Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: puffy eyes  (Read 9993 times)

jbsmith6019@juno.com

puffy eyes
« on: January 07, 2011, 10:14:16 AM »
Can you please tell me what to use for puffy eyes?  I saw a good example of eye improvement on here.

I ordered the retinol gel, the A&D ointment and the vitamin  C.  I also have the 1.5 roller.  Thank you

kakalakingma

puffy eyes
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 11:02:02 AM »
Hi jbsmith,

First of all, I don't think you should derma roll around your eyes because of safety issues! There are other ways to treat bagginess under the eyes.

According to Mayo Clinic, the known “causes” of under eye puffiness are:

As you age, the tissue structures and muscles supporting your eyelids weaken. The skin may start to sag, and fat that is normally confined to the area around the eye (orbit) can migrate forward below your eyes. Also, the space below your eyes can accumulate fluid, making the under-eye area appear puffy or swollen. Several factors can lead to this, including:

•   Fluid retention due to changes in weather (for example, hot, humid days), hormone levels or eating salty foods

•   Sleeping flat on your back

•   Not getting enough sleep

•   Allergies or dermatitis, especially if puffiness is accompanied by redness and itching

•   Heredity
” (LINK)

Paula Begoun, the Cosmetics Cop, provided a succinct written solution on her website:

Solution: There are no cosmetics or miracle eye moisturizers that can alter puffy eyes, but a lot of things can cause the skin around the eyes to swell. Lack of sleep is not as big a factor for puffy eyes as it is for bloodshot eyes. If anything, sitting up instead of lying down prevents fluids from collecting in the tissues around the eye. Sleeping with your head slightly elevated and making sure that your neck has the support it needs can help prevent fluid retention. Alcohol consumption and a diet high in salt can cause water retention and increase puffiness around the eyes. Contact lenses can cause irritation and swelling, so be sure that you are wearing the most comfortable type for your vision correction. Many of the same things that cause bloodshot eyes can also make the area around your eyes puffy.

Be sure to take your makeup off meticulously at night, do not rub your eyes, and take an antihistamine if you have allergies. If you are sensitive to skin-care or makeup products, avoid them. Preventing dryness around the eyes can also be very helpful in reducing swelling. If dryness is your problem, a lightweight, fragrance-free moisturizer will help. Be certain the moisturizer does not contain any irritating ingredients that could make matters worse. If you have time in the morning, place cool compresses on the eyes.

If none of these things help alleviate the problem, the natural appearance of your eyes may just be puffy. Most typically this is caused from overly large fat pads around the eye (everyone has fat pads around the eye) creating a puffy-looking bulge. If that is the case, the only way to get rid of the problem is with cosmetic surgery, which in most cases is incredibly effective.
“ (LINK)

I know Ms. Begoun says there is no cosmetic that is able to reduce puffiness, but there is a patent out there that suggest a certain formulation that may help with the under eye puffiness. Make sure you understand that a patent does not prove its efficacy. I am just providing this information if you want to try it out. I am going to paste highlight snippets of the Patent, but I have also provided the LINK to the official patent if you are interested.

Increased accumulation of “GAG’s” (hyaluronic acid & chondroitin sulfate B) can also lead to secondary osmotic changes resulting increased extra cellular accumulation of protein, sodium and water. In such situations, affect skin appears edematous with pronounced presentation of lymphatics and vessels and microscopically, collagen fibers appear frayed and swollen….

U.S. Pat. No. 5,223,491 describes the use of an insoluble glucan from yeast cell wall for “revitalizing” skin and Japanese Patent Publican No. 7-10734 (1995) describes the use of a yeast culture isolated from grain and grown in milk fro reducing melanocytes-mediated hyperpigmentation…

The present invention is a topical formulation for treating under-eye bagginess and associated discoloration which  comprises about 0.5 to about 10.0% live yeast cell derivative, about 0.5 –about 10.0% magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, about 0.1 to about  5% tocopherol acetate, about 0.01 to about 1.0% retinol palmitate, and a vehicle which maintains the active ingredient levels

Best wishes.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
puffy eyes
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 12:43:08 PM »
Is your puffiness always present or does it go on and off?

If it goes on and off it is most likely edema - fluid retention. Try cold compresses.

Is your puffiness worst after sleeping? Use a thicker pillow if you can handle it.

Are you allergic to something?

If it is always present, it is most likely herniated fat. In this case you need a lower eyelid blepharoplasty. Choose your surgeon wisely. If he takes off too much fat, you will end up with "hollowness" under eyes. Some surgeons prefer not to remove the herniated fat but instead they inject your own fat or other filler around the herniated fat. This flattens the whole area.

None of the products - Retinol gel, the A & D ointment and the vitamin C, a 1.5 mm dermaroller - can help with puffiness. You cannot roll in that area but even if you could, it would not help with water retention or bulging fat, sorry to say.

jimhusten

puffy eyes
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 05:05:58 AM »
You can use strawberry jam and use cold, refrigerated tea bags and you can try Vaseline cream which can help you to reduce swelling near you eyes.

https://http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/computer-problems/how-to-get-rid-of-a-tan/

https://http://www.tandurust.com/skin-care/getting-rid-of-tanned-skin.html