Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: vit c lotion could have darkened my skin?  (Read 7466 times)

jacqui96

vit c lotion could have darkened my skin?
« on: October 05, 2012, 10:38:34 PM »
Hi Sarah

I have been using the Vit C nightly on my face, neck and hands for a few weeks now and I notice that my skin has become very dark. I am natrually pale skinned and this is quite noticeable. I keep my Vit C in the fridge in the dark bottle I purchased from you and mixed it accoring to your instructions. I don't use it during the day and I always use an spf 30 on my face. Any advice on how to prevent this?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 03:05:31 PM by SarahVaughter »

jacqui96

Re: vit c lotion
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 10:48:43 PM »
Hi Sarah

I just submitted the original post but in reading through some info here I think the problem may be that i am using it too frequently. Do you think cutting back to twice a week application should stop the darkening?

Peggotty

Re: vit c lotion
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 11:43:57 AM »
Not Sarah, but from what I understand Vitamin C remains in your system and continues working for up to 72 hours.  I use it every 48 hours myself.

Are you mixing up a new batch daily or every couple of days?  Want to make sure it is fresh. Since I use it every other day (do my entire body), I mix up just enough, since I use the basic recipe and don't add anything to preserve it longer.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Re: vit c lotion could have darkened my skin?
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 05:37:20 PM »
Vit. C is a mild skin lightener, since vit. C is tyrosinase inhibitor (not a very strong one). Tyrosinase is the enzyme that converts tyrosine to melanin (skin pigment).

However not everybody reacts the same. You should reduce the application and dilute it with more water. Wash it off your face in the morning.

A double-blind randomized trial of 5% ascorbic acid vs. 4% hydroquinone in melasma
Liliana Elizabeth Espinal-Perez MD, Benjamin Moncada MD*,

Abstract
Background Melasma is an acquired treatment-resistant hyperpigmentation of the skin.

Methods Sixteen women with idiopathic melasma were included in our trial.
After randomization by another clinician, they were instructed to use, at night, 5% ascorbic acid cream on one side of the face and 4% hydroquinone cream on the other side, for 16 weeks. Sunscreen was applied daily throughout the period of observation. They were evaluated every month by colorimetry, digital photography, and regular color slides. Subjective evaluation by each patient was also taken into account.

Results The best subjective improvement was observed on the hydroquinone side with 93% good and excellent results, compared with 62.5% on the ascorbic acid side (P < 0.05); however, colorimetric measures showed no statistical differences. Side-effects were present in 68.7% (11/16) with hydroquinone vs. 6.2% (1/16) with ascorbic acid.

Conclusion Although hydroquinone showed a better response, ascorbic acid may play a role in the therapy of melasma as it is almost devoid of side-effects; it could be used alone or in combination therapy.