Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: hyperpigmentation still after 15 days  (Read 8249 times)

Lacrima

hyperpigmentation still after 15 days
« on: September 11, 2011, 04:40:56 PM »
Hi Sarah,

I single needled and dermarolled my stretch marks 15 days ago and I now still have hyperpigmenation and have a dermaroller pattern on my legs. I really hope this will go  away. Is there a risk that needling/dermarolling could leave permanent hyperpigmentation? Did I do anything wrong? When my reaction is so strong how long should the interval of sessions be?

Thank you very much in advance

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 05:20:15 PM »
It is quite common to have hyperpigmentation that lasts weeks after a dense and deep single needling. To have a dermarolling pattern that is still there 14 days after dermarolling is not common at all but it is possible in sensitive skin. It will go away.

Did you perform the test patch on a small skin area as we recommend in our instructions?  Did it heal well? Are you prone to hyerpigmentation?

Dermarolling never leaves permanent hyperpigmentation. You can get long lasting hyperpigmentaion if you expose the needled areas to the sun soon after needling and without any protection. The pigmentation disappears but it can take a long time.

Lacrima

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 09:13:28 PM »
Thanks for your quick response, I appreciate it.

yes I did a test patch and on my face the roller pattern disappeared very very quickly, but on my legs it's still there. I'm usually not prone to hyperpigmentation and didn't expose myself to the sun at all.

BUT I did apply self tan at 5 1/2 days after rolling and needling ( I read 3 days after rolling and 5 days after needling is safe) so this could have made it worse I guess. Could self tan sink so deeply in the dermarolled skin (again I waited 5 1/2 days not to risk it) that you wouldn't be able to get rid of it? Sarah how long would you wait till the next rolling session, should I wait till the hyperpigmentationh is totally gone ( I don't want to damage the skin or interfere in the healing process!)? Every six weeks, maybe? By the way I didn't roll/needle on self tanned skin.

Thank you so much

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 04:30:34 PM »
Yes the self tan may have caused it. Not by sinking in but the skin that is not completely healed takes up the self tan more than the uncompromised skin. It will go away.

There is no problem rolling on the self tanned skin. However it will speed up the diminishing of the tan because dermarolling speeds up the turnover of the skin.

Lacrima

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 09:19:19 AM »
Thank you so much Sarah!

It's such a relief to know now that it's not permanent.Thanks