a good idea at all. There is no reason to disturb the formation of new collagen that is not even remotely completed by pricking the skin again and again before the damage of the previous rolling is healed and collagen production completed.  You can roll several times a week with short needles (0.2 or 0.5).

More info on what the inflammation stage is all about and how long it lasts

jb

Re: Warning about rolling frequency
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 02:05:36 PM »
Question about rolling frequency...

Say I have a routine where I use a 2mm dermaroller once ever 5 weeks on an area to treat Stretch Marks.
I have read you instructions and you mention you can use a Single needle or a One-liner roller to treat these marks individually.
So does this mean I should treat these marks Once individually using say a One-liner during this 5 week period? Or can it be done more?
In this situation it would amount to 1 - 2mm dermaroller treatment and 1 - One-liner treatment for ind. stretch marks, all in a 5 week period.

I am just confused because you say it can be harmful to dermaroller too often, but yet you can individually prick these marks after you have rolled the area...

Thanks.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Re: Warning about rolling frequency
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 04:37:24 AM »
You treat the same stretch mark only once (or max. twice) during those five weeks. You can treat every day or whenever you have time but each time you treat a different stretch mark:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/Stretch-Marks-individual-needling