Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Taking arnica to reduce bruising from single needling?  (Read 6706 times)

Alison

Taking arnica to reduce bruising from single needling?
« on: May 04, 2012, 06:07:59 PM »
I just started using a dermaroller and single needle for my stretch marks a couple months ago. I have only used the single needle on the stretch marks on my upper thigh once so far and significant bruising occurred afterward. I don't really care about the bruising (if I'm the only one that can see it) because I understand that the bruising is part of the body healing itself and I'm glad the needle is getting far enough down into the dermis to cause such an effect. It has been about 4 to 5 weeks since my first single needle treatment and I would like to do another treatment now; however, there might be a time in the next month or so that I could be getting into a bathing suit and I would not want others to see any bruising on my legs. Also, the bruising from the first session is still there, but it is very faint. I'm guessing the bruising has lingered this long because I have poor circulation in my legs.

I know there is the toothpick method of shortening the single needle, but I do not want to make the needle shorter, as I want it to get as far down as it can. Instead, I would just like the bruising to go away faster. To make this happen, do you think it would be okay to take a supplement such as arnica? I have never taken it before, but I have heard that it works for bruising. I was wondering if taking it would affect the healing process in a negative way.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 02:36:58 PM »
If you email me your name and address, I will instruct our dispatch center to send you shorter needles. We have a few shorter ones.

Some of our customers wrote us that our single needles are too short and some that they are too long..

To speed up the diminishing of bruises, you can try a cream/gel containing heparin. It is for sale OTC in pharmacies. Never apply it right after dermarolling/needling. Wait at least one day.

Alison

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 06:15:29 PM »
Thank you for offering to send me shorter needles. I am going to try using the regular needle length again to see how it goes, and I will let you know.

I will try getting the heparin gel OTC. Hopefully they offer that in the United States.

If I do use the heparin gel one or two days after I use the single needle, do you think it will negatively affect the healing process of the skin? If so, I would not want to use it.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 11:23:53 AM »
Heprarin is an anti-inflammatory but the need to avoid strong anti-inflammatories only applies right after dermarolling, especially with long needles. Topical heparin should never be applied right after dermarolling anyway because it is an anticoagulant and it should not get into the bloodstream. Topical heparin is used on varicose veins, ulcers, sprains, accidents and injuries, to soften tough scars, to speed up diminishing of oedemas and bruises etc.