Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Please help a newbie fix his acne scars!  (Read 18786 times)

skitzes

Please help a newbie fix his acne scars!
« on: February 22, 2012, 10:37:09 AM »
Thanks so much for a very informative site and supportive forum!  

I'm male, 38 years old, and desperately want to get rid of the acne scars on my forehead.  Pics are attached.  

First off- I'm curious- can anyone tell me what type of scars I'm dealing with (rolling, boxcar, icepick)?

Anyways I purchased a whole bunch of stuff to fix my scars and was hoping I could get help figuring out when to use what.  Some is from this site and some from others before finding this site.  Perhaps I got more than I even need but it can be very confusing.  I'm really dying to repair these scars to improve my self-image.  I just need to figure out the right regimen.  I'm sorry for mentioning other products- I'm not promoting or vouching for any of them, just listing everything I have so someone with more knowledge can educate me on what to use and in what order etc.  Feel free to tell me I wasted my money and not to bother using some of the products listed if there really is no benefit.  

.5mm dermaroller

1.5mm dermastamp

TriReduction Copper Peptides by Skinbiology

Glycolic 70% Acid Peel

Skin Eraser Cream (30% Glycolic + Lactic + Ascorbic + Other Ingrediants) by ZenMed

100% Emu Oil

Hyaluronic Acid

Vitamin C Powder and bottle to make my own serum

Infadolan

Retin-A .05% Cream

Clean & Clear 3-in-1 Exfoliating Cleanser (5% Benzoyl Peroxide)

Clean & Clear Dual Action Moisturizer (2% Salicylic Acid)

As I said this is a long time issue that really depresses me and any help figuring out how to repair the scarring will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance for your time and support!

Attached files    

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 12:48:22 PM »
I think a 0.5 m dermaroller and a 1.5 mm dermastamp would be an excellent choice in you case. As far as I can judge it, you have plain old boxcar scars and some rolling scars. They are not very deep. There is a good chance they will respond to dermarolling.

You bought way too much... I will think of a regimen for you tomorrow or over the weekend, and will post it here.

skitzes

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 04:42:15 AM »
Sarah,

Thank you so much for responding- it means so much to get a personal response!  Anyways sometimes my OCD kicks in when it comes to stuff like this and I get carried away, hence my ordering too much stuff lol.  When you're feeling desperate everything you read sounds like the answer and click click more money wasted.  I'm very excited to start a regimen and look forward to receiving and following your advice!  Can't wait to hear back from you!  =)

----- Scott

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 11:15:24 AM »
Your skin seems to be in very good condition and has no problems apart from the scars.

This routine is targeted to acne scars.

.5mm dermaroller - roll twice or three times a week.

1.5mm dermastamp - stamp densely every three weeks.

TriReduction Copper Peptides by Skin biology -
you can apply it after rolling with a 0.5 mm roller, however first start applying it without dermarolling. The skin has to get used to it. Do not apply it on the same days as vit. C.

Glycolic 70% Acid Peel – it exfoliates the skin. Dermarolling with a 0.5 mm roller is more than enough to exfoliate. Using the A-Ret is also more than enough. Using yet another exfoliation is excessive.

Skin Eraser Cream (30% Glycolic + Lactic + Ascorbic + Other Ingredients) by ZenMed – the same as above.

100% Emu Oil - if your skin likes Emu Oil, apply a little after rolling with a 0.5 mm dermaroller but let other substances/creams penetrate the skin first (in case you use any).

Hyaluronic Acid - you can apply it after dermarolling with a 0.5 mm roller. It is not going to improve scars though. You seem to be young; you have enough of your own hyaluronic acid.

Vitamin C Powder and bottle to make you own serum – apply for three consecutive days prior to stamping. For the rest, apply twice or three times a week. Once a week you can apply it right after rolling with a 0.5 mm but only if it doesn’t irritate your skin too much.

Infadolan - apply a little after using a 1.5 mm dermastamp. If it doesn’t make you break out, apply a little for several more days after stamping.

Retin-A  0.05% Cream – in your case, apply only twice a week. Apply without dermarolling.

Clean & Clear 3-in-1 Exfoliating Cleanser (5% Benzoyl Peroxide) - apply only if you have acne. Apply without dermarolling. Do not apply two days after stamping.

Clean & Clear Dual Action Moisturizer (2% Salicylic Acid) - apply if you have acne or blackheads/whiteheads. Apply without dermarolling.

To make it easy and doable for you, apply Copper peptides twice a week, vit. C twice a week and Tretinoin twice a week.

BTW, you may be interested in the method of "hair replication":

https://http://www.artistryconceptshairreplication.com/main/gallery.html

I hope you are not angry with me or offended, When I saw the nice shape of your head I just thought this method would look really good on you.

This highly talented tattoo artist specializes in creating a very realistic "recently shaven head" look. (The technical term is "hair replication"). I have nothing to do with them, I do not know them. I think it looks good.

For anybody interested: Do not have this done by just anybody. It can end up looking terrible if they are inexperienced in making the dots look natural or use unsuitable ink and/or methods.

skitzes

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 03:57:09 AM »
Great, thanks so much!  No offense taken on the hair suggestion- it's an interesting idea lol.  If I had the money I'd get the whole follicular unit transplantation done but in the meantime I'll keep waiting for stem-cell therapy to become a reality lol.

Anyways, I will alternate each night as follows:

Night 1- Dermarolling followed by copper peptides and emu oil

Night 2- Retin-A (should I follow with emu oil?)

Night 3- Vitamin C (should I follow with emu oil?)

Repeat.

This would have me doing each 2x-3x a week as you suggested.  Does that sound like a good plan?  

Also, should I use the peptides, Vitamin-C or Retin-A in the morning as well on those days or is there some other moisturizer or lotion I should be using every morning after I shower?  Speaking of which, what should I use as a cleanser if I am acne free and dont need to use the benzoyl peroxide?

Thanks again for your help!

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 12:58:51 PM »
You can apply emu oil right after the Retin A but you should let the vit. C and copper peptides fully penetrate the skin before you apply the emu oil or apply the emu oil in the morning.

In the morning, apply only a moisturizer and/or sunscreen. If your skin can handle oils, wet a cotton pad with a little tap water, pour a few drops of almond oil or emu oil etc. on it and clean/moisturize your face.

Just use a cleanser that you like. Everyone likes something different.

Kat

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 12:35:53 AM »
I'm new to this site as well (I just sent you an email before figuring everything out with the sign up process). As mentioned in my email, I'm 32 and would like to correct the post-fraxel hyperpigmentation on my face as well as refine my already small but dilated pores and deal with the uneven appearance of the skin on my cheeks (from acne scarring that still remains after laser treatment).

Could you please suggest a regimen for me? I'm not sure which rollers/stamps are best for me, and if I should start with the shortest length and work my way up. I have very few fine lines but hope to keep it that way ;)

I was thinking something along these lines:

.5 mm dermaroller every 2 days

1 mm or 1.5 mm dermaroller (or a stamp?) every couple of weeks followed by copper peptides

Vitamin c serum with hyaluronic acid daily along with good basic moisturizer

Retinol cream of some sort (after rolling?)

I'm new to this so unsure - any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 07:08:18 PM »
The best approach to combat hyperpigmentation is to constantly protect it from the sun. The majority of pigmentations are melanin related. Melanin pigment is produced in our skin upon sun exposure to prevent the DNA damage. Melanin functions as a UV filter. An uneven distribution of melanin pigment in the skin is what causes hyperpigmentation or hypopigmentation. Melanin can also be produced in the skin as a result of a skin trauma such as laser treatment, a burn, a cut, acne, a bug bite etc.

Dermarolling is very successful with acne scars or post acne marks but much less with dilated pores:

https://http://owndoc.com/dermarolling/dermarolling-microneedling-hype-realistic-results/

Pores are not scars and there is currently no method to reliably and permanently reduce pore size. Dermarolling is worth trying since several of our customers wrote us their overall skin texture and pore size improved with dermarolling. They mainly used a 0.5 mm regular roller, some used the single needles or a dermastamp.

On the other hand, regular dermarolling often unclogs pores and clean pores actually look deeper than plugged pores (the plugs flatten them).

Your choice is good. Buy a 0.5 mm dermaroller (skin texture and hyperpigmentation) and a 1.5 mm dermastamp (for the scars).

You can apply your vit. C and hyaluronic acid after dermarolling with the 0.5 mm roller (if it doesn’t irritate the skin too much, otherwise dilute it).

You should apply the A-Ret on the days you're not rolling.

Kat

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 08:04:14 PM »
Haha, I think we must be on here at the same time Sarah - because I posted on an older thread I wasn't sure if you'd see it for a while so started another thread (sorry about that! I'm probably being a bit of a pest). I appreciate your feedback! Thankfully I do have naturally smaller pores so hopefully just regular exfoliation and proper care will help that out. The uneven skin and minor scarring are my real concerns, and I'm hoping the dermarolling and products will help clean out my easily clogged pores. Once I get started, I'll keep you posted regarding my results. Thanks!

Oh, just a quick question when you have a spare moment: is the derma stamp similar to the dermaroller for results on scarring? And does the derma stamp hurt more? Thanks again, and sorry for the double posts...

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 02:39:07 PM »
Yes, the results are comparable. A dermastamp is more targeted but slower and some customers find it less painful than a dermaroller.

If your pores are already small then try to be content and do not take any chances trying to make them even smaller with dubious methods.  Try to improve just the scars or oiliness.

I get lots of emails from customers who underwent dermabrasion, deep peels, laser treatments, IPL etc. for enlarged pores and it made their pores even worse. Pores are quite unpredictable.

To unclog your pores, you can try this:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/Oil-cleansing-method-to-get-rid-of-blackheads

Kat

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 06:28:39 PM »
Thanks again! I will definitely try your method for unclogging pores, as that seems to be my issue moreso than pore size. Are you planning to carry salicylic acid in the future? I've just placed an order through your site and will keep you posted on my results with the stamp, etc...you sell some great products. I ordered the .05 a-ret, the copper peptides, the a-d lanolin ointment and of course the roller/stamp. For a day cream, what do you recommend? I keep seeing all these ads for La Mer and other (very expensive) products but I wonder if it's mostly hype. I was thinking of trying just plain old cetaphil as I believe it's non irritating and compatible with retin-A. My skin doesn't break out from oil at all. But my pores do seem to get clogged no matter what.

I recently added glycolic acid peels (30%) to my regime, followed by a bit of rosehip oil in my night cream. My skin seems to like this although the gunk in my pores looks more exposed. Can I continue these peels when using a dermaroller/stamp?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 03:40:17 PM »
In cosmetics, the more expensive doesn't mean the better. Often, the only difference in effectiveness of a very expensive cream and a cheap one is that it will more effectively take more money out of your pocket..

You know, when Estee Lauder started to sell her products, they did not sell almost at all. Guess how she made them so popular: She made them extremely expensive. People believe something so expensive surely must do miracles for their skin.

Yes you can continue with your peels but if you roll with long needles, do not apply any peels until the skin is  healed.

Kat

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 05:29:20 PM »
That doesn't surprise me at all about Estée Lauder, how strange that people get duped like that.

Thanks for your advice :) I do have a few additional questions. How will I know when the skin is completely healed to do a peel? Same with the .5mm rolling, when do I know it's safe to roll after a stamping or heavier rolling treatment?

Also, regarding sun protection, should I try to avoid the sun the whole time I'm treating my skin, or just for a few days after heavier rolling or stamping? Can I use sunblock or will it penetrate my skin too much because of product absorption?

And one more question (sorry! lol) - do you know where I can get salicylic acid for the pore cleansing treatment you posted? I live in Canada.

Thank you :)

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 06:45:15 PM »
I removed the word "completely" from my previous reply because it just has to be more or less healed - it means the skin is not swollen, red and tender.

Concerning sun protection, read my reply #4:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/recent-stretch-mark(1-week)

Plan the rolling session of your face, neck and other sun-exposed areas with long needles such that you don't have to go outside immediately after rolling. If you have to go outside, apply a sunscreen but the best is to stay inside until at least the next morning. If you roll your body, you can go outside immediately afterwards, just cover it with clothes.

Pharmacies probably carry salicylic acid products. Ask for a salicylic acid product that contains about 5% or a little more.

Kat

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 08:22:53 PM »
Much appreciated Sarah... Now I think I know enough to get going with the whole process...thanks for bearing with me and my onslaught of questions! There may be a couple more once I'm right into it, but you have been very helpful and your site in highly informative.