Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Help please... feeling sick re: type of needle used!  (Read 6517 times)

Peony

Help please... feeling sick re: type of needle used!
« on: October 29, 2011, 12:51:11 PM »
Hi folks... just registered a few minutes ago but have been lurking and getting info from here and other sites for weeks now.  I'm currently feeling nauseous b/c I think I made a mistake with the type of needle I used to single needle :(

Briefly, I have several ice-picks (and a couple of boxcars) on my forehead.  I researched and researched--or so I thought-- on single needling before I started and ended up purchasing the tiniest diabetic lancet I could find-- a 33 gauge BD.  I needled 3 scars.  2 icepicks and 1 boxcar.  I didn't' go aggressively... about 6 sticks per scar and I didn't go very deep.  Probably about 1 mm at the most.

Definitely drew blood, but as I see, this will happen with any lancet.

So I just found Sarah's comment about how lancets are "completely unsuitable" due to the beveled edge.  Don't know how I missed this page during initial research.  

I'm so devastated. :( :(  I thought I was doing things right-- using a guaranteed sterile needle and choosing the smallest one.  

Can anyone legitimately rest my mind at ease a little?  Have I done damage b/c of a beveled edge?  Does it matter that the diameter I used was so tiny-- does this make it better?

Ugh.  I feel so sick....

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 05:17:32 PM »
There is no need to panic :-)

Lancet needles are shaped to easily cut a slit into the skin - their purpose is to cut the very tough skin of the finger to draw blood for glucose monitoring.  This shape is unsuitable for subtle microneedling but if you only did it once and not aggressively, your skin will not suffer permanent damage.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 01:15:37 PM by SarahVaughter »

Peony

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 03:41:51 PM »
Thank you Sarah!  I appreciate your feedback.  I will try not to worry.  I didn't twist the needle in and it was lancet instead of a syringe, so I'm guessing it's not too dire.