Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Corn remover for collagen lumps?  (Read 15125 times)

cj123

• Forum member
Corn remover for collagen lumps?
« on: October 30, 2011, 10:12:32 PM »
I've been dermarolling and single needling with really good results. The only thing is sometimes I get these white round collagen lumps forming in the areas I worked on. They look almost like in the skin moles. I know they're not because of the fact that they're white and formed soon after the needling. I only have 3 small ones but I'd like to get rid of them. Needling doesn't seem to help. They are raised slightly too.

I was thinking if it would be safe to use one of those corn remover patches with 40% salicylic on top of them. Would that help them to dissolve? Alternately I could use the liquid corn remover but that's only 17% salicylic acid. Is this safe for the surrounding skin?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 11:28:35 AM »
I am not sure what you mean by collagen lumps. There can be some skin "bumps" after needling but nothing permanent.  Have they appeared every time you needled? Have they disappeared? Are they painful to the touch?

cj123

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 09:03:36 PM »
They don't appear every time I needle. I have a couple on my forehead and one on my cheek. They're not painful. I've had them for about 2 years now. I had one on my shoulder one time after an injury. It was a round white lump. The doctor injected cortisone in it and it went away completely and never came back. Cortisone in the face is something I don't think is safe though because it can damage the skin. I think my skin just tends to form a lot of collagen really quickly. They're quite small and I don't think I should single needle them because that might make them bigger.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 03:29:00 PM »
Do I understand it well - you needled for two years and you have had those lumps since? Apart from the lump that formed on your shoulder after an injury, have you ever got them?

Do you have any keloid scars?  The difference between a keloid and a hypertrophic scar is that a hypertrophic scar is raised but it is more or less within the boundaries of the original injury. Keoloid scars totally outgrow the original boundaries of the injury and they grow to all directions.

Do you get scars even from tiny injuries such as a bug bite?

cj123

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 01:03:56 AM »
I don't have any keloid scars but I do have a couple of hypertrophic scars. The funny thing is that not all scars heal with the hypertrophic scars. Some are quite flat. I had a couple of moles removed and one scar was raised and the other stayed flat. I don't get scars from bug bites at all. None from small cuts or anything either.

The round lumps look almost like a very small piece of pearl barley under the skin. Like a grain. I have dermastamped and rolled several times in the last couple of years. I also single needled. No problems except for these areas. I probably wouldn't bother to do anything about them except for the location on the forehead. This area makes lumps much more obvious. It must be scar tissue of some kind.

soon

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 07:18:51 PM »
Could the ones on your face possibly be millia?

https://http://www.skinsight.com/adult/milia.htm

I have them & the buggers are hard to treat.

I've actually found dermarollering helps them tho.

Your doctor or pharmacist should be able to tell if you have millia.

All the best,

Cheers soon

cj123

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 11:25:44 PM »
Soon thanks for that info. :)

One of the larger ones in the pictures sure looks exactly like what I have. It makes total sense since it say's milia can form at the site of skin injury. And they happened after I needled the skin. One of the way's they can be removed is with acid peels. So I think the salicylic acid patch may well work.

I soooo appreciate that you found this info. I'm still wondering if 40% salicylic acid is too strong.

soon

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 03:35:27 AM »
Your welcome :)

I've used Sarah's single needles to "hack" some out.

I wouldn't suggest everyone do this as I have skin that heals well.

I'd try 20% more regularly than 40% salicylic.

I've used 10% glycolic acid & used frequently to remove a clear mole.

FINELY uses 20% salicylic with ice on standby. She explains her method wonderfully in this thread.

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/Needling-and-dermastamp

Best of luck with whichever method you choose,

Cheers soon

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 09:28:55 AM »
Thank you Soon, I think you are right.  Milia got into my mind too but I got confused when reading that corticoid was used to dissolve the nodule on the shoulder so I wanted to suggest a visit to a dermatologist. But it seems they really are milia.

Milia consist of keratin - the skin's hardest protein that makes the outer skin layer so tough. Hooves and nails are also made of keratin.

You can pierce a milium with the single needle (start with making one or two pricks into it - it should be enough) and extracting the entrapped keratin by very gently pushing it out with two paperclips.

Salicylic acid has a keratolytic effect (softens keratin) - it would also be useful.

cj123

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 01:02:03 AM »
Thanks again both soon and Sarah. This is really helpful. Finally I know

what these round white growths are.

legolas123

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 03:57:54 PM »
a question: if a person has some hypertrophic scars can use the Dermaroller? also on hypertrophic scar? thank you

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 05:38:59 PM »
Yes you can definitely use a dermaroller, dermastamp or single needling on hypertrophic scars.

Not on keloid scars though.

The difference between a keloid and hypertrophic scar is that a hypertrophic scar is raised but it is more or less within the boundaries of the original injury. Keoloid scars totally outgrow the original boundaries of the injury and they grow in all directions. A keloids-prone person can get a huge scar just from a bug bite or vaccination.