Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: skin cleanser before applying vitamin C serum  (Read 8142 times)

Lino Bianchi

skin cleanser before applying vitamin C serum
« on: December 10, 2011, 05:55:59 AM »
Good morning Sarah,

I've got another question for you, please bear with me.

I can't find a skin cleanser without oil for deterging the face before applying vitamin C.

All I can find here is an oat based cleanser called Aveeno or Roberts Rose Water, which is basically distilled water. There are also antibacterial gels for the hands which do not contain soap, but I don't know if they're all right.

Any suggestions? What if I used some alcohol diluited with water to remove cream from the face, would it be too strong?

thank you for your answer.

Have a nice day

Lino

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 04:28:21 PM »
You do not have to apply vit. C every day. Every second or even third day will do.

Alcohol is too strong. Alcohol is required for disinfection but it dries out the skin. Antibacterial gel will also contain a harsh ingredient – anything with the capacity to kill bacteria (apart from antibiotics) will not be overly gentle to the skin.

Do you use shower gel on your face when showering?  If you do, then apply vit. C right after the shower.

A warm shower without using any gel will actually rinse off most creams except for really heavy ones.

If you saturate your skin with vit. C before the dermarolling day, there is no need to apply vit. C for about three days after dermarolling. Vit. C stays in the skin for several days and its levels will slowly diminish.

Lino Bianchi

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 05:04:51 PM »
thank you Sarah,

I do use shower gel but I guess it contains some coconut oil or so ... However if you say that a warm shower will do, it's fine.

have a nice evening,

Lino

ANTIAGEING

• Forum member
Re: skin cleanser before applying vitamin C serum
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 05:43:30 AM »
Hi Sarah, I unfortunately only discovered your website this weekend.  On another website I was told to put on lidocaine for the pain which I did, but it did not mention washing it off before I needle.  I have done this twice (needling without washing off).  What damage do you think I could have done to my skin by this omission?  I won't do it again for sure!!  However I am now extremely worried about the damage done to my skin.  I was using a 1mm dermaroller.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Re: skin cleanser before applying vitamin C serum
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 11:50:45 AM »
There is no damage to the skin. The problem is that lidocaine could have systemic effects if it gets into the blood stream and it is overdosed.  Lidocaine is used systemically by doctors (at the dentists', aesthesia etc.) and there is no danger in topical application except if you apply a high percentage of lidocaine on really extensive areas, esp. on recently dermaneedled areas.

OTC lidocaine topical anesthetics are not higher concentrated than 5%. However, we want to stay totally on the safe side and we warn our customers not to apply it in one go on extensive areas and also to wipe it off before any form of mcironeedling (microneedling highly enhances the penetration of products).