Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Thickness of the epidermis and rolling frequency  (Read 14052 times)

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Thickness of the epidermis and rolling frequency
« on: February 25, 2010, 10:35:33 AM »
>If you are rolling with a 0.5 roller on thin skin that are enable to

>reach the dermis, is it really correct to roll once a week then? will

>it not disrupt the collagen production and the whole process? I don't

>want to roll and roll and don't see any results just because i

>"destroy" the collagen process, so should I keep roll with one week

>rest or should I add 2-3 weeks before my new rolling session?

A dermaroller with 0.5 mm long needles penetrates only about 0.3 mm into the skin. It doesn't really reach the dermis and that's why it heals very quickly and you can roll once a week.  0.5 mm will improve the texture of the epidermis and is very good for product penetration.

The thickness of the epidermis depends on where on the body the skin is. The epidermis on the eyelids is about 0.05 mm thick. The epidermis on the foot soles is about 1.5 mm thick. The face has on average about a 0.1 to 0.3 mm thick epidermis. Males have thicker skin than females.

Anne

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 10:01:38 PM »
Hello Sarah,

I've been reading the information on your site with great interest, particularly the items pertaining to needle length and frequency. I'm experimenting with  using a roller several times a week for product penetration only on various areas on my body, and remain troubled by the question of needle length in the back-thigh and buttock area.

A 0.2 roller seems inadequate, and a 0.5 roller subjectively "feels" better and seems to give good product penetration without any particular inflammation -- but am I overdoing it to use the 0.5 on this part of my body in the same way and with the same frequency that I use the 0.2 on my face?  Or is my perception that this skin is thick enough to justify-- and even to require -- the 0.5 roller simply caused by the fat layer in this area? (I'm not overweight, but even so...)

Thank you very much for your reply -- and for all the fine work that has made this site the resource that it is!

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 05:47:26 PM »
Hi Anne,

The skin consists of 3 main layers: The epidermis, the dermis (which contains mainly collagen and elastic fibre) and subcutaneous tissue. Subcutaneous tissue contains mainly fat and in it are veins, arteries and nerves etc. A dermaroller should not go deeper than the dermis.

There are some cappilary veins (tiny bloodvessels) in the dermis so you might get some pinpoint bleeding with a roller with long needles and that is not a problem. But pinpoint bleeding should be the limit. Don't go any deeper.

dermarolling for skin care product penetration doesn't need to reach the dermis. Merely the epidermis or even just the top part of epidermis should be punctured. That's enough for the product to penetrate.

The skin on the thigh- and buttock area is thicker than facial skin, so rolling with 0.5 mm in those areas is a good idea although even a 0.2 mm would do the job.  You can first apply the product and roll it in or roll first and then apply the product.

Anne

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 06:45:21 PM »
Thanks, Sarah.

I was hoping you'd say that!

Katarina

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 09:38:49 AM »
Can I use a 1.5mm on my body with a cream for penetration instead of using perhaps a .25mm?

Katarina

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 09:41:32 AM »
SarahVaughter;131 wrote: >If you are rolling with a 0.5 roller on thin skin that are enable to

>reach the dermis, is it really correct to roll once a week then? will

>it not disrupt the collagen production and the whole process? I don't

>want to roll and roll and don't see any results just because i

>"destroy" the collagen process, so should I keep roll with one week

>rest or should I add 2-3 weeks before my new rolling session?

A dermaroller with 0.5 mm long needles penetrates only about 0.3 mm into the skin. It doesn't really reach the dermis and that's why it heals very quickly and you can roll once a week.  0.5 mm will improve the texture of the epidermis and is very good for product penetration.

The thickness of the epidermis depends on where on the body the skin is. The epidermis on the eyelids is about 0.05 mm thick. The epidermis on the foot soles is about 1.5 mm thick. The face has on average about a 0.1 to 0.3 mm thick epidermis. Males have thicker skin than females.

Sarah, on another thread you mentioned using either a .2 or .25 a few times a week for cream penetration, here you mention using a .5 once a week, which method is better?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 03:57:11 PM »
None of it is better or worse, really. You should do what is doable, convenient and pleasant for you. Usually people use 0.20 or 0.25 on their face up to three times a week and 0.5 on the body (for cellulite etc.) All of those needle lengths used for skin product penetration enhancement.

I also think people should stick with a routine that suits them, one they can make the time for. Dermarolling should not become some kind of unpleasant duty. Not everybody has sufficient time or energy to roll three times a week for product penetration.  Which shouldn't be a problem. Just roll once a week or even once in 2 weeks. Whatever is comfortable for you. Better to roll every week for a year or more, than several times a week and you'll give up after a month or two because it has become too much of a drag.