Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Electric needling device caused me scars  (Read 7739 times)

jbh

• Forum member
Electric needling device caused me scars
« on: December 20, 2012, 11:37:39 AM »
 >:(Hi
I have posted on this board before after having some success with my hypopigmentation after laser tattoo removal (only white skin, not surface scar tissue) after a professional needling treatment with an electric machine. I since moved to a new area and found a licensed esthetician and RN who was trained to do needling. Unfortunately she was too aggressive and I scarred. Here is  a picture immediately after the procedure. Then  about 6 weeks later. The reddened areas are actual scar tissue although difficult to see due to the lighting in the picture. I also have needle marks (indentations) where she was moving the tool vertically on my skin. I believe she went over the same areas too much, causing the skin to tear? I do not know, but know she was way too aggressive. I am devastated but want to know is and when I can start needling (this time by myself) the scar tissue. Ironically the needling caused the scar tissue but hope that re-needling it should help it. I dont know what to do but very sad. The worst part is she is blaming me, saying I caused the scarring. I took very good care of the area afterwards and she was irresponsible.
I am not trying to scare anyone, because I do believe in needling. But needling with an electric machine is more intense and dont want this to happen to anyone else.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 01:54:19 PM by SarahVaughter »

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Re: Electric needling device caused me scars
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 02:00:46 PM »
I will add to this later, but let me start by saying that I warn against any form of dermaneedling by an electrical device. These warnings appear in various places on our website, including our dermaneedling instructions.

Due to inherent design limitations that are impossible to avoid, those devices cause lateral tearing of the skin. We explain in detail why the skin tears when using electrical needling devices, and not when using hand-operated devices here:

https://http://owndoc.com/dermarolling/dermapen-causes-skin-micro-tearing/

Dr. Des Fernandez, inventor of the dermaroller, said:

"However, we have to realize that if one did the deeper needling at the density of a tattoo, then the skin would be scarificed, and sure one would get a lot of collagen (in the form of scar tissue) and not a restoration of the complex elastin and collagen network which we aim to achieve with needling. However, deeper scars need greater penetration with the needle… …Even if the extra needling is done by hand with a single needle, this is well worthwhile doing".

Could you please upload a better picture of the scars? The current one is blurred.

I suggest using a 1.5 mm dermastamp but first try it several times on one of your spots to see what happens.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 09:29:53 AM by SarahVaughter »

jbh

• Forum member
Re: Electric needling device caused me scars
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 10:17:04 AM »
Sarah-
I understand this forum is to promote and educate consumers about your products and doing it in a safe way. I have been using your products and will continue to buy them because they have not caused me any problems.
I do not know anything about Dermapen except what I read on this site. Many paramedical tattooists and plastic surgeons who are making referrals to paramedical tattooists (to treat scars, wrinkles, etc) are advocating the use of electric machines along with dermarolling. Why are they advertising that it does not cause damage to the skin? I am living proof that electric devices can cause tearing and scarring.
Maybe if I need support I need to go to Makemeheal.com, as I feel incredibly alone in this process and know it was not something I caused. I checked this persons credentials, made sure she was trained, and also a registered nurse. No one should ever attempt to do electric needling on their own, and neither with a professional. My results are evidence of that. Although my skin has significantly gotten better (aside from the shiny scar tissue left behind in certain spots and linear needle marks) my hope is that dermastamping or single needling will help improve that.
With dermarolling I have never had skin look like it does in the picture I uploaded.