Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Really red face after rolling with .25mm roller  (Read 7407 times)

zoe

Really red face after rolling with .25mm roller
« on: January 28, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
Hi Sarah,

I started dermarolling a couple of months ago. I started with a 1mm roller and then switched to a 1.5mm roller(I used this size only 1 time so far).Today I decided to try the .25mm to use in between deeper rolling. My face turned as red as it does when I roll with longer needles. I was expecting some redness but not this bad. Is this normal?

Thank you.

kakalakingma

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 01:50:40 PM »
I think your skin is just sensitive to pricking of needles in general that it does not matter which length it is. Just speculation of course. Like how some people bruise super easily than others and it obviously shows on ther skin. I think it is difficult to determine "some redness" and how bad of redness objectively especially without pictures. Has your skin healed back to normal?

I have searched up some Threads on this forum that may answer (partially) your question in some way.

Thread 2: Avoid redness with shallow derma rolling

zoe

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 02:38:04 PM »
Thank you for your reply. I do have sensitive skin. It's been a couple of hours since I rolled with the.25mm and the skin on my face is almost back to it's normal tone. I'm glad I did a test run on a day off. I was going to do it before work the other day but decided to wait. Good thing. I assumed from my reading that rolling with a .25mm would not cause much inflamation and the redness would only last a short amount of time(around 15- 20 minutes). Maybe this is true for others who do not have sensitive skin? Do you think rolling can do more harm than good for those of us with sensitive skin?

kakalakingma

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 02:45:01 PM »
Zeo,

I am no doctor. Sorry. But I will say this will a little confience: if you skin heals back to normal and nothing adverse (like lost of tissue or your skin stays inflammed long term), then I don't see any reason to stop using the roller. I mean, you have been using longer length for months now and you have not mention any bad thing about that, right? How is your scar management going? Do you see result? If you do, I take that as the benefits out weights the negatives (redness). If you feel very uncomfortable after rolling and all that redness is bothering you, I think you can take a ibuprofen or aspirin. I am certain those OTC drug can calm the redness down. Now, you can say, what about OTC 1% hydrocortisone. Well, I don't think it is a good idea at all to put it on needled wounds because it probably break down your collagen faster than on intact skin while it may give you relief on redness and itchiness. Though, I am not sure if they would interfere with that acute inflammatory reponse that is necessary for skin remodelling Sarah mention somewhere (or am I wrong. lol. I don't remember). You may want to wait for Sarah on this one. But I don't think it hurt to take an ibuprofen to calm the redness. Just saying.

zoe

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 03:39:44 PM »
Thanks. I can deal with the redness without taking aspirin or ibuprofen. I usally avoid that stuff unless I have an extreme headache.

kakalakingma

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 03:45:23 PM »
Sure, whatever works for you, continue to do that then. I only suggested them because, if the redness is very bothersome. But it seems like it heals up well with you, so GREAT!

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 06:46:45 AM »
Yes, many customers report redness even with the shortest needles but they say the redness subsides extremely quickly.

It is all quite individual. We have customers who get pinpoint bleeding when rolling their face with a 0.5 mm dermaroller and we have those who complain that they get no pinpoint bleeding when rolling their face with a 2 mm dermaroller.

If you get very red after rolling with 0.25 mm long needles, you should maybe not roll every other day but a bit less.