Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Best time to apply Retin-A for hyperpigmentation  (Read 22423 times)

spatwat

Best time to apply Retin-A for hyperpigmentation
« on: September 07, 2011, 12:24:34 AM »
Hi Sarah,

I've been microneedling for about 2 months. I have 1.5mm and 0.5mm needle, infadolan, retin-a, vit. c and copper peptides. I'm still wondering when is the best time to apply retin-a for my hyperpigmentation. I have a lot of acne scars and some hyperpigmentation. My scars are improving! Thanks to you. However, my hyperpigmaentation on my face still persist. I have read the best skin care routine where after 1.5mm microneedling infadolan should be applied and after 0.5mm needling copper peptides is applied. I also read, that for persistent hyperpigmentation and acne scars you recommend retin-a to be applied right after microneedling. What can you recommend Sarah? If you recommend retin-a right after needling, is it after needling the 1.5mm or the 0.5mm?

By the way I also bought the single needles. Thank you and more power.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 05:35:38 PM »
It is great that your acne scars are improving. I do recommend applying the A-Ret right after dermarolling or needling in case of persistent acne scars, other scars or stretch marks and it would be useful for hyperpigmentation as well but the problem is that the A-Ret contains the acidic form of vit. A and if you enhance the absorption by dermarolling, very much is absorbed and the acid causes a burning sensation in the skin. It is not so bad on body skin, especially if you apply it on a small area and you can easily handle applying it into several needled acne scars but applying it to your whole face after dermarolling can be quite painful. I have once applied the A-Ret all over my face before I went to bed, after rolling with a 0.2 dermaroller and I was suffering for hours with my face being on fire. My skin was totally OK the next day but I would not do it again due to the pain. I tried it on my body skin and that was OK. I could certainly handle applying it on a small part of my face so you can try that. Do it after rolling with a 0.5 mm dermaroller. Maybe other people have different experiences and I perceived the pain more due to the fact that it was at night and I wanted to sleep. In any case, try it on a small area first.

spatwat

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 12:07:03 AM »
Thank you Sarah for the insight. I'll try applying retin-a on a small area first. If I can tolerate the pain then I'll apply it all over my face after microneedling with 0.5mm. All the things we do for acne, like they said no pain no gain.LOL

glossy

• Forum member
Re: Best time to apply Retin-A for hyperpigmentation
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 07:56:04 PM »
Hello Sarah,
Is that the only reason you don't recommend retin-a immediately after rolling, because of the discomfort? But if there is no discomfort or can be tolerated it is beneficial or superior to other forms of vit a?

The reason I'm asking is because I recently rolled my belly, breasts and a small spot on each thigh after numbing the skin with a 1.5 and absolutely no pain. The skin was still numb after the roll so I took advantage of this and applied my retin-a 1.0. I was under the impression that retin-a is a superior form to use if it can be tolerated. I want the best results for my stretched skin and stretch marks.

Would there be any reason to using both?

Also, should I move up to a 2.0mm roller since I didn't have pain with my 1.5?

P.S. I'm adding a single needle for individual stretch marks on my next order.

Thank you!

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Re: Best time to apply Retin-A for hyperpigmentation
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 05:06:21 PM »
I do not recommend it due to discomfort and irritation.

Nevertheless, in case of stretch marks and other scars with hardened collagen, I do recommend applying Tretinon right after dermaneeding:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/Stretch-Marks-individual-needling

Acidic forms are the most potent but also the most irritating.

You did not have pain likely because of the numbing cream. You can move to 2 mm later on, when your 1.5 mm instrument gets blunt.