Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: seborrheic dermatitis  (Read 21457 times)

ana

seborrheic dermatitis
« on: April 19, 2012, 09:14:12 PM »
Hi,

I checked the forum to see if maybe this question has been answered, but I haven't found anything. I am 28 and have had seborrheic dermatitis since I was 17 more or less. I am managing it now, it almost never comes to the point where dry patches occur and the skin starts to scale, but I do have an itching and burning sensation most of the time, as well as persistant redness and very big pores on the affected areas. What bothers me most is the big pores and some minimal wrinkles I've developed on the forhead and around the eyes. I was hoping dermarolling could somehow improve my skin's appearance and texture. Would it be OK to use the dermaroller in the periods when the inflammation calms down, when my skin doesn't sting? I really don't want to do more damage to my skin, it's pretty bad for my age, I'm worried what I'll look like in 10 years... :(

Also, is it too soon to start dermarolling around the eyes?

Thank you in advance for your answer!

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
seborrheic dermatitis
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 06:06:50 PM »
To be honest, I hesitate to recommend dermarolling on skin with seborrheic dermatitis. It is not 100% certain, but this inflammatory condition is likely caused by overproduction of a certain yeast that is normally present on the skin.

I am not sure such skin will take dermarolling well. Seborrheic dermatitis is a very persistent skin condition that basically never fully goes away. It only goes up and down, depending on many factors, such as the current state of your immune system etc. Antifungals work but the condition often returns and gets resistant to them. Corticoids only suppress the inflammation but they do not address the cause of the disorder. In addition, corticoids are not good for the skin, long term.

If you had acne scars, I would say dermarolling/dermastamping is certainly worth it, even with the unpredictable reaction of your seborrhea but from our experience, only very few customers have achieved improvement of the pores and that is why I think it is not worth it in your case.

Dermarolling triggers short lasting inflammation and skin peeling (the peeling is not always visible). This may set off some kind of bad reaction of your seborrhea and you will hate me.

Theoretically, dermarolling could maybe improve seborrhea but it is really just speculation.

Swan

• Forum member
seborrheic dermatitis
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 09:49:33 PM »
"""Theoretically, dermarolling could maybe improve seborrhea but it is really just speculation. """""

Hi Sarah,

I have done some research on the internet about Seborrhea and dermarolling, and there is very little info. on it

Or even info of Seborrhea sufferers who have tried

I am willing to give it a shot, and I will report my progress here, if you like?

Specifically, dermastamping. I am about to order your dermastamp and also considering the dermaroller also.

I will be targetting acne scarring, but I was fascinated by your above statement.

Could you elaborate please on the theory of dermarolling improving seborrhea?????

I would LOVE to kill 2 birds (seborrhea AND acne scarring) with one stone

Thank you ever so much. Your board is THE most informative, most affordable products to date I have

come across on the net.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
seborrheic dermatitis
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 06:11:56 PM »
Thanks for the compliment!

Dermarolling speeds up the turnover of the skin and this could theoretically improve seborrheic dermatitis but it is just my theory and I certainly do not recommend dermarolling over the skin that is severely affected by seborrheic dermatitis because dermarolling may also make it worse. I really do not know. As you stated, there is almost no information about it and we do not have one single customer who tried it (at least not that I know of) and I have never recommended anybody to try it.

Dermarolling should only be performed on skin that has no serious disorder- such as Psoriasis, severe Rosacea, eczema, severe active acne, fungal infections etc.

If you have acne scarring, buy a 1.5 mm dermastamp and target only the scars.

Swan

• Forum member
seborrheic dermatitis
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 11:11:13 PM »
Hi Sarah

My SD is very mild, and only seems to get triggered if I over indulge in sugar, hence the theory that SD is caused by yeast overgrowth

I rarely get SD these days, but lately have been indulging in sugar

I do not plan to roll/stamp if the SD is active I will wait till its gone dormant

I did try a trial stamping on my temples about six months ago. By then I had completely forgotten about my SD.

But what was interesting was I had no untoward reaction whatsoever. No SD flareup at all

I think your theory may be valid, and I will definitely be doing this of my own volition, and choice

I will update you and your readers as to how it progresses

I was very happy with my very first trial on my face, with dermastamp tho

But I do believe in nutritional supps prior to any kind of skin rejuvenation process, as I believe this all enhances how well the collagen/healing will go.

Thank you again. I so appreciate the time you take to answer me and all the other posters!!

Maybe I'll be the first SD pionneer when it comes to dermarollilng! :)

ana

seborrheic dermatitis
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 12:22:56 AM »
Sarah, thank you so much for your kind and informative reply!! It has been most useful! And thank you, Swan, my fellow seb derm sufferer, for sharing your experiences. I have a mild seb derm condition as well, in my case it is more excessive production of oil (I notice it on my body and hair as well), as opposed to painful dry red patches caused by yeast. So I as well  have decided to give dermarolling a try, I will dermaroll my temples and sides of face first to see the reaction. I was thinking about using a 1mm dermaroller, or should I instead use a 0,5mm or 1,5 mm one?? I have seen a naturopath and am changing my diet as well as drinking herbal teas and taking supplements, so I believe that my skin should improve significantly in half a year already. Thank you again Sarah for sharing your knowledge with us, I love your website!!

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
seborrheic dermatitis
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 09:05:36 AM »
Dermarolling has often a positive effect on excessively oily skin in acne so you may be lucky.

Perhaps you should start with a 0.5 mm regular dermaroller. It speeds up the turnover of the skin and that could reduce oiliness and congestion of pores.

Do not expect that your enlarged pores will shrink in size though. Pores are not scars; they are deep ducts in the skin. The overall skin texture often improves with dermarolling but significant and permanent reduction of pore size is currently not possible by any method. Only a few of our customers managed to reduce their pores with dermarolling/needling. A great many customers managed to considerably reduce their acne scars and various other scars.

Swan

• Forum member
seborrheic dermatitis
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 12:03:35 PM »
Hi Ana !

Just wanted to add that I notice for myself, that sugar is my main culprit when it comes to SD

If I stick to healthy, low sugar foods, my SD doesnt seem to flare. I also notice for some reason, if it does flare, have had great healing from using

a particular sunscreen. Just seems to almost instantly calm it down.

Pls do let us know how it goes with the dermarolling.

I think starting off gentle and slow, trial run, is a great idea with sensitive skin like ours

I think that chronic skin inflammation (sugar is my causes) is  a must to be avoided in great healthy looking skin.

Thank hyou for this post Ana!

LiquidOcelot

seborrheic dermatitis
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 12:06:01 AM »
Hi, I just joined to say that I had seborrheic dermatitis and dermarolling (actually I used derma stamps) has eradicated it from around 75% of my face. So I definitely recommend it for that, but when you roll or stamp make sure the inflammation is as mild as possible. I manage this by eating only fresh fruit and veg (nothing cooked) for around 3-7 days before my treatment. Diet is definitely an instigator when it comes to seb derm.

However I am still battling with seb derm due to a chemical peel I applied about a year ago, I applied it only to my nose and the inside of my cheeks due to a mild irritation I had. I can now literally draw a line from where my SD starts and ends, it's only in the area where I applied the peel which I believe reversed the effects of the needling.

Hopefully after a few more bouts of needling it will fade away again. I'm going to apply a Vitamin B-complex mesotherapy serum as i've heard that topical Vitamin B6 can alleviate SD and also Autologous Platelet Gel which is basically PRP after my next treatment in about 2 weeks. Will let you guys know how it goes.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
seborrheic dermatitis
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 06:23:39 PM »
That is fantastic!

I would not have expected that. You may have to do some maintenance because Seborrhea is hardly ever completely cured, it is just brought under control and it goes up and down.

LiquidOcelot

seborrheic dermatitis
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 07:11:40 PM »
Well at this point I can say with very little doubt that my seb derm is completely cured in the areas that I didn't apply the chemical peel which is most of my face. My sebum production has balanced out nicely, it only overproduces if I overwash or use harsh cleansers. My skin type before needling was oily but also dry (typical seb derm), I could never use any moisturiser without breaking out. I'm not sure if this a common effect of skin needling but this has been the most welcome side effect for me.

When you say it can never be completely cured, do you mean for people who have had it since birth? If it can appear for the first time during adolesence/adulthood then surely it can fade away just the same.

Swan

• Forum member
seborrheic dermatitis
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 10:42:19 PM »
Hi Liquid

I never had it at birth. I acquired it when I become an adolescent, but only in my scalp. After Accutane usage, it migrated to my face, but i only haveit mildly

Were you ever on Accutane? 'A bit worried about really giving dermarolling a go, as results can be unpredictable becuase of impaired healing in some Accutane users. I , unfortunately am one of them.

Although now my healing is much much better than when I first got off accutane, it is still somewhat fragile, and has never fully recovered its health.

i also have the oily, but dry skin with the SB

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
seborrheic dermatitis
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 06:51:56 PM »
What I meant to say is that Seborrhea tends to re-appear no matter when it first came. Very few Seborrhea sufferers had only one incidence of Seborrhea without it ever coming back. I hope you will be lucky though!

LiquidOcelot

seborrheic dermatitis
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 01:13:50 AM »
Swan;3583 wrote: Hi Liquid

I never had it at birth. I acquired it when I become an adolescent, but only in my scalp. After Accutane usage, it migrated to my face, but i only haveit mildly

Were you ever on Accutane? 'A bit worried about really giving dermarolling a go, as results can be unpredictable becuase of impaired healing in some Accutane users. I , unfortunately am one of them.

Although now my healing is much much better than when I first got off accutane, it is still somewhat fragile, and has never fully recovered its health.

i also have the oily, but dry skin with the SB

No, I was never on Accutane. But i've heard it's safe to needle around 6 months after stopping usage of Accutane. However this is just what i've heard so I can't recommend it to you. I was worried aswell at first but needling is generally very safe if done properly. Some advice I can give you -

1. Start with a 0.5mm roller or even a 0.25mm since your healing may be impaired due to Accutane right now. See how your skin reacts then jump to the 1mm or the 1.5mm if you feel comfortable.

2. I recommend derma stamping over dermarolling. Rolling creates wider holes due to the needles going in at an angle which is harder for the skin to heal. Stamps are both easier and safer to use.

3. Make sure you wait the appropriate time inbetween treatments, if using a 1.5mm for example wait 6-8 weeks. I used to wait 6 weeks but i've found that 8 weeks is even better.

Good luck and hopefully you'll get the same results I have. Oily but dry skin is the worst skin type! I still have a reminder of that due to the peel I applied.

Swan

• Forum member
seborrheic dermatitis
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 02:59:42 AM »
Thank you Liquid Ocelet !!

Sarah,

Do you by any chance, sell dermastamps in the needle length range of 0.5mm, as suggested by LIquid???

I have had a look in your store, but only can find a dermastamp of 1.5mm.

Because I have sensitive skin, would prefer to start off more gently.

Thank you in Advance

Swan