Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Tanning and derma rolling  (Read 16021 times)

Des0909

Tanning and derma rolling
« on: February 22, 2012, 08:17:24 PM »
I am just learning about the derma roller and had a quick question.

I have semi deep stretch marks across my entire stomach and would love to try the derma roller.

I am torn because what I have read says that you cannot tan while using the derma roller?

Why is this so, and is there any way I can still tan and use the derma roller on my stomach?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 10:59:26 AM »
You should avoid sun exposure until the skin heals from dermarolling. If you roll the face, apply a high factor sunscreen. If you roll your body, wear protective clothes.

Apart from other things, sunshine damages skin collagen and you should certainly avoid excessive sun exposure, whether you are dermarolling or not.

Concerning hypopigmented skin or scars (such as white stretch marks) some sun exposure is necessary.

From our dermarolling instructions:

"In case of white scars or stretch marks, when you will have pricked all

your scars at least twice and they have healed, you can gradually expose the

scars to the sun. If you're lucky, they might get a bit tanned due to newly

formed melanocytes and revascularisation induced by needling."

From our forum:    

"Melanocytes only produce Melanin upon sun exposure. If you want to

re-pigment hypopigmentation, you must expose it repeatedly to the sun after

dermarolling - not immediately after but several days after. You do not have

to bake yourself for hours. Nevertheless, some sun exposure is absolutely

necessary."

Ayame

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 02:17:12 PM »
Hmm. I use rollers (0.5mm and also shorter sometimes... But i never go longer than 0.5!) on my face  before i go to bed.

The next morning i just go outside without any sunscreen on my face... Is this bad?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 09:02:55 AM »
Well, the skin is probably fully healed the next morning but it is better to use a sunscreen on your face in any case. Sunshine is the main culprit in skin aging.

Related forum posting:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/Sun-protection-with-dermarolling

Ayame

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 06:10:23 PM »
I know it's bad. I just forget it. Need to incorporate sunscreen into my daily morning routine...

However, my skin looks very good since i started the rolling sessions with the dermaroller (+six months ago). My skin just got this radiant and healthy glow i really like!

I think this whole dermarolling mechanism is a interesting thing and i wish i knew more about it

The information on your site about this is a little bit superficial (which is logical, because if explained exactly how it worked, it would be a very long piece and most people don't want to read that)

But I was wondering.. Can you recommend me a good site (or pdf maybe?) where they explain more about the dermarolling principle?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 10:22:20 AM »