Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Red stretch Marks on arms  (Read 9401 times)

master1

Red stretch Marks on arms
« on: June 13, 2011, 03:28:09 PM »
Hi Sarah,

I am so happy that I found your forum while I was about to but the White Lotus Dermaroller. They completely convinced me of their products and also because they have so many videos in youtube (I am a very visual person and I liked that they were showing themmselves to explain their process of healing). But I recently asked them about how to dermaroll and how often because my stretch marks came from bodybuilding (not really bodybuilding just staying in shape at the gym) and they are killing me. I am 19 year old white male 6 ft 180 pounds.

First of all, I went to a Dermatologist who suggested Tretinoin ( I don't remember the formula) and it completely failed. I applied it religiously for 1.5 months and my stretch marks were getting longer and new ones were appearing. My second visit to the doctor was another dissapointment because he told me to use a stronger formula of retin-a and I got the same results (no good results at all) My stretch marks get red when I get out of the shower, but I noticed them purple now. They are approximattely 4-5 months old and I read that the newer they are the more chances I have to get rid of them, but nothing seems to work. I bough cocoa butter(complete dissapointment) olive oil and lemon juice etc. nothing worked. One month ago I bought a dermaroller 1.00mm because I read that upper arms did not need needles longer than 1.00mm. I also did it 5 times a week with 2 days of rest, but today I read your blog and I think that is why I am no getting the results I wanted.

I am really worried about my stretchmarks getting longer and longer. THey almost cover my inner upper arms and I was wondering if I should roll my arms completely in order to prevent new ones to come. I was using Trilastin along the dermaroller because I read that the absorption of the product was 1000 times more after micro needling. I know you have this information on your website but I want to know if I can send you mi pictures and get your thoughts about them. I have from 1 month till now and I can see some more new stretch marks coming out. I don't know what to do, I also read that people younger than 25 have a quicker healing process. I have read so many blogs and posible creams and cures and nothing seems to work.

I would really appreciate your opinion.

Should I stop the gym? What should I do?

Thanks for your time.

Master 1

P.S. White Lotus told me to stop every other cream I was using and use nothing instead or they "natural serum" green tea and I don't know what else does it have. But they seem pretty convincing in their youtube videos giving some face to their statements.

master1

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 03:31:25 PM »
Oh I forgot.

Can I self tan while rolling? How long should I wait,  should I change my 1.00 roller for a 1.5mm? Thanks!

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 01:30:19 PM »
We don't have video equipment so we won't jump on the YouTube self-promotion bandwagon. I put my knowledge on my website and I try to be honest. First of all, if a seller claims that your stretchmarks will disappear, it is a lie. Currently there is no method that can make stretchmarks disappear. Stretch marks are very deep scars. Only in very rare cases, stretch marks are so shallow that it is possible to remove them completely. You can greatly improve their appearance though.

White Lotus is not a credible company. We exposed their use of fake before-and-after photo's here:

https://http://www.owndoc.com/dermarolling/white-lotus-breast-enhancement-scam/

Their bad advice not to use any vitamins as supporting treatment but their green tea is understandable - it is impossible for any European company to import Retinoic acid creams, for example. So they simply are not able to sell them, and we are because we use a third party. They don't want to lose customers to us, so they claim that vitamins are "bad for the skin". They also tell you to roll three times a week with a 1.5 mm roller, so that you'll maybe even ruin your skin and the roller will be blunt in at most two months and you'll need to buy a new one. And their prices are very high as well.

White Lotus' business model is based on serving the "magical thinkers" niche. The "flower-power hippies". They have zero scientific backup for their "acupuncture breast augmentation" and other wild claims and instead of using vitamins that occur naturally in the body, they want you to believe that vitamins are bad but "ancient oriental wisdom" (powdered tiger bones, anyone?) and herbal teas are good. Quackery. Stay far away from sites that fake their pictures.

There are medical studies showing that A-Ret helped fresh stretch marks and to a much lesser extent old stretch marks. I recommend applying A-Ret to the stretch marks immediately after dermarolling in case of stubborn stretch marks. It will sting and make them red for days.

I certainly do not think that A-Ret causes more stretch marks. They keep popping in your case because the tissue volume is increasing, probably in combination with hormonal causes. Nobody knows why some bodybuilders get stretch marks and some do not, why most pregnant women get them but some do not. I am working on an article about the cause of stretch marks and related issues.

You should not stop exercising but instead limit it a bit. Exercise less or less intensely, so that the muscle volume doesn't grow so quickly. After all, nicely toned muscles even with stretch marks look much better than weak, flabby muscles without stretch marks, in my opinion. Especially on a man.

The slower the muscles grow the lesser chance of developing stretch marks. I know you probably did not overdo the workouts, you were just unlucky.

BTW if you used steroids to boost your muscle growth (I do not think you did but I want to mention it for others) stop taking it, many anabolic steroids can cause stretch marks!

Stretch marks originate in the dermis and it may take a while to show on the skin surface. Your dermis got "rips" and they are now slowly popping up on the surface.

Dermarolling the entire area to prevent new rips is worth trying however so far we have no studies proving that dermarolling or anything else can prevent stretch marks. You have to try.

Fresh stretch marks are red because there is still blood in them. They will eventually fade.

You could combine your 1 mm roller with a 1.5 mm ONE LINER that is for the intensive treatment of stretch marks:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/New-ONE-LINE-dermaroller-specifically-for-stretch-marks-scars-and-wrinkles

It can take one year before you see significant improvement. Patience is necessary here.  

Yes, young people have quicker healing.

You can do self-tanning while dermarolling, no problem, nevertheless, dermarolling speeds up the turnover of skin and that will make your tan fade faster.

master1

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 12:32:34 PM »
Hi Sarah,

Thank you again for your response. I truly understand your point regarding white lotus and their market strategy targeting herbal believers. However, I am still doubtful about how often to roll with my 1.00mm roller if you specifically recommend to do it every two weeks, and the link you post in your response says that we should roll every 5 months with a regular dermaroller.

Should I use vit-c instead of retin-A? What would you recommend for those new stretch marks on arms between vit-c and retin-a?

I will keep taking vitamin E pills to help my skin restoring collagen. What else would you recommend?

Thank you for your time!

Best

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 05:23:56 AM »
If I have written anywhere that a regular dermaroller should be used every 5 months then this is a typo. Can you show me where?

A 1.0 mm dermaroller can be used every 2-3 weeks on the same skin area.

A 1.5 mm dermaroller can be used every 3-4 weeks on the same skin area.

The thicker the skin, the more frequently you can roll.

One of my links was about using a one-liner dermaroller, which is for the very intensive and targeted treatment of stretch marks, scars or wrinkles in combination with a regular dermaroller. In this case you roll the whole area with a regular dermaroller and then every day or whenever you have time, you roll the scars or wrinkles only with the one liner. When you have completed all of them and (that can take many weeks if you are covered with stretch marks or you are too busy), you give your skin a week off and start the whole process again.

Vit. C and vit. A are not interchangeable. They have different functions. If you want to use only one of them for stretch marks then use the A-Ret and make sure you eat enough food containing vit. C.

You could have vascular laser done. It doesn't make stretch marks better at all though. It only coagulates the diluted blood vessels that are still present in red stretch marks (that is why they are red).  It will diminish the redness but the stretch mark will be still there.

On the other hand, I am not completely sure whether coagulating the blood vessels is such a good idea.  Red stretch mark means the scar tissue is still active - the process of scar maturation is not yet completed and the stretch marks might shrink and heal a little. Also the A-Ret worked better on red stretch marks in clinical studies.