Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: What size needle to use on a birthmark?  (Read 13336 times)

Luchitas

• Forum member
What size needle to use on a birthmark?
« on: December 06, 2011, 10:23:28 PM »
Hi,

I am new to this board.  I was born with a birthmark on my right leg, it is about the size of a dime.  The skin is a little thicker on my birthmark than the rest of my leg and it is pretty dark.  What size needle should I use on this birthmark and how often.  I understand this process takes a long time, but is there hope for the birthmark to eventually get lighter or possibly going away?  What other products should I use beside the A and D ointment and A-ret on this birthmark?

Thank you,

Lisa

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 01:00:49 PM »
It depends what type of birthmarks you have. There are two main types of birthmarks:

Vascular - caused by dilated blood vessels. They are kind of reddish and they are often on the face:

Pigmented - caused by an excess of skin pigment melanin. They are brownish:

If your mark is vascular, a dermaroller will not help. A dermaroller cannot seal the diluted blood vessels. You will have to have a vascular laser done. The laser light is absorbed by hemoglobin in the blood, this absorbed energy heats it up and the heat seals the blood vessel.

If you marks are melanin-pigmented, you can buy a  1.5 mm dermastamp, stamp the mark superficially three times a week (no need to insert the needles deep into the skin) and apply melanin synthesis inhibitors (also called tyrosinase inhibitors) such as hydroquinone cream.

Homemade mild melanin-inhibitor:

Clean a lemon skin very thoroughly. Using a fork, make the skin leak its juice and apply it on your pigmentation. Cover it with plastic foil. Follow this procedure several times a week. If it irritates your skin, stop using it.

Pigmented spots can also be improved by a laser that targets/ heats up melanin. It sometimes reapears.

Protect your stain from the sun. Sun exposure induces melanin production (melanin is our natural UV filter).

Attached files  

Luchitas

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 03:04:20 PM »
Hi Sarah,

My birthmark is a dark brown pigmented kind.  I will follow the protocal above that you suggested and use a melanin-inhibitor.  Is there a specific hydroquinone cream that you reccomend?

Thank you for your reply,

Lisa

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 01:52:17 PM »
Do not use Tri-Luma. It contains a corticoid (anti-inflammatory) which can be useful in Melasma but you should never apply corticoids on your skin if there is no very good reason for it.

Try to find a hydroquinone cream that also contains Tretinoin.

The problem with long lasting hyperpigmentation in Melasma, cafĂ©-au-lait spots and other melanin related pigmentation is that the root cause of the pigmentation is unknown.  It is caused by local overproduction of skin pigment melanin by pigment producing cells (melanocytes) but nobody knows why melanocytes produce an excessive amount of melanin in certain places. Thus, you cannot treat the cause but only the symptoms. That is why fighting hyperpigmentation is so difficult.

You will manage to lighten your spot with melanin inhibitors, however it is likely that your melanocytes will keep on producing excessive amounts of melanocytes in that area. The reoccurrence of the hyperpigmentation does not always happen, however it is not uncommon.

Do not use hydroquinone for extensively long periods and give your skin a break after about three months of usage.

There is a new skin lightening topical called Elure that works in a different way than hydroquinone.

Elure contains an enzyme that breaks down existing pigment. Hydroquinone prevents formation of a new pigment.

The results with Elure were disappointing in many cases and successful in a few. I don't want to comment on its efficacy because I truly can't say anything else about it except that it's extremely expensive.

Luchitas

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 12:33:18 PM »
Hi Sarah,

Well I bought a lemon.  Thank you for sharing all of your carefully researched information and experience about microneedling and related topics.  

Lisa

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 02:39:49 PM »
Lemon skin juice is too mild an inhibitor to do the job. It can help with the maintenance but for the initial lightening you will really need a stronger-acting inhibitor, such as hydroquinone.  The best is to use both but do not mix them together. Use them in turns.

Luchitas

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 03:38:13 PM »
Thank you, Sarah.  I will also add a hydroquinone cream.  I am looking forword to seeing what kind of progress I can achieve on my birthmark using the combined protocal above.  I really appreciate all of researched information and this forum!!!

Lisa