Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Lanolin allergy myth  (Read 7392 times)

lenamom

Lanolin allergy myth
« on: February 05, 2010, 04:04:14 PM »
Hi Sarah,

I ordered my dermarollers today and am so excited and can't wait to start rolling!

I want to ask your advice on 2 issues:

1. How soon after using the 0.2 or 0.5mm needles can I apply Retin A?

2. I have acne prone skin and lanolin causes me to break out in big welts. My skin can take some oils, eg. borage or rosehip and also plain vaseline buy anything with lanolin causes problems. Can you recommend any other cream to apply to my skin after dermarolling? Particularly, with the  benefits of Vit. A&D.

Thanks in advance!

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Lanolin allergy myth
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 05:31:54 PM »
Hi lenamom,

Allergy to Lanolin is extremely rare and almost exclusively concerns people suffering from Dermatitis, meaning that it is a side effect of a skin inflammation and not an allergy in itself:

Clark EW. Estimation of the general incidence of specific Lanolin allergy. Journal of Soc. Cosmetic Chemistry 1975;26:323-35.

Clark determined the annual incidence of lanolin allergy in the general population to be 1.46 to 8.75 cases per million, meaning that at most one person in a hundred thousand people has a Lanolin allergy.

His study can be read here:

https://http://www.owndoc.com/pdf/lanolin-allergy.pdf

There is another study by A.M. Kligman that concludes that Lanolin allergy doesn't exist at all: link.

You should find a cream (not an ointment, in your case) containing vit. A & D that has no anti-inflammatory properties, does not dry out the skin (= no Zinc etc.) and which comes in a tube to avoid risk of bacterial contamination. Sorry I can't be more specific - if I knew an alternative I would mention it, perhaps someone else reading this can comment.

I recommend to wait a couple of hours when rolling with short needles before you apply Retin A and to wait a couple of days after rolling with long needles.

Note that Retin-A (Retinoic Acid) is not the best choice to supply vitamin A to "open" skin, because it's too acidic. Our ointment contains the much milder Retinol Acetate, which is slowly converted to Retinoic Acid in the skin is just as effective in supplying vit. A to the skin.

I hope you'll manage to find a good cream and get nice results!