Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Reduce Redness and single needle usage  (Read 6937 times)

healingtoday

Reduce Redness and single needle usage
« on: March 21, 2011, 06:58:09 PM »
Hi Sarah,

Firstly, I want to thank you for making the single needles available.  I've been seeing good results on my scars which I have been treating (pitted scars from trauma injury - resembles deep acne scars).  I have two questions, I'm hoping that you can help answer.

1) The scars I needled 4 days ago are very red from them being worked on, causing them to stand out more even though they are now closer to the surface.  Is there anything that will reduce the redness besides makeup?  Because of the pitted scars, makeup is too obvious.  Currently, I've been using active manuka honey to try to reduce the redness but if there are any other tricks, that would be great if you could let me know.

2) Can I use the single needle for a subcision technique?  I can tell that a few of my injury scars are being tethered down from the trauma so I was wondering if I could needle at an angle and then move the needle back and forth to try to cut the bands holding the scar down?  Or, would this be a bad idea?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 06:14:15 PM »
I am very glad you are seeing results.

Actually I do not think that it is a good idea to try to reduce the redness.

Redness means the scar is still being "worked on" by your body and the regeneration processes will make the scar look better. You could reduce the redness with anti-inflammatory products but as I said I do not recommend it.

You can camouflage the redness with makeup.

I always recommend our customers to neede just a couple of scars in one go so that their face won't be covered in red spots.  You can needle one scar every day or every few days a couple of scars.

Yes, you can attempt a mild subcision. Subcision is normally done with a much thicker needle but it causes quite an injury. Doing several subcisions with a thinner needle is less traumatic for the skin. I am not sure whether our needle is long enough to do a subcision. You will see when you try. When you go horizontally under the scar with the needle, go between 0.5 and 1 mm under the scar and move the needle forward and backward to cut the fibrotic bands. You should not go too shallow and not too deep when needling horizontally.

You should definitely combine it with the suction method. Please read this study:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/Subcision-suction-method-for-acne-scars

healingtoday

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 10:48:43 PM »
Thank you for your response Sarah!  Yeah, I think next time, I'll just needle a couple of spots because having the redness in the different areas made me pretty self conscious when I was at work.  

Thank you for answering the question about subcision.  I've been trying the suction method with these cupping tools I bought online.  They sell these cupping tools online that have a suction cup and a plastic cup at the end used for the face.  Some people use them for wrinkles too.  Its too early for me to tell if it helps the scars but can definitely see the suction working where it sucks the skin into the cupping tool.  I will try the suction after the subcision next time around and report out on the results.