Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Micro needling and solar keratosis  (Read 6685 times)

Nina

Micro needling and solar keratosis
« on: November 20, 2011, 11:33:17 PM »
Hi Sarah,

I'm interested in trying micro needling but I have a small visible solar keratosis above one eyebrow (it is an oval patch of brown, scaly skin about 5 mm long by 3 mm high).  Is this better treated with a chemical peel?  Other websites say not to use microneedling on "severe" solar keratosis but what is severe?  

Thanks for some clarity,

Nina

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Micro needling and solar keratosis
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 01:24:57 PM »
Actinic (solar) keratosis is caused by repeated sun damage. You should definitely increase your sun protection.

Only a small percentage of acnitic keratosis cases becomes malignant but I suggest you go to see a doctor. They can do a diagnosis and possibly treat it with liquid nitrogen or a prescription of fluouracil.

You can try applying an anti-inflamattory cream such as a cream containing salicylic acid or diclofenac or ibuprofen, or apply diluted Tee Tree Oil. Or buy NUROFEN rapid capsules or NAPROXEN capsules and pierce them. They both contain a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory subtance. It is all for sale OTC in pharmacies. You have to use it long-term.

I do not think using a dermaroller on solar keratosis is a good idea. You can roll your face but do not roll over the actinic keratosis area.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 04:42:55 PM by SarahVaughter »