Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Hyperpigmentation - Acne  (Read 11037 times)

trein91

Hyperpigmentation - Acne
« on: March 05, 2012, 11:50:08 PM »
Can a derma roller be used onto areas which are hyperpigmentated? (due to cystic acne, which formed a head, burst and never healed completely) I've quite a number of hyperpigmentated spots on my cheek/forehead. Really wish I can get rid of them asap. >_<

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Hyperpigmentation - Acne
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 04:25:59 AM »
Dermarolling is very often successful in diminishing post-acne hyperpigmentation because it speeds up the turnover of the skin.

Buy a 0.5 mm regular roller and roll about 2-3 times a week.

Tretinoin cream (A-Ret) 0.025% is also useful in your case.

trein91

Hyperpigmentation - Acne
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 05:25:26 AM »
SarahVaughter;3211 wrote: Dermarolling is very often successful in diminishing post-acne hyperpigmentation because it speeds up the turnover of the skin.

Buy a 0.5 mm regular roller and roll about 2-3 times a week.

Tretinoin cream (A-Ret) 0.025% is also useful in your case.

Hey, how long would the shipment to Malaysia take approximately? ( I ordered your needling essentials) Since I managed to get retin-a at my place, should I start on it now? (0.05% since you said 0.025% was only for sensitive skin)

PS. If it's relevant at all, I used to use isotretinoin aka accutane, from what I've read and figured, it's chemically different from the tretinoin here right? I'm very reluctant to try tretinoin if it is indeed similar (which I think otherwise, but just checking once more), because I had really severe (permanent) side effects from accutane. (Which also makes me mad, because my dermatologist DID NOT clearly state the possible side effects to me)

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Hyperpigmentation - Acne
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 02:37:53 PM »
Shipping takes about two weeks to Malaysia, but it can take even longer.

What kind of permanent side effect did you get from Accutane?

From our dermarolling instructions:

"When taking Accutane: You should wait with dermarolling and single-needling for at least six months after taking the last dose of Accutane. Then, always do a small test patch first to see how it heals".

From our forum:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/Dermarolling-Needling-While-on-Accutane

Tretinoin is not the same as Accutane. And in addition, Accutane is taken orally.

Tretinoin often dries out the skin, especially initially before the skin gets used to it. Applying too much or too frequently may result in red, itching skin (fully reversible).

Tretinoin is very useful in certain skin condition but the more is not the better.

trein91

Hyperpigmentation - Acne
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 10:39:56 AM »
SarahVaughter;3229 wrote: Shipping takes about two weeks to Malaysia, but it can take even longer.

What kind of permanent side effect did you get from Accutane?

From our dermarolling instructions:

"When taking Accutane: You should wait with dermarolling and single-needling for at least six months after taking the last dose of Accutane. Then, always do a small test patch first to see how it heals".

From our forum:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/Dermarolling-Needling-While-on-Accutane

Tretinoin is not the same as Accutane. And in addition, Accutane is taken orally.

Tretinoin often dries out the skin, especially initially before the skin gets used to it. Applying too much or too frequently may result in red, itching skin (fully reversible).

Tretinoin is very useful in certain skin condition but the more is not the better.

Today, I received a notice from my local shipping company to collect the item at the post office. Perhaps what you said about them mistaking the vitamic C (white powder) for drugs is true. What should I do? Should I perhaps print an invoice of the items?? I'm kinda nervous atm cuz it says there 'representative NOT allowed' and other stuff, hope they don't think I'm importing drugs or other stuff. >_<

Btw, are PMs disabled here? Perhaps you could enable it only for users to contact administrators?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Hyperpigmentation - Acne
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 11:53:23 AM »
Yes, print the invoice and give it to them.

I can help you with it if you email me your order number or name.

PM's are disabled to prevent SPAM sent by a spammer that signed up to our forum, spamming directly to all our forum members.

You can email me (sarah@owndoc.com)

trein91

Hyperpigmentation - Acne
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 10:53:40 PM »
SarahVaughter;3258 wrote: Yes, print the invoice and give it to them.

I can help you with it if you email me your order number or name.

PM's are disabled to prevent SPAM sent by a spammer that signed up to our forum, spamming directly to all our forum members.

You can email me (sarah@owndoc.com)

Got the items, apparently they said that representatives are not allowed because it was insured. So much for worrying that it was confiscated or some sort.  Btw, I sent you an e-mail with pictures of my current skin condition. Could you perhaps recommend to me a skin care routine for rolling? I currently do this:

Daily= cleanse, benzoyl peroxide moisturize morning and night times (following the acne.org regime)

Once in a while = aloe vera, emu oil, exfoliate

Used to do = yoghurt + honey + oatmeal mask, green tea + apple cider vinegar + honey  mask

Should I continue to apply benzoyl peroxide to my skin? (for prevention purposes, as acne.org recommended, it seems to work for me as I only get pimples, nodules, cysts once in awhile now)  I still get the occasional pimples on certain locations but other areas of my face is clear (which im planning to roll).

Available stuff: 0.5mm roller, tretinoin, vitamin C crystals, copper peptide mask, infadolan), and other stuff mentioned above

Also, should the vitamin C be applied 3 days before rolling "for maximum concentration" as said in ur pdf instructions or every 2-3days?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Hyperpigmentation - Acne
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 07:44:43 PM »
I have looked at the photos you had emailed me.

There is a problem with some of your red spots. They are not just spots; they are in fact scars filled with unhealed tissue/crusts. When it finally heals, you will be left with scars, most likely.  You already have a few scars as you know.

The reason why long-lasting serious acne leaves scars is because acne causes intensive, long lasting skin inflammation and intensive chronic inflammation eventually damages the skin, it results in skin atrophy = indented scars.

Since you did not mention any scars, only hyperpigmented spots, I did not suggest anything to address scars. You will have to add a 1.5 mm dermastamp to your sessions. Stamp only the scars that are already healed (they do not have the red crust).

Continue using bezoyl peroxide. You should continue with your usual skin routines but do not apply benzoyl peroxide immediately after dermarolling.

Do not use Infadolan after dermarolling with a 0,5 mm roller. It could make you break out. Use Infadolan only after stamping with the 1 5 mm dermastamp.

Roll your entire face three times a week with the 0.5 mm dermaroller Apply Tretinoin (A-Ret) on the days that you do not roll. This should help with the redness and the crusts but you have to be patient.

If the crusts start to heal, do not stamp them yet. Let it completely heal first. When it becomes a scar, start stamping it every three weeks.

When you improve the crusts and the scars, you may need to use a 1 mm dermaroller to even out the overall skin texture.

Apply vit. C for 3 consecutive days prior to dermastamping. For the rest, apply it only every 2-3 days.

trein91

Hyperpigmentation - Acne
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 03:57:11 AM »
SarahVaughter;3286 wrote: I have looked at the photos you had emailed me.

There is a problem with some of your red spots. They are not just spots; they are in fact scars filled with unhealed tissue/crusts. When it finally heals, you will be left with scars, most likely.  You already have a few scars as you know.

The reason why long-lasting serious acne leaves scars is that acne causes long lasting skin inflammation and chronic inflammation damages the skin, it results in skin atrophy = scars.

Since you did not mention any scars, only hyperpigmented spots, I did not suggest anything to address scars. You will have to add a 1.5 mm dermastamp to your sessions. Stamp only the scars that are already healed (they do not have the red crust).

Continue using bezoyl peroxide. You should continue with your usual skin routines but do not apply benzoyl peroxide immediately after dermarolling.

Do not use Infadolan after dermarolling with a 0,5 mm roller. It could make you break out. Use Infadolan only after stamping with the 1 5 mm dermastamp.

Roll your entire face three times a week with the 0.5 mm dermaroller Apply Tretinoin (A-Ret) on the days that you do not roll. This should help with the redness and the crusts but you have to be patient.

If the crusts start to heal, do not stamp them yet. Let it completely heal first. When it becomes a scar, start stamping it every three weeks.

When you improve the crusts and the scars, you may need to use a 1 mm dermaroller to even out the overall skin texture.

Apply vit. C for 4 consecutive days prior to dermastamping. For the rest, apply it only every 2-3 days.

Thanks for the reply. The photos I gave you were from 7th March 2012, with a few active pimples. My skin was peeling due to benzoyl peroxide usage (even though I've used it for awhile, but the redness/peeling is still an issue once in awhile)(it's 5% bp, since I can't source for 2.5% bp at my place). Which part did you mean by " There is a problem with some of your red spots. They are not just spots; they are in fact scars filled with unhealed tissue/crusts. When it finally heals, you will be left with scars, most likely.  You already have a few scars as you know."?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Hyperpigmentation - Acne
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 03:44:23 PM »
I mean the red crusts your photos called "Left" that you emailed me.

How long have you had them unhealed like that? There are also some indented scars on your photos. Not many and not deep, but scars.

trein91

Hyperpigmentation - Acne
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 01:03:24 AM »
SarahVaughter;3292 wrote: I mean the red crusts your photos called "Left" that you emailed me.

How long have you had them unhealed like that? There are also some indented scars on your photos. Not many and not deep, but scars.

Well, the left ones are pretty old already: - two to three months ago or so. They were all from huge cystic acnes. Also, they all managed to form a head somehow, but I didn't extract them properly, (they all formed a head few times ie. repeatedly [a day after another head appears etc] even though at the time, I thought I did the proper steps by: cleaning hands with dettol, extracting with the rounded loop of a  comedone remover (bad move!) and applying clay mask (from blackhead removal video) and benzoyl peroxide) as I did with my right cheek.

For my right cheek, I applied a warm compress over my cystic acne (which eventually formed a head), disinfected my hands etc with isopropyl alcohol, got a super tiny needle and disinfected it too,  pricked it from the side of the cyst parallel to the skin, drained it out using more warm compresses (all tissues, so no infection), applied antiseptic cream instead of benzoyl peroxide. (read that from somewhere)

Perhaps it's (my right being better) due to the extraction, or that my right cheek was naturally better than my left. From past experience, the left cheek was more prone to slight blemishes even when I only extracted blackheads (for both sides using the same method)

My cheeks used to be clear of any blemishes/acne until recently pff. -.- It used to be only my forehead, which mainly has scars from 3-4 years ago. I still get a couple of zits on my forehead, but they're relatively mild now.

And yeah, I do realise I have a couple of indented scars, but they don't seem to bother me as much as the hyperpigmentated skin, as well as the orange-peel-like skin and discolouration on my forehead (which becomes really apparent, when I feel stressed, my skin gets inflamed/hot/sweaty etc)

At the moment, I'll try to fix those issues first as I'm running out of time because I'll be going to a foreign country for college/university. I doubt I'll be able to maintain the same dermarolling routine there.