Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Should vitamin c diy serum be at 20% concentration  (Read 9625 times)

annie71

• Forum member
Should vitamin c diy serum be at 20% concentration
« on: January 05, 2013, 10:13:42 AM »
I noticed in the instructions for making up a vitamin c solution for the face the instructions were for a 5% solution.  The 2001 et al Dinnel study said that the vitamin c applied to the face should be at 20% for maximum absorption.  I was therefore wondering why you recommend only 5%?  Is this because 20% can be too irritating for many?

If my skin can tolerate higher than a 5% concentration would I benefit in applying a higher concentration?  Or does it not matter?  Sorry a bit confused.  Many thanks in advance

thehalokid

• Forum member
Re: Should vitamin c diy serum be at 20% concentration
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 01:53:51 PM »
Im no expert but ill chime in! :)

I believe its cause of skin sensitivity- not a good idea to jump straight in with a 20% solution (I can testify to that)

while 20% may be the optimum for 'maximum absorption in reality thats gonna sting if its ur 1st time applying, also I would  Imagine the fact you have dermarolled prior to application is in some way going to impact absorption greatly.

Also (someone correct me if im wrong) but i believe the minimum the solution needs to be is 10% to get benefits, of course working your way up to what your skin can handle (as long as it not over above 20%)

Hope this helps.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 05:51:02 AM »
The tissue levels were maximal at 20% concentration but the tissue levels are significant at 5% as well and this concentration is less irritating and less sticky. Also, to help prevent sun damage, it is more important to apply a lower concentration  regularly instead of a high concentration occasionally. (vit. C helps prevent sun damage.) Use any concentration up to 20% if your skin can handle it. The higher the concentration, the more benefits, with the optimal skin concentration reached at 20%. But 5% still is very good.

There is a sentence in our dermarolling instructions:

"If the vit. C serum is too irritating to your skin, add more water. If your skin shows no irritation you can add more vit. C powder to your container."

Attachment from https://http://www.owndoc.com/pdf/vit-c-percutaneous-absorption.pdf
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 10:29:21 AM by SarahVaughter »

annie71

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 11:32:59 AM »
Thank you for the helpful reply