Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Dermarolling hands/forearms for crepey skin and age spots  (Read 17374 times)

Yenzi

Dermarolling hands/forearms for crepey skin and age spots
« on: March 13, 2012, 11:30:04 PM »
Please let me know if dermarolling will help with my hands (perpetually dry) and forearms. My hands are crepey and wrinkly and I must get rid of these age spots, especially since my granddaughter said, "Mia,you have DOTS!" :scared: I'm not sure dermarolling will work for this? Could you please advise? If it will work, what would be the precise instructions? I'm thinking of using homemade Vitamin C after rolling as well as HA, but what length of needles be for this area, how often should I roll, etc? Thank you very much! My face, neck and chest look fine...I'm 54.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 04:21:18 PM »
Long term dermarolling will improve sun damaged, pigmented forearms and hands.

Prior to dermarolling:

Buy a pumice stone. Give your forearms (not hands) a very good scrub. Let it heal. When healed from the pumice scrub:

Week 1:

Day 1 - dry brushing, vit. C application (as explained in our instructions)

Day 2 - apply Tretinoin (A-Ret)

Day 3 - dry brushing, vit. C application

Day 4 - apply Tretinoin

Day 5 - apply nothing. Give your skin a break

Day 6 - dry brushing, vit. C application

Day 7 - apply Tretinoin

Do both the arms and the hands but be gentle with dry brushing your hands.

If the skin gets too irritated, reduce the frequency of applications or apply without dry brushing.

Week 2:  The same as week 1.

The skin will get really dry and will start peeling. Use Infadolan to ameliorate the dryness.

I have to go now. I will add to this posting tomorrow.

Yenzi

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 05:50:07 PM »
Thank you very much for replying and I look forward to further instructions! I will buy the pumice stone today and get started immediately!

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 04:49:59 PM »
Age spots are dark because they contain more melanin than the surrounding skin. Melanin is the pigment that determines the color of our skin. When our skin is exposed to the sun, the skin produces more melanin as a natural protection – melanin absorbs UV. Age spots are usually a result of sun damage. They are not age spots, they are in fact sun spots.

To get rid of age spots, you should speed up the turnover of the skin with a 0.2 mm dermaroller. Roll both your hands and your forearms every second day or so. Apply your hyaluronic acid cream right after rolling.

To address the crepey skin, you have to reach the dermis part of the skin to trigger collagen. Roll both your hands and your forearms every 10-14 days with a 1 mm dermaroller. Put more pressure on the roller when rolling the forearms than rolling the hands, especially if you have visible veins on your hands.

Continue applying the A-Ret. Three times a week is enough. If the skin gets irritated/dry, reduce it to twice a week.

Continue using the vit. C. It will help preventing the sun damage. You do not have to apply it every day.

You must protect the skin from the sun, otherwise the spots will reappear. Use a high factor sunscreen every day. If you apply Infadolan on your hands, apply the sunscreen first.

Dermarolling will not help with the dryness of your hands.

For the back of your hands, I recommend the Infadolan ointment that we sell. Apply just a little every morning. It is a semi-occlusive ointment that prevents water evaporation from the skin and thus keeps it extra moisturized. Using water-based creams or glycerin on the skin does not moisturize it for more than several minutes. Topically added water actually increases the evaporation of water from the skin. The skin contains enough water. The top layer of the skin works as a barrier that prevents evaporation from the skin. If this barrier doesn't work properly or is temporarily compromised, the skin becomes dry. Adding water does not solve this. Establishing a barrier that prevents water evaporation solves it. That is why oils are much better moisturizers than any light moisturizing cream because oils form a film on the skin that prevents the evaporation of water.