Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Acne Scars  (Read 11662 times)

cris

• Forum member
Acne Scars
« on: January 25, 2012, 04:27:33 PM »
Hi Sarah,

I’m a 27 year old Asian male and I wanted to know what you would recommend for the acne scars on my cheeks:

Some of the scars are quite new and range from 2 months to 2 years.  I had a really bad acne breakout 2 years ago and have been using retinoids nightly since.  Currently, I have been using Retin-A Micro every other night for the last year.  I’ve also been using Derma e’s Home Microdermabrasion Scrub once a week on my scars (though I’m aware that you’re not too keen on microdermabrasion).

I also have noticeably large pores that I wouldn’t mind treating as well, but improving my scars and hyperpigmentation is really my first priority.

I have two specific questions:

I took a picture of the far right side of my face because there is a scar that is hyperpigmented, but not indented like the rest of my scars.  I am unsure if I should dermaroller it or leave it alone?  

Also, my body is prone to acne and keloids, and I have two recent minor keloid scars near both sides of my jawline from another bad case of acne I suffered from two months ago.  However, I have never had keloid issues directly with my face, but I wonder if I should have any cause for concern with facial dermarolling?

Thank you so much for your advice and help!

Attached files    

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Acne Scars
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 02:53:53 PM »
The most efficient method for your type of skin texture and scars is to roll your whole face twice a week with a 0.5 mm dermaroller and use a 1.5 mm dermastamp on your scars every three weeks. You do not have to stamp all scars on both cheeks in one go. It is better to stamp thoroughly the scars on one cheek and some time later on the other cheek.

Are you sure the scars are real keloids and not just raised scars? Keloids are very rare. The difference between a keloid and a hypertrophic scar is that a hypertrophic scar is raised but it is more or less within the boundaries of the original injury. Keoloid scars totally outgrow the original boundaries of the injury and they grow to all directions.

The only way to find out how your skin reacts to rolling/stamping is trying it on a small patch of skin and letting it heal.

You can definitely roll or stamp over the hyperpigmented scar that is in the photo.

If your pores are clogged, use salicylic acid or/and you can try this:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/Oil-cleansing-method-to-get-rid-of-blackheads

The oil cleansing method works wonders for many but in some prone individuals, it triggers a breakout of acne. It is wise trying it first on a small part of the face.

cris

• Forum member
Acne Scars
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 02:10:54 PM »
Hi Sarah,

Here are pictures of my jawline.  Though, I don’t think the pictures do much justice because they appear more like bruises than raised scars/keloids.  My dermatologist told me that they were acne-turned-keloids and treated them with Kenalog injections to flatten them.  I also believe they’re keloid scars because of their itchiness, but I wanted to know your opinion and if they look treatable with dermarolling.  What would be the worst that could happen?

Also, if I purchase your Disinfectant Chloramine-T, can I use any kind of container to hold it?  And is there an expiration date after I produce it?

Thanks again for your help!

Attached files  

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Acne Scars
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 06:05:32 PM »
Dermarolling can be used on raised scars but not on keloids.  Actually, I have heard about cases of keloids being improved by dermarolling however, keloids react unpredictably and dermarolling, excision, laser treatment or any other serious disruption can trigger the keloid to grow more. Steroids (e.g. Kenalog) cause skin atrophy and are therefore used to reduce keloids.

If you can, avoid rolling them or try a dermastamp on a very small part of your keloids and you will see. There is no other way to find out.

cris

• Forum member
Acne Scars
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 07:21:45 PM »
Hi Sarah,

I have three follow-up questions;

1) I wanted to produce a 0.1% solution of Choramin-T with 1L of water, so I calculated that 10 grams would roughly equal 2 teaspoons of powder.  Is this correct?  (I’m terrible with measurements.)

2) You recommended that I use a 0.5 mm dermaroller twice a week and dermastamp every 3 weeks.  On the days that I dermastamp, can I stamp and then roll over the same spots all in one go?  Or should I separate the days that I stamp and roll?  (I tried this yesterday and my skin seems to react fine.)

3) After rolling with a 0.5 mm roller, should I apply Infadolan afterwards?  Or, is that suggested more for tools over 0.5mm?  (I do have acne-prone skin.)

Thanks!

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Acne Scars
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 05:31:42 PM »
10 g of cloramine-T in one litre of water is a 1% solution not a 0.1 % solution. A 0.1% solution is not strong enough for disinfection, for that you need at least 0.5% for 8 hours overnight.

A 2% solution is made with 20 grams in 1 litre of water.

A 1% solution is made with 20 grams in 2 litre of water. (or 10 grams in 1 litre, etc.) A 0.5% solution is made with 20 grams in 4 litres/1 gallon of water. (or 10 grams in 2 litres/half a gallon etc.)

I tried it on my scale and 10 g is roughly 4 flat teaspoons.

Yes, you can roll and stamp the same day.  

Infadolan is mainly for > 0.5 mm aftercare because the deeper you needle the more protection the skin needs afterwards. Itnfadolan can be applied after any size roller though.

If you are acne prone, do not apply Infadolan after rolling with a 0.5 mm.

Apply it only after your dermastamping session.

cris

• Forum member
Acne Scars
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 01:22:22 PM »
Sorry, yes 1% was what I originally meant.  Thank you for measuring.  Though, I was wondering if we go by your measurements, would then 5 grams/ 2 teaspoons of powder in 500ml of water also create a 1% solution?  A 500 ml bottle would fit a lot better in my fridge and would be easier to keep fresh.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Acne Scars
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 01:42:11 PM »
Yes, 500 / 5 = 1%.