Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Pimple breakout after rolling  (Read 7288 times)

Neytiri

Pimple breakout after rolling
« on: February 24, 2011, 05:47:07 AM »
Hi!

I am a newbie roller with only a couple of rolling sessions with my 0.25 behind me.

Something happened after my last roll two nights ago, this morning I woke up and my forehead is full of ugly red pimples! I feel like a teenager again! :D

I wonder if I am doing something wrong, since I am really new to this. Like I said, I am using a 0.25 roller. I think I have rolled 4 or 5 times now, and this has never happened before. Its a bit strange that the pimples have appeared on my forehead only, because I rolled the entire face. I do see some odd pimples on my cheek and above my upper lip, but that is nothing compared to my forehead.

This is my rolling routine, which I do in the evening before I go to bed, every other day or every third day:

Before rolling I wash my face with a face cleanser and warm water and let it air dry. After that I roll the entire face except eyelids and under the eye. My face gets a bit red and looks like it had a bit too much sun. Immediately after rolling I soak the roller for ten minutes in a cup filled with warm water and a bit of dishwashing liquid. After that I put it back to its case to wait for the next roll. I also apply a bit of vitamin A cream to the areas on my face where the lines are (Afirm 0.15% retinol), and a bit of night cream which is quite thick (Eucerin hyaluron filler night cream).

Usually when I wake up the following morning the redness has mostly subsided. Except for the last time. I saw some pimples starting to form yesterday evening, but was hoping it would get better today...nope!

I am not disinfecting the roller, should I start doing that? Could this be some sort of reaction to the dishwashing liquid I am using to clean the roller?

What can I do to the pimples to make them go away? Right now I am wearing a scarf on my forehead and plan to stay indoors until I look a bit better.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 06:47:23 AM »
We have heard of a similar occurrence before on this forum. It is not totally uncommon to get those bumps and unfortunately I can't say for sure what the cause could be.

I think it may be a good idea to start using a sterilizing solution every time you use the roller. We say in our instructions that a 0.25 mm roller only needs to be sterilized every few rolling sessions, but perhaps that is a bit too liberal and I'll consider changing it.

We based that recommendation on what the known experts in the field advised - short-needled rollers need to be sterilized every few rolling sessions - but I think we should better err on the side of caution.

I am of course assuming that you thoroughly rinse your roller after you take it from the dishwashing liquid solution - otherwise it's highly likely an allergic reaction to the chemicals in it.

Given the fact that you did not get the pimples on your first roll and did not change your skin product routine (vit. A could also be a cause), the most likely causes are an allergy to detergent remnants or bacterial contamination.

One of my sources say that some female skin in some cases can release histamines causing red manifestations (streaks, bumps etc.) when injured and it last days in some cases. In that case, you should roll less until the problem has subsided.

The skin should gradually get used to rolling. Roll less frequently when you start with dermarolling and you can gradually increase it up to every other day rolling (with a 0.25 mm). Initially, in some individuals, skin reactions to dermarolling are relatively common.

If you want t speed up the disappearance of the red pimples, you could try TOPICAL Benadryl (cream). It is OTC. For example this one: "Regular Strength Benadryl Itch Stopping Cream (1%)" or "Benadryl Itch Stopping Cream, Extra Strength (2%)"

It contains Diphenhydramine which is an antihistamine used to relieve allergy symptoms.

Do not apply it all over your forehead, try a test patch first.

Neytiri

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 09:44:29 AM »
Hi Sarah,

Thank you for your answer!  I have to confess that I didn't rinse the roller after last use. So I agree that the pimples are indeed a reaction to the remains of the dishwashing liquid. I always roll my forehead first, so it makes sense too.

I will also buy a disinfectant and give Benadryl a try, if I can find it here where I live. If not, maybe the pharmacy has something similar with different brand name. I guess the pimples will go away soon. Until then, I will wear a bandana :D