Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Manuka Honey Aftercare?  (Read 9036 times)

Clairebear

Manuka Honey Aftercare?
« on: December 08, 2012, 03:08:19 PM »
Hi Sarah! As soon as the single needles come in stock, I'm planning to order those, a 1.5 dermastamp, and a suction device to treat a few rolling scars and 3 boxcar scars. My cystic acne is mostly under control, but I'm still nervous about making sure to choose aftercare products that could break me out. Would keeping manuka honey on the area after needling work well? I mask with it regularly, and my skin responds well to it. I work at home, so having honey on my face all day is not a big deal. ;)
I also make vitamin C serum with the powder and water and plan to use that. I've used several retinol products over the course of my 20-year acne battle and have never responded very well to them (even though it's supposed to be so great for acne, and probably is for most people) so I would like to leave those out if possible.
Also, it's my understanding that the suction device is for rolling scars but not boxcars. Is that right?
I really appreciate your thoughts. 

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Re: Manuka Honey Aftercare?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 06:11:14 AM »
"Officially" only the rolling type of acne scars are tethered to the underlying structures but I also recommend suctioning for stubborn boxcar scars that has not improved after about one year of microneedling. It is worth trying.

I do not think applying sugary products to the freshly rolled skin is a good idea.  Honey has trace amounts of minerals and vitamins (but sometimes also of pesticides) and other substances but its main content is glucose and fructose. That may be soothing to the intact skin but I would not apply it after rolling. Honey is poison, basically, in a way. The reason sugar has been used for thousands of years to preserve foods (jams, honey etc.) is that it kills bacteria and fungi. Sugars are very, very harmful to our organism, that is why people's legs need to be amputated etc. when they get diabetes that gets out of control. Sugar is so harmful to cells and organs (tissue damage through glycation) that we would die in hours after ingesting it, if it weren't for our insulin glands. I would not rub concentrated sugars into open skin, for lack of knowledge what would happen (but likely, bad things would happen..)

You can already order a dermastamp and the suction pump now because our shipping fees are based on weight so it will not cost you significantly more if you order the needles later.

You do not have to use retinoid products.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 11:41:59 AM by SarahVaughter »

Clairebear

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 02:27:48 PM »
Thanks so much for your reply. So so there is a product you recommend for immediately after stamping that would be least likely to cause breakouts in the acne prone? Infadolan sounds risky in that regard.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 10:46:19 AM »
I tend not to advise a specific dermarolling aftercare product for acne-prone individuals because what causes breakouts in one, does not cause breakouts in the other and vice versa so I prefer that acne-prone people use products they know from their own experience.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 12:39:52 PM by SarahVaughter »