Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: PI Hypopigmentation on my face from Mederma scar Gel!!!  (Read 10422 times)

Bond 007

PI Hypopigmentation on my face from Mederma scar Gel!!!
« on: August 09, 2012, 06:18:08 PM »
Hi Sarah,

I'm 28 years old Caucasian with blond hair. I used Mederma Scar Gel on my nose and I got some mild PI hypopigmentation on my nose, around the nose and my upper lip (where ever I touched my face). Actually one of the side effects of the cream is skin discoloration! Luckily is not that noticeable because I'm white but it really bothers me specially because I live by the beach and I'm concern that this areas won't tan! It's been almost 5 months since then with no improvement at all. On a couple of places the discoloration has fine borders and the rest kind of blends with the other skin (because it has no borders, it's just whiter). I went to a dermatologist few months ago he gave me some cortisone cream and he said it should go away however still looks the same :( What do you think how deep and bad is the hypopigmentation? I did a lot of research and looks like dermarolling is the best and safest way to repigment the affected areas so I need your opinion and advice on what to order from you and how ti use it???

Looking forward to hear from you.

Thank you!!!

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Re: PI Hypopigmentation on my face from Mederma scar Gel!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 06:08:01 PM »
I am surprised Mederma caused hypopigmentation.

Skin pigment (melanin) is produced by melanocyte cells. They are at the bottom of the epidermis which is only about 0.1 - 0.3 mm deep in the skin.

When they produce too much melanin in certain area, you get hyperpigmentation, when they do not produce enough or are destroyed or
damaged, you get hypopigmentation.

You can try stamping your areas three times a week with a 0.5 mm dermastamp.

Microneedling often triggers new melanocytes or it "wakes them up" but it is not always successful.  After a month or so of stamping, expose your face to the sun. Melanoctes produce melanin upon sun exposure.

Bond 007

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 12:51:12 PM »
Thank you for your respond Sarah, I'll definitely try. I just have few more questions for you before I get started:

1. Should I stamp only the hypopigmented areas or go around as well?
2. Should I use any cream, oil... pre-stamping? I'll get the Infadolan for after rolling-stamping.
3.Should I use any cream like A-Ret 0.025 for evening out the skin ton, or that's more effective for hyperpigmentation?
4. And last, I was thinking more of rolling my face with 0.5 dermaroller because of the fact that I might get lucky and transfer some melanocytes, or you think I better stick to the dermastamp?

Thank you for your time, and I apologize for the number of questions!!!

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 06:20:14 PM »
You should stamp the hyppigmented areas and slightly outside of the
hyopigmented borders to facilitate the migration of melanocytes from the
surrounding area into the hypopigmented patch.

No, you do not have to prepare your skin in any way for stamping.

A-Ret is more successful for hyperpigmentation. Some substances such as Bimatoprost allegedly help to trigger pigmentation but I have never heard from our customers about their experience in that regard. Some of this forum postings contain some tips:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/melanocytes-transfer-for-white-scars-and-hypopigmentation

Yes, you can use a 0.5 mm dermaroller.

Consider buying a NB-UVB lamp.
More about it in my reply #13 in this forum thread:
https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/hypopigmentation-on-chest-before-and-after-needling/

« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 11:52:35 AM by SarahVaughter »