Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Dermarolling session duration  (Read 8439 times)

altomiro7127

Dermarolling session duration
« on: July 02, 2012, 05:00:45 PM »
Dear Sarah,

today finally I started using my 0,2 mm dermaroller purchased from your website.
I wanna start from the lightest one and then move up gradually till the 1.5 mm.
My question is: I followed your instructions which say that you have to roll horizontally and vertically avoiding the star pattern.
Although i do not know for how long we should roll on one area (for example how long on the forehead, on the chin etc..)
I got red pretty fast so I rolled only for 2-3 minutes. Would it be enough?

Thank you so much
Alessandra

« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 05:33:24 PM by SarahVaughter »

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Re: Dermarolling duration session
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 05:37:08 PM »
You should roll the area about ten times vertically and ten times horizontally. This is just a general rule that can be adjusted to your preferences and the reaction of your skin.

The exact recommended rolling technique is descripbed in our instructions. You can roll a single "time" horizontally and a single "time" vertically if you space the roller each time a few mm apart, as described in our latest dermarolling instructions.

The longer the needles, the more careful you have to be, especially if you roll the face- roll slowly and thoroughly.

Rolling the face for two to three minutes with a 0.2 mm size is enough.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 10:07:28 AM by SarahVaughter »

cj123

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 11:29:03 PM »
I have been using the star pattern since I started rolling. I don't remember reading to avoid the star pattern. Is using this pattern bad for the skin?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 10:05:16 AM »
We have explained this in our latest instructions:

Rolling in a star pattern is not recommended any more.
We, like every other dermaroller vendor, used to advise to roll in a star pattern. However, we
determined that that is not the optimal technique because if you roll in a star pattern, the center of
the pattern gets a much greater prick density than the perifery. A perfectly uniform prick density
can only be achieved when you roll at straight angles, such as only horizontally, or only vertically,
or both.

Rolling back-and-forth without lifting the roller is not recommended anymore.
We discovered that the way nearly everybody rolls is responsible for the infamous "scratches"
effect, caused by an extreme prick density distributed over narrow "bands", as shown on page 11. If
you do not lift the roller after each rolling movement but keep the roller head's needles inside the
skin, then the roller will resist sideways movements because there are always needles in the skin,
producing a "railway" effect of a train on a track. Then when you move a few times back & forth,
you'll hit the same pricks again and again, causing a locally too high prick density or larger-diameter
pricks in the skin. Both are undesirable effects.

The only correct way to roll, achieving a perfectly distributed prick density is to roll horizontally, and
after every roll, lift the roller and position it a few millimeters from the previous starting point,
repeating the rolling movement and so on, until the entire skin area has been treated.
If you want
to increase the prick density, repeat this process under a ninety degree angle as shown on the next
page.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 12:50:14 PM by SarahVaughter »

cj123

• Forum member
Re: Dermarolling session duration
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 10:39:27 PM »
Thanks for your reply Sarah. Rolling vertically and horizontally is actually easier than the angle required in the star pattern.

altomiro7127

Re: Dermarolling session duration
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 09:54:47 AM »
Thanks Sarah for ur answer.

I have another question: I have some loose skin on my arms and I would like to try to roll to improve the situation.

Could you please advice what type of roller to use and for how many minutes?

Thanks