Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Dermaroller treatment questions  (Read 19364 times)

roller

Dermaroller treatment questions
« on: August 22, 2012, 03:30:58 PM »
Hello,

I´ve got some questions about the treatment:

1) I don´t have time for dry brushing and s o. My plan is:

- applying 2 nights the vitamin C serum before rolling
   - shower, disinfect and apply numbing cream to the area
   - disinfect and rolling
   - after rolling I apply Infadolan (maybe the next 2 days also)
   - then I wait 1 month and do the same process again (1,5 mm)

Is this treatment ok?

2) I wonder, if I can put my clothes on right after the rolling? I think there is maybe a risk of an infection or does the Infadolan cover the skin?

3) When can I expose the needled skin to sunlight again? How long does it take to heal before going to swim and doing sports again?

4) Could I do the single needling on a scar, that is directly on the lips?

5) Should I really use dishwashing liquid to clean the roller? I have worries that there could be some liquid left next time I roll.

6) Do I have to disinfect the roller before 1´st time or can I use it right out of the box?

7) As I am male: Do I have to shave haired body areas before rolling?

Thank´s for your answers!

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 11:30:35 AM by roller »

roller

Re: Dermaroller treatment questions
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 02:47:59 PM »
8) And How long does the numbing cream and vitamin c stay fresh?

Thank´s

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 06:35:35 PM »
>1)

I don´t have time for dry brushing and s o. My plan is:
>- applying 2 nights the vitamin C serum before rolling
>- shower, disinfect and apply numbing cream to the area
>- disinfect and rolling
>- after rolling I apply Infadolan (maybe the next 2 days also)
>- then I wait 1 month and do the same process again (1,5 mm)
>Is this treatment ok?

Yes, it is OK. I do not think you will necessarily need a numbing cream. Some areas are more painful to roll but rolling on the body is usually bearable without a numbing cream. 

>2) I wonder, if I can put my clothes on right after the rolling? I think there is maybe a risk of
>an infection or does the Infadolan cover the skin?

You can put your clothes on right after dermarolling but preferably freshly washed clothes, especially if you roll with long needles.

>3) When can I expose the needled skin to sunlight again? How long does it take to heal before
>going to swim and doing sports again?

If you can, avoid the sun for a couple of days after dermarolling (cover it with clothes when you go outside). Use a sunscreen if the rolled skin is exposed to the sun ( for about five days and even longer after an aggressive single needling.
If you rolled the face, use a sunscreen for at least a week.

Swimming:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/swimming-and-dermarolling

Sports:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/not-advisable-do-sports-after-dermarolling

>4) Could I do the single needling on a scar, that is directly on the lips?

Yes, but carefully and gently. No aggressive needling. This area will be very painful to needle. You may need a numbing cream.

>5) Should I really use dishwashing liquid to clean the roller? I have worries that there could >be some liquid left next time I roll.
>6) Do I have to disinfect the roller before 1´st time or can I use it right out of the box?

Both the questions are answered here:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/Do-you-need-to-sterilise-before-first-use

>7) As I am male: Do I have to shave haired body areas before rolling?

No.

>And How long does the numbing cream and vitamin c stay fresh?

Vit.C:

https://http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/vitamin-c-how-long-do-the-crystals-last

The numbing cream will last many years, if unopened. If opened, it may slightly loses its efficacy.

roller

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 04:17:37 PM »
Thank´s for your answer!

I did the needling today.

I got quite a lot of bleeding-points, but I think that´s normal. I put some alcohol on the bleeding and put my clothes on. I´m still a little bit worried by the risk of an infection.

Is it ok to clean the rolled area with alcohol again befor putting clothes on?

The stretch marks are getting swollen. Is that normal? Looks like pimples but has the same colour as the stretch marks.

I soaked the roller the whole night in alcohol. (forget about it) Can this harm the roller?

A question for single needling:

I don´t understand why this is better than rolling? I can roll a stretch mark from many directions, so that there is the same amount of "wholes" as with one single needling.

Thank´s
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 09:36:27 AM by roller »

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 05:40:52 PM »
Everything you describe is completely normal after needling. The stretch marks do get swollen and red.

You should not worry too much about infection. None of our customers have ever reported an infection (one customer got a bad reaction on one cheek after rolling her whole face but I am not even sure whether it was an infection or just a reaction and in any case, it was gone in a couple of days without any problems), neither you can find much about dermarolling infections on the Internet in spite of the fact that tens of thousands of people are home-rolling or having dermarolling treatments nowadays.

Yes you can clean the skin with alcohol after rolling/needling if you want to.
Overnight soaking will not harm the roller but do not soak it overnight routinely because alcohol could dissolve/loosen some parts of the roller.

Needling is a much more targeted treatment and it is more successful in crushing hardened collagen bundles that are present in many stretch marks, surgical, accident and some other scars. Needling also goes deeper.

roller

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 01:45:55 PM »
Thank´s for your answer!

Can I also roll the armpits? (Because some stretchmarks start over the armpit and go through)

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 02:35:59 PM »
Sure you can.

purple_buttefly

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 04:57:39 PM »
Thank´s for your answer!

Can I also roll the armpits? (Because some stretchmarks start over the armpit and go through)

I've done this :)  Sarah I seem to remember you mentioning a cream to help heal bruising in another thread but I can't seem to find it, can you possibly tell me what its called?  I single needled my arms over a week ago and there's still quite a bit of severe bruising there.

roller

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 03:27:35 PM »
I´ve just finished a rolling session and tried to clean the roller according to your pdf, but there is still blood on some needles that won´t go away.

Can I use a toothbrush to clean the needles on the roller? (a new one)

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 05:43:48 PM »
Yes you can use a toothbrush, but the discoloration caused by the blood is nothing to worry about because it's a molecularly thin layer of "paint" made of the hemoglobin in the blood. Since Hemoglobin is an iron compound, it can react with steel and discolor it. The discoloration does not mean there is bacterial contamination.

If there is some blood visible on the plastic then using a toothbrush is a good idea.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 06:08:17 PM »
To Purple Butterfly :

90 % of the customers who got bruising after single needling (there were not many), got them after needling the stretch marks on the upper arms. This area seems to have very thin skin and it is perhaps better to use a 1.5 mm dermastamp, because the single needle goes even deeper.

It is an OTC cream containing heparin. Do not apply it right after dermarolling or needling. You can start applying a day after.

purple_buttefly

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 08:12:08 AM »
Thank you. :)

Jesse

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 01:57:05 PM »
>7) As I am male: Do I have to shave haired body areas before rolling?

No.

Won't the needles become damaged or blunt much faster if the skin you're rolling is not shaved?

Why is it not necessary to shave that area of the body on which you want to use the dermaroller?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 09:06:42 AM »
Sorry for the delayed answer.

The reason is both one of physics and one of statistics (mathematics).

The roller needles will not go through the hairs because the hair, being cyllindrical in shape and not firmly fastened to the substrate (the skin), will move out of the way when the needle hits it.

And even if the needle would piece the hair's keratin, the difference between penetrating the hair and the skin (the skin is tough) is very small so even if some of the needles would penetrate it sometimes, it would make very marginal difference. The top layer of the skin is made of Keratin and the hair is made of the same substance, so all in all, since steel is harder than Keratin, there is no significant extra blunting to be expected.