Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Weight Loss and Dermarolling  (Read 5763 times)

Silver_Skin

Weight Loss and Dermarolling
« on: October 28, 2011, 09:50:56 AM »
I am actively trying to lose weight.

It was asked in a previous post whether or not dermarolling while actively losing weight, before reaching a healthy body weight was safe or OK. My question is the same, however, the poster of that question was much closer to their healthy weight than I am. I have at least 100 pounds still to lose. I don't know if this is relevant? I understand that it is possible to do more damage when dermarolling. My skin is in very bad shape and I don't want to risk further damage to it because I didn't make this clarification.

I ask now because I was hoping to begin treatments as soon as possible because I understand it can take at least 10 treatments/10 months to see any results.

I also know from previous weight loss that, when I reach a healthy weight, I will be considering a tummy tuck or body lift. Should future plastic surgery be considered?

My stretch marks are all white/silver and have been for a long time. They are all thin and dense; clustered on my shoulder/upper back, my inner, upper arm from armpit to elbow, my chest or the top of my breasts, and on my sides from my armpit to the top of my hip.          

Thank you for your help and providing such a good resource.

I really appreciate it.:)

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Weight Loss and Dermarolling
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 06:35:26 PM »
There is no reason why dermarolling would cause any damage when performed while losing weight.  The only thing I want to emphasise is that there is no way dermarolling can fix significantly excessive skin, such as after major weight loss. I have written about it here:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/Excess-skin-with-dramatic-weight-loss

If you end up with excessive skin after weight loss, give your body some time to accommodate to its new shape and do your best to build up muscles.

If still left with sagging skin, there is no other way to fix this than plastic surgery that will cut off the excessive skin (hopefully including some stretch marks).

You can certainly dermaroll stretchmarks when in the process of losing weight.