Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Can vitamin c oxidise in your face and cause damage?  (Read 9177 times)

annie71

• Forum member
Can vitamin c oxidise in your face and cause damage?
« on: July 15, 2011, 12:02:11 PM »
I've been making the homemade vitamin c serum and apply it at night. I notice when I wash my face the following morning the muslin cloth I use becomes stained orange. I presume this is fr the vitamin c oxidising on my face. As vitamin c oxidises when in contact with air and whe I apply vit c to my face it is exposed to air, can the vitamin c actually in its oxidised form on my face cause damage rather than the hoped for benefits to the skin?  

Many thanks

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 06:42:36 AM »
You should apply vit. C in the evening. Vit. C is light sensitive. Wash it off in the morning.

Vit. C doesn't oxidize that quickly. Do a test.  Leave vit. C serum in a transparent, open bottle at room temperature or outside and when it turns yellow, it is very much oxidized.

If you want to mix it with something, then Glycerin would be a better choice than oil in case of water-soluble vit. C.

annie71

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 11:46:36 AM »
THank you for your reply.  I do apply the vit c serum at night.  I've been applying the water and vit c in the evening again after reading your website.  My washcloth stained orange after using a vit c serum of glycerin, water and ascorbic acid.  I then used the androhyrdous method for a bit and then this last week just did the vit c and water combo.  Is it important to wash the face the following morning and make sure it's all washed off? Thanks in advance.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 11:04:22 AM »
No it is not necessary but it will remove the residues.

Just rinse the face with water in the morning or clean your face like you normally do in the morning with the cleansing product of your choice.