Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: A-Ret Q.  (Read 6506 times)

LP3

A-Ret Q.
« on: January 04, 2012, 01:11:40 PM »
I am so excited about your A-Ret cream! I can't wait for it to become available by the end of this month, as stated in your webshop page! I plan on alternating use with my homemade Vit-C serum but I was kind of wondering if it would be ok to mix the Vit-C powder in the A-Ret cream instead and use every other day? Thank You!

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
A-Ret Q.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 10:34:49 AM »
We also are excited - it's a major improvement for us. We are re-investing our profits into machines to produce some of our own formulations.

Ascorbic acid (Vit. C) is water-soluble, not fat soluble and it has difficulties penetrating oils. Water and oil do not mix unless you add an emulsifier. Most creams actually contain an emulsifier.

The most efficient way to use vit. C serum is to apply it to your skin, wait for it to penetrate and then apply any cream you like. I acknowledge that this method is quite annoying and time consuming.

You can mix vit. C into your cream but first dissolve the powdered crystals into a tiny bit of water. Mix the water into the cream. Basically, pour some of your prepared vit. C serum into your cream. For this purpose, make the vit. C serum more concentrated (add more vit. C).

We now sell a very finely-grained ascorbic acid instead of crystals so it will dissolve even quicker. Finely grained vit. C powder may even dissolve in a cream without pre-dilution in water (it depends what the cream contains). You have to try it on a small sample and stir a lot. It will take some time to dissolve. If it doesn't dissolve in the cream, use the trick with dissolving it in a little water before adding it to the cream.

The best is to use a small empty jar. In the jar, mix some of your cream and some of the fresh, highly concentrated vit, C serum (or add vit. C powder if it does dissolve). Use it up within one week (approximately) and prepare a new one. Keep vit. C serum in the fridge or prepare a new one every time you make a new batch of cream.

Firefox7275

A-Ret Q.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 10:40:31 AM »
Not Sarah, but I trained in pharmacy many years ago. Please never meddle with the formula of a prescription medication or any powerful topical active unless on the advice of a pharmacist or your dermatologist; this can affect the safety and/ or the efficacy. These products have been designed and rigorously tested to be both safe and effective as they are with the optimal pH, delivery method, preservatives and emulsifiers. The most common form of vitamin C and the one Sarah Vaughter sells is L-ascorbic ACID, even if it dissolved in the cream it would affect the pH. If you have not yet used Retin-A please have a consultation with a dermatologist or undertake extensive research so you understand what you are planning to use on your skin, and how to keep yourself safe. :research:

HTH.

ETA: cross post with SV but my professional opinion still stands.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
A-Ret Q.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 10:43:01 AM »
Thank you for this :-)