Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Sun protection with dermarolling  (Read 8800 times)

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Sun protection with dermarolling
« on: March 24, 2011, 01:05:18 PM »
>Secondly, after my pregnancies I have a big problem with hyper

>pigmentation  in my face, last summer some areas were brown, others

>white and I always had  to use a big layer of makeup. I used sun tan but

>it didn't seem to help much. Your creams also seem to have helped in

>this area and my skin is almost back to normal after the winter but I fear

>the summer. Of course I can get sun protection cream but I just wanted

>to ask you if you sell any more cream for this area as I would probably

>buy anything from you.

I'm flattered! Unfortunately I do not have any better advice than using a good sun protection cream and a hat. If you want to make your own sun protection cream, buy a baby diaper rash cream containing zinc oxide, mix some of it with a hydrating cream or a skin cream that you normally use and add some makeup to make the cream a bit less white (zinc oxide is extremely white, it's used as a white pigment). It should not be too thick or you will look like you're wearing a mask but make it thick enough to be effective.

There are two kinds of substances used in sunscreen creams. Physical sunblocks or/and chemical sunblocks.

Zinc oxide and titanium dioxide are physical sunblocks (they form a barrier and deflect the rays), they block the entire UV spectrum. Nowadays, zinc oxide or titanium dioxide is added to most sun creams. Unfortunately it has its problems too. It dries up the skin and its whitish color makes one look like a zombie.

There is a micronized form (it is not white but transparent) of zinc oxide sun cream for sale. There were some concerns regarding the fact that the particles of zinc oxide in it are so small that they penetrate the skin and some could get into the bloodstream with unknown long-term side effects. As far as I know, so far there were no negative effects confirmed and it was approved for sale.  

Physical sunblocks do not deteriorate with sun exposure. As long as they remain on the skin, they deflect the sun's rays.

Chemical sunblocks in sun creams have one big disadvantage. If you are exposed to the sun, after an hour or two (depending on how strong the sun is) the chemical filters are "used up" and the cream has to be reapplied.There are studies showing that using a chemical sun block and not re-applying it regularly caused more free radicals formation in the skin than in the skin where no sun protection was used at all. That is why it is wise to use a sun cream containing physical sunblocks (in addition to chemical filters).

If you suffer from inflammatory hyperpigmentation (Melasma,Rosacea etc),  use one that has only physical filters and no chemical filters since chemical filters

sometimes tend to worsen pigmentation, especially Melasma. Pharmacies often sell sunscreens with physical filters for people who are

allergic to chemical filters.

IMPORTANT:

Do not completely shelter yourself from the sun. Sunshine is our most efficient source of vit. D, which forms in the skin upon sun exposure.

Vit. D is very important for many reasons including proper functioning of our immune system - crucial to remain healthy.

Do not excessively sunbathe but every now and then, expose yourself for about 15 minutes to the sun with lots of naked skin to get enough vit. D.

If you have dark skin, you need to stay about three times longer in the sun as dark skin functions as natural sun protection.

Consider vit. D supplementation during winter months.

For those interested in  detailed studies on vit. D:

Vitamin D supplementation, 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations, and safety

https://http://www.ajcn.org/content/69/5/842.full

Vitamin D: Important for Prevention of

Osteoporosis, Cardiovascular Heart Disease,

Type 1 Diabetes, Autoimmune Diseases, and

Some Cancers

https://http://www.ysonut.fr/pdf/Ysodoc/D030301.pdf