Derminator

Please only post questions when you could not find the answer searching this forum or our instructions. Pre-and post-sales questions about our products only. Thank you!

Author Topic: Dermarolling penile scar  (Read 21204 times)

Ian

• Forum member
Dermarolling penile scar
« on: March 25, 2013, 09:33:15 PM »
Hello Sarah. I have some questions regarding safety of micro needling penis/ penile skin. I was not able to find any information online about wether its safe or not to use dermaroller on penis to improve penile skin discoloration and minor white scars that occured from infected ingrown hair. Nor I was able to find out info about the depth of penile skin itself. I have been already using few times 0,5mm dermaroller on my penis for my discoloration/scars. My concern is wether there is a danger to somehow injure penis due to dermarolling with too long needles/ doing it too often? I would like to find out answers to following questions:

1. Is 0,5 mm dermaroller safe to use on penis? If yes then how often/ max dermorolling should be performed? Does 0,5 mm dermaroller needles penetrate all the way through penile skin into inner penile shaft if penis is flaccid and penile skin is stretched during dermarolling?

2. Is there some danger to use 0,5mm-1mm dermaroller on penis and cause some deep scar formation/ permanent (erection) injury due to too deep needle penetration into penis itself? (For example needle penetration into urethra/nerves/ Buck's fascia/ Tunica albuginea especially on the back of the penis where skin is even more thinner).

I will greatly appreciate your feedback on this. Since this topic has not been covered on your forum at all. And there is very little info available regarding safety of dermarolling penile skin.

Thank you in advance.

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
Re: Dermarolling penile scar
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 04:58:41 PM »
Concerning the fact that it is possible to get a tattoo there, you can use a dermaroller as well but just to remain on the safe side, do not use longer needles than 0.5 mm and do not push them really forcefully in. Rolling twice a week is sufficient. With longer needles, the dangers you describe are a factor.

I normally experiment on my own skin when I am in doubt, but in this case I can't do that. My husband just refused to even measure the thickness of his skin there, he says the whole dermarolling thing is my project and he wants nothing to do with it :-)

Ian

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 09:09:27 PM »
Hi Sarah.

Thank you very much for your reply.  ;) According to all dermaroller user instructions it's safe to use device all around the body. Assuming that penile skin is not an exception of this. Of course with the proper needle length (max 0,5mm).

I will be very interested to find more information regarding penile skin dermarolling in general. Unfortunately there is almost no publication regarding this topic. I assume that dermarolling penis is beneficial, considering that penile skin and even inner structural parts of penis are more or less collagen and elastin. I wonder if regular dermarolling can improve for example Peyronie's desease (formation of scar tissue under penile skin of unknown reason/ due to trauma)? What is your view on that? Will dermaroller with 1,0mm or longer (1,5mm max) needle length improve in theory existing inner penile scar tissue or will it create even more new scar tissue? In other words does elastin fibers for example benefit from dermarolling or does dermaroller needling create irreversible damage/ more scar tissue formation over time? I guess what I'm trying to find out is wether dermarolling penis in general beneficial for regeneration of penile cells (skin and possible inner layers that consists of collagen and elastin) or does dermaroller create abnormal regeneration in form of scar tissue? The most important question that Im trying to find the answer for is wether dermarolling with longer needles (1,0-1,5mm max) can in theory regenerate and improve inner penile cells due to already existing penile trauma in form of tear or scar formation? Like in case of Peyronie's deseace or in penile fracture case? I will greatly appreciate your reply on this broader topic regarding regeneration of inner penile layers with dermaroller. Below you can find explanation of structural layer composition of penis:

The Structure of the  Penile Sheath

The layers of the penis from the outside in are the:

1. epidermis
2. dermis
3. Superficial fascia [a.k.a. loose areolar [small pigmented circular layer] (loose connective tissue connected to the dermis which enables the extraordinary mobility of the penile skin -- which is also intimately connected with the Dartos-Peripenic muscle layer and most superficial veins).
4. Fascia penis (condensed connective tissue which surrounds both the corpora cavernosa and corpora spongiosum, separates the superficial veins from the deep veins, joins the tunica albuginea [a strong very elastic, white fibrous coat, forming a sheath] at the sulcus).
5. Tunica albuginea (very dense connective tissue that is almost pure collagen, surrounds each corpus cavernosum penis and therefore also forms the median septum, provides strength against over-inflation [e.g. re-enforced garden hose] and therefore determines maximum penile size).
6. From there in, it is the erectile core, the corpus cavernosa penis. ( see "The Frenular Delta" by Ken McGrath, 1997)

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 05:14:42 PM »
You can dermaroll skin but not the mucous membrane and a part of the penis (such as the glans) is mucous membrane.

My opinion on this is that using long needles and risking some kind of potential injury to its dense nerve endings and vascularisation is not worth it. You can experiment at your own risk of course.

If you have inner scar tissue, I think you should consult a surgeon.

nidu

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 06:34:31 AM »
Hello Sarah,

I too wonder about needling penile scars. I notice here you suggest a needle length of at most 0.5 mm. What is the reasoning behind this? I'm interested in single-needling, and I note that you sell single needles that are 1.8 mm long. I guess one could use those and "manually" take care to only insert them less than half their length. Do you have any other suggestions? E.g. for 0.5 mm needles one might purchase elsewhere, or something else.

Thanks!

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 04:52:49 PM »
I have already explained in this forum thread why I do not recommend long needles.

You can use our 0.5 mm dermastamp.

nidu

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 05:04:13 AM »
I have already explained in this forum thread why I do not recommend long needles.

You can use our 0.5 mm dermastamp.
My follow-up question then is why single needles of length 0.5 mm are not offered?

SarahVaughter

• www.owndoc.com
  • Administrator
  • Medical journalist
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 06:54:08 AM »
Because the number of buyers would be extremely few, so few that we would not be able to recoup our investment.