Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Dermarolling and dry cupping  (Read 8960 times)

finnroller

Dermarolling and dry cupping
« on: July 04, 2012, 05:04:44 AM »
I have rolled my thigh area twice with 2 mm long needles having about a month in between treatments. Is the needle length appropriate or should I go with shorter needle and perhaps shorter frequency? After last treatment I have also strated dry cupping thigh skin on a daily basis. However, the loose skin and cellulite situation seem to get worse! Skin seems to be swollen upu and is sensitive to touch. Is dry cupping somehow interfering with formation of new collagen and perhaps even tearing it up? Should I quit dry cupping altogether or just wait for some weeks after dermarolling? This is dramatic since I now have granny-type skin on back of my thighs and I am only 44 years old. Some insight is certainly needed  :-[ :-\!

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Re: Dermarolling and dry cupping
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 02:12:55 PM »
Dry cupping does not interfere with collagen production but you should perhaps stop doing it because it obviously does not work in your case. How is the situation now? Continue with your rolling sessions and try to tone the muscles in that area. Cellulite has nothing to do with muscles but it always look better on a toned body:

https://http://owndoc.com/dermarolling/what-to-do-about-cellulite/

finnroller

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 03:54:35 AM »
Thankyou for your answer  Sarah! I have stopped dry cupping now, at least temporarily, and swelling has disappeared. I am going to continue dermarolling the thigh area on a monthly basis. Since I have only done it twice, effects remain to be seen. I have however dermarolled strechmarks on my breasts for a longer period and situation has certainly improved  :) I am looking forward same thing happening to my thighs, although there are fewer stretchmarks on that area and the main problem is loose and kind of wrinkly skin despite all exercise. I have rather much muscle tone but have sunbathed excessively during my younger days and problems might be due to that. Is there any advice regarding using vitamin creams on my thighs, especially concerning strength and application intervals? Should I try roller with more than 2 mm needles? I am grateful for any advice  8)

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 06:28:26 PM »
If your skin is sun-damaged, you can try Tretinoin (Retinoic acid) cream (we sell it). Initially, it makes skin dry and the dryness makes wrinkling temporarily more visible but the skin gets used to Tretinoin and long term, it improves the appearance of wrinkling.

There are even studies claiming that Retinol (Retinol is metabolized to Retinoic acid in the skin) improved cellulite but I am not sure how effective this is in reality.

No, do not use needles longer than 2 mm. Skin is not any thicker than that, except for certain special areas such as foot soles A 2 mm dermaroller penetrates about 1.8 mm to the skin.

Topical retinol improves cellulite

1999, Vol. 10, No. 2 , Pages 119-125

Am Kligman, A Pagnoni and T Stoudemayer
University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine, Department of Dermatology, Philadelphia, PA, 19104, USA

A group of 20 women with moderate cellulite of the thighs were treated twice daily on one side for 6 months with a 0.3% stabilized retinol cream while the opposite side was treated with the vehicle, following a double-blind format. Objective measurements included ultrasound measurement of thickness using a 20 MHz B-scan, and laser Doppler velocimetry for blood flow. The panelists and a dermatologist estimated the degree of improvement on a global scale. Of 19 subjects, 13 rated the retinol side as more improved, 7 registering good effects. The dermatologist's estimates were largely congruent with those of the subjects. There was also a marked reduction in the density of hypoechogenic areas on the retinol sides, from 53% to 18% of black pixels on image analysis. Blood flow measurements were unchanged on the vehicle sides but increased significantly on the retinol sides. Thickness measurements by ultrasound scan were unchanged on the vehicle sides but increased significantly on the retinol sides, from 1.44 to 1.60 mm. Retinol may be viewed as a prodrug which the skin metabolizes to retinoic acid. The beneficial effects of retinol are consistent with previous reports of increased synthesis of glycosaminoglycans and collagen.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 06:42:07 PM by SarahVaughter »