Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Spray Tanning before and after dermarolling  (Read 15903 times)

hgrffin57

Spray Tanning before and after dermarolling
« on: April 07, 2011, 08:59:43 PM »
First of all I want to thank you for including such an extensive resource of knowledge for me to learn about dermarolling. After pouring over the information on this site and reading the dermarolling instructions I recently purchased several items and can't wait to get started treating the stretch marks on my hips and breasts with the 1.5 roller using the regime that was reccommended in the instructions I found on this site.

My question pertains to spray tanning. Currently I spray tan 2x a week using OCEAN tanning solution.  and am wondering if this is going to have an ill effect on the areas of my skin that I am derma rolling. How long should I wait to spray tan after dermarolling? Should I cease spray tanning so many days prior to dermarolling?

Thank-you in advance  for your time.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 05:11:24 PM »
OCEAN tanning solutionand other self-tanning products contain Dihydroxyacetone.

It makes the dead skin cells on the skin surface turn brown. It does not penetrate below the stratum corneum, which is the outermost layer of the skin. The cells in the stratum corneum are constantly being naturally sloughed off/exfoliated and replaced by new ones.  That is why a self-tan fades gradually within twenty days. Anything that speeds up the turnover of of the skin ( such as exfoliation, dermarolling, peeling etc)  will also speed up fading of a self-tan.

You shouldn't spray three days before and three days after dermarolling (five days if you are single needling). Otherwise you might end up with an uneven teint.

A 1.5 mm dermaroller is used only once every 3-4 weeks on the same skin area, so hopefully you can somehow combine it with a small self tanning gap.

Spring~Roll

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 01:18:42 PM »
I wonder~ would rolling with the smallest needle size before application of a sunless tanner make the color stay longer?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 04:02:15 PM »
I do not think it is a good idea to apply sunless-tanning creams after dermarolling, not even with the shortest needles. It would get into the deeper layers of the skin and you might end up with uneven coloration that could be difficult to get rid off.

Dihydroxyacetone is a colorless sugar that reacts with certain amino acids in the stratum corneum and tinted skin is a result of this reaction. Sunless tanning creams teint the outermost skin layer which is constantly being renewed.

Since various amino acids react differently to Dihydroxyacetone, I am not sure what kind of teint you would get in deeper skin layers. It could turn out yellow or orange.

A dermaroller makes tiny channels in the skin with intact skin in between. I do not think the Dihydroxyacetone would be distributed totally evenly into deeper skin layers.

Basically you are risking uneven, unpredictable tone coloration that could last too long for comfort..