Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Different needle lengths used in mixed rolling schedule  (Read 15572 times)

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Different needle lengths used in mixed rolling schedule
« on: February 08, 2010, 07:04:31 AM »
> I also have the 1.0mm roller and the 0.5 Narrow roller, but I'm still

> confused as to how to use the 3 different sizes. Can

> they ALL be incorporated in my routine, for example: Can I still use

> the 0.5 Narrow once a week, then the 1.0 every 3 weeks, and then the 1.5?

Yes you can, provided you are not using them on the same skin that you have rolled before, according to the minimum interval times (needle-length-dependent) described in our instructions.

The same skin should not be rolled more than once in three weeks with 1.5 mm and no roller except for product absorption should be used on that skin in the meantime. You can use a 0.25 mm for skin product absorption.

You can use all your roller sizes at the same time but they have to be used on different skin areas.

You can roll around your eyes with 0.5 narrow and at the same time roll the back of your hands with 1.0 mm and at the same time your thigh with 1.5 mm for example.

Nevertheless, if you roll an extensive area with 1.5 mm, I would recommend you to wait until it heals before you roll another extensive area so that you do not put too much strain on the body in one go. Skin regeneration requires a substantial supply of vitamins, an immune response etc.

Needling with long needles causes micro-injuries and there is a risk of infection.

That's why it is better to do one part at a time, wait until it heals and then do another part.

>P.S. Can the 1.5 mm for my thighs be used more often than every 5 weeks?

If you roll densely and vigorously I would not roll more often than once in 3-4 weeks with the 1.5 mm. Collagen production is a very slow process. You should wait until the first stages of collagen production are completed and then roll again. Otherwise you risk making matters worse instead of better.

hehaho

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 12:17:44 AM »
Hi,

I'm considering incorporating copper peptides with regular/daily dermarolling into my regime to allow better product penetration. I'm currently doing dermarolling with 1.5mm every 4-6 weeks (Did only 2 sessions so far).

May I know what needle length will be suitable for regular/daily rolling (0.5mm or 0.75mm or?)? Will this rolling affect my collagen production from the 1.5mm rolling? Or even without daily rolling, is it good to incorporate copper peptides into my regime? I'm currently using Skin Medica TNS Recovery Complex, followed by other skin care products. If yes, where can I get good copper peptides?

Thank you so much, and I'll be looking forward to your reply!

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 04:54:26 AM »
To aid product penetration (incl. copper peptides) you should use a 0.2 or 0.25 mm roller, to roll two or three times a week. Not longer needles and not more often, whatever they may say elsewhere on the Internet!

Longer needles disrupt the healing process from the 1.5 needles. Believe me, I base this advice on countless hours of reading the applicable medical research literature. The only way to improve your skin like this is slowly. People who report "no results" or "negative results" even though they've been "rolling like hell for months" have no results exactly because they have overdone it. Just as a body builder can over-train and ruin his progress.

I am going to research, and write an article about Copper peptides soon and do not know yet where to get a good deal.

I have done some cursory searching on Google Scholar and I already found an article written by a plastic surgeon saying how copper peptides have some effect but can in no way replace the much more effective vit. A. and should always be used in conjunction to vit. A.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 10:51:46 AM »
I have done some research into Copper peptides and indeed, they do work:

Copper peptides for dermarolling

I am a bit wary of rolling a heavy metal into the skin, and there is no safety data on that (not will that likely ever be produced).

The company that makes the most popular brand of Copper peptides says that "Copper is good for you" and gives some examples why, but they fail to note that the more Copper you supplement, the less iron your body can absorb and use. So I recommend Copper peptides based on scientific evidence, but with some reservations about their long-term safety.

hehaho

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 12:35:03 PM »
Hi,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

I will consider a 0.2mm or 0.25mm roller then. :)

You also mentioned vitamin A. I've actually have Stieva-A, which from what I understand is a form of Vitamin A. Do you think it's better that I use this instead of copper peptide?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 01:24:49 PM »
You can use it, but better would be to use a non-acid form of vit. A. Stieva-a contains Tretinoin, which is acidic.

hehaho

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 11:55:27 PM »
I see, okay sure. Thank you so much once again! Really appreciate your help.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 01:46:30 PM »
I see I forgot to answer whether vit. A is better than Copper peptides. Yes, vit. A is much more important for skin regeneration than copper peptides. Copper peptides are a nice extra, but without vit. A, no good healing will result.

Chrystal

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 12:00:09 AM »
SarahVaughter;156 wrote: You can use it, but better would be to use a non-acid form of vit. A. Stieva-a contains Tretinoin, which is acidic.

Hi Sarah,

You say it's better to use a non-acid form of Vit A... do you mean directly after rolling? Because I have some Retin A cream (0.05%) that I bought from Alldaychemist last year I'd like to use up, rather than waste. Will it do 'damage' if I apply an acid Vit A (Retino-A/Tretinion cream) too soon after rolling? If so, is it better to wait some days before applying it, or don't you recommend it at all?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 08:44:15 AM »
Vit. A is destroyed by radiation of the sun, especially by UVA and that's why our skin usually lacks vit. A. Supplying vit. A to the skin is beneficial.

Taking vit. A orally is not recommended because it is cumulative and you could end up overdosing yourself.

Retin A (Tretinoin) is very good and I do recommend using it but not immediately after rolling because it is an acid and some of our customers got "burned" from immediate application.  It's unadvisable to put such strain on the rolled skin.

We think that a gentler form of vit. A should be used immediately after rolling (that's why we chose Retinyl acetate in our Infadolan ointment) and no acids should be put on the skin immediately after rolling, especially with long needles (unless you attempt to get rid of pigmentation spots).

Freshly made vit. C serum made of L-ascorbic acid crystals is excellent for the skin but is also an acid and you should apply it to your skin before rolling, and continue applying a couple of days after rolling. Vit. C stays in the skin for up to 70 hours so there is no need to apply it immediately onto the rolled skin.  It is much better to put it on the skin one hour or so before rolling.

Chrystal

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 05:45:44 PM »
Thank you very much for your reply!

Before learning that it isn't a great idea to apply the Vit C serum (made with L-ascorbic acid) I did actually apply it after my rolls last year. Well, not directly afterwards but either the same night or next morning... and it used to burn/sting/itch quite alot! and now I know why. I applied my 0.5% Retin-A cream directly after a roll too... Well now I will apply your Infadolan ointment (I will purchase more once I'm close to being empty on my current one) to avoid the burning/stinging etc.

Thank you for all your help.

yoankata

• Forum member
Re: Different needle lengths used in mixed rolling schedule
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 10:14:22 AM »
Hi Sarah,

I noticed you mentioned using acids after rolling may be beneficial with pigmentation. Can you elaborate on the actual method? I had severe melasma that has mostly gone away but there is a stubborn spot on my forehead and a couple of tiny spots on my cheeks (those could be PIH). I have rolled 2-3 times with 1.5mm and I wonder if incorporating some acidic compound after rolling might help with pigmentation?

Cheers!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 01:52:18 PM by SarahVaughter »

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Re: Different needle lengths used in mixed rolling schedule
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 01:25:14 PM »
I think the most effective for melasma is old good Hydroquinone. Buy a 0.5 mm dermastamp. Stamp your spots four times a week and apply hydroquinone right afterwards. Do it for three months and then one month off.

I am not sure where I mentioned using acids after dermarolling but you have to be careful because any form of dermaneedling highly enhances the absorption of the applied products and you could end up with burns. You must do a test patch first.

Some of our customers apply Retinoic acid (Tretinoin cream) on pigmentations right after dermarolling or stamping but not everybody's skin can handle it.