Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Dermarolling the lips and granulated Restylane scar healing  (Read 5898 times)

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Dermarolling the lips and granulated Restylane scar healing
« on: February 01, 2010, 06:39:19 PM »
> I had an injection which contained restylane and this supposed to even

> out my lip on a temporary basis.

> I had this procedure done twice and the product has all gone.

> Unfortunately, it has left a small scar tissue at the same spot on my

> upper lip which is raised and little bumpy.

It is very difficult to determine what caused the bumpiness.  Whether it is the result of a badly healed injection or whether some "granulation" formed under you skin as a reaction to the Restylane. I have heard that some people who had Sculptra injected, ended up with bumpy granules that formed under the skin which had to be surgically removed.

Patient question on a forum:

"I would appreciate some feedback about the reports of "granules" forming in patients treated with Sculptra. On this site, there have been posts of people developing granules years after having been treated. Why do these granules form and how likely do they occur?"

Answer by Tanveer Janjua, MD - Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon:

This facial plastic surgeon is a member of the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS):

"It is a known complication of Sculptra. It was more common in the past when the material was not diluted enough and patients did not do any massage. Sculptra stimulates growth of your own collagen. If too much is deposited in one area, you have a lot of collagen concentrated in one area, which can feel like a lump, granuloma, nodule or granule."

Please do not get me wrong. I am not sure whether this can happen with Restylan as well. Restylan and Sculptra are not the same. I just wanted to explain that I can't be sure what caused your bumpiness.

If indeed granules were formed in the skin, then the needling cannot fix that. If the bumpiness is just scarred skin - the results of bad healing - then needling could help.

> I was wondering if using a dermaroller or single needle will gradually

> help to even out that part of the lip??

The single needle would be a better choice in this case because you can target the scar and leave out the surrounding tissue.

Start very carefully with just a few pricks in the scar and you will see how it heals. In your case, since maybe your Restylane injection healed badly, I would be very careful because if you are a "bad healer", you might make the scar look worse if you overdo it and heal badly.

You have to experiment and start with just a couple of pricks. If the healing goes OK, then next time do more pricks.

Prick the scar at most once a month.

Read our instructions :

https://http://dermaroller.owndoc.com/dermaroller-instructions.pdf

>is there an alternative to vit-c ascorbic acid to help promote collogen?

Vit. C is absolutely essential for collagen production.  You cannot achieve high levels of vit. C in the skin with oral intake alone. You have to apply it externally to your skin as explained in our instructions.  To apply it externally, it has to have a low pH.

L-Ascorbic acid is the only form of vitamin C that is absorbed and used effectively by the skin. "Acid-free" vit. C is useless for skin absorbtion purposes - you have to use pure, acid vit. C crystals mixed with nothing else and the optimal concentration is 10% by weight. Use the vit. C serum according to our dermarolling instructions.